New Illinois football field design

illini1

I really like the design. I'm sure the reason it is off-center is so that the eastern border could be used for the 45 yard line. If you shrunk it down to go from 45yd line to 45yd line the "I" would then be offset.

I wonder if any other schools will add the state outline to their football field. In basketball it has been done numerous times.

Texas

erwin_center_july09_8001.jpg

Texas A&M

reedarena-lg.jpg

and possible one of the originals, North Carolina

137909787_extra_large.jpg

I know that when Larry Brown & Roy Williams were at Kansas they had a similar design to UNC's.

KUHawks.png

I like the state outline at Assembly Hall, but this one seems a little forced. It just looks empty that it's a white outline without being colored in. And I preferred the last midfield logo with only the white outline, but I get that the double outline is the official logo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

They're currently installing this new field. I hate it. It's unimaginative and the state outline is off center. It's 3 yards farther to the left.

30110c3d.jpg

Because the state is just an outline that isn't colored in, it can't be centered. The right side of the state, which is parallel to the yardage line, must line up with the 45-yard line. If not, it would confuse players on the field as where the yardage lines are.

(And maybe they don't want the "I" to be hanging out of the state with the seriffs.)

If they just filled in the state with blue or orange, then it can be centered.

Go A's!

The field isn't bad. The midfield logo works because the colored I is centered on the field, and reasonably centered within the state. If you shift the state outline a yard and a half to the right, the overall look would look more off centered.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Texas (and I think A&M, as well) both used the Texas state outline on their respective fields in the early 90's. I can't seem to find any pictures, but it can been seen on grainy youtube clips.

State outlines can look very good. I like the new field a lot! Here's my personal favorite state outline field:

fieldyarrr.jpg

Which college is that? I'm guessing East Carolina.

Yes, ECU. It looks really nice!

I'll add that ECU's field is the pinnacle of state outlines on a football field. Maybe a little too cartoony for a more traditional program, but terrific for them. It looks great on tv.

Except for the OP's initial complaint, the tips stretching from the 32, to the 38 yard lines. :lol:

Archived