The Olympics in Milwaukee?

illwauk

Closest you could get for skiing to NYC would be either Mountain Creek or the Poconos.

It could be doable I guess, but NYC isn't exactly a winter wonderland. Pretty much every outdoor event would have to be held well outside of the city.

Sounds similar to the Vancouver problem to me. How much snow does Vancouver get?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Closest you could get for skiing to NYC would be either Mountain Creek or the Poconos.

It could be doable I guess, but NYC isn't exactly a winter wonderland. Pretty much every outdoor event would have to be held well outside of the city.

Sounds similar to the Vancouver problem to me. How much snow does Vancouver get?

Not sure if the exact amount but I know its not much. And both Mount Vernon and the Poconos are closer to NYC then Vancouver is to Whistler Creekside.

Logistically it would be possible to do. The biggest problem would stroking all of the political egos that would come with having an Olympics staged in potentially three different states. We're not going to let you use Mountain Creek for snowboarding unless you guarantee at least one event for the Prudential Center. Or you can use the Poconos but we want larger percentage of the revenue then the events there would generate because you don't have any other option. That type of crap.

Didn't the Atlanta Olympics farm out some events to, like, eastern Tennessee or something?

The only two were canoeing to Tennessee because where are you going to canoe outdoors in a land locked city? And soccer which pretty much every city does.

I believe there was at least some soccer at Legion Field in Birmingham in '96.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the Midwest runs into problems with skiing. You need real mountains.

Just gather up old Brett Favre jerseys. You'll have your mountain in no time.

Quebec City cancelled a winter Olympic bid when it turned out Montmorency Park or whatever they wanted to use had insufficient elevation, and they weren't allowed to use anything in upstate NY.

Does the IOC have a rule against bi-national bids? There is a semi-serious suggestion floating around that Toronto make a bid and have some events in a US city: Buffalo, Chicago or Detroit.

I'm not sure if it's a rule, but it's very strongly discouraged at the least.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think the Midwest runs into problems with skiing. You need real mountains.

When I was a kid, the Twin Cities was dipping it's toes into making a bid for the Summer Games. I grew up in an inner-ring suburb (50 yards from Minneapolis) with a 15-minute drive to downtown. I thought "cool". I remember my dad reacting incredibly negatively to it because of the traffic, crowds, etc. I've never had the, uh, pleasure of being in an Olympic city during the games, but I tend to think it would be too much of a zoo for my liking.

I remember this too. They narrowly lost out to Atlanta for the US bid for '96 (or rather, Minneapolis did; officially only one city is allowed to be named in the bid). IIRC it came down to more hotel space in metro Atlanta. Supposedly Minneapolis would have beaten out all the international cities if it had been the US bidder instead of Atlanta. Needless to say, in retrospect most Minnesotans believed we dodged a huge bullet there.

The National Sports Center complex in Blaine is the largest remaining remnant of Minneapolis's failed bid. The original idea was to put the Olympic stadium and Village there along with any other venues that the Twin Cities area didn't already have (which wasn't many; in fact this was one of the biggest things the Minneapolis bid had going for it). The main Olympic stadium would have gone there (the smaller one built in its place is now home to Stars FC; once upon a time it had a running track and everything), along with a cycling velodrome (which also wound up being built anyway) and a multipurpose indoor sports complex (this was never built, though a multi-rink ice arena was added to the complex in the '90s). After the Games, the whole complex would have been repurposed as a new, relocated and much larger Minnesota State Fairgrounds (the current, aging one is hemmed in by St. Paul and surrounding suburbs).

After Chicago lost out to Rio for 2016, there was another, short-lived effort for a Minneapolis 2020 bid, but that died on the vine when the USOC opted to sit out the bidding for that year. In any case, that was apparently little more than a back-door attempt to get the new Vikings stadium built (presumably, it would have been the main Olympic stadium first).

CCSLC signature.png

Quebec City cancelled a winter Olympic bid when it turned out Montmorency Park or whatever they wanted to use had insufficient elevation, and they weren't allowed to use anything in upstate NY.

Does the IOC have a rule against bi-national bids? There is a semi-serious suggestion floating around that Toronto make a bid and have some events in a US city: Buffalo, Chicago or Detroit.

Every once in awhile a few countries kick the idea around but I don't think there's ever been a formal binational bid.

Someone (or a group of someones) think Boston/New England can pull it off:

http://www.bostonwinterolympics.com/

The kid in me is "YESYESYES" but I don't know if Boston/New England could pull it off. Traffic around Boston is already horrific, and this will only make it worse.

The website does make a convincing argument, though.

spacer.png

Every once in awhile a few countries kick the idea around but I don't think there's ever been a formal binational bid.

The kid in me is "YESYESYES" but I don't know if Boston/New England could pull it off. Traffic around Boston is already horrific, and this will only make it worse.

The idea of having the opening and closing ceremonies at Fenway is pretty cool, as is having medal ceremonies in Boston Common. But there's no way in hell that TD Garden would host figure skating, it would probably be held at the same venue as the short-track speed skating events. Matthews Arena would be far too small though, considering Pacific Coliseum, which hosted the same events, is about 4 times bigger.

The idea of having the opening and closing ceremonies at Fenway is pretty cool, as is having medal ceremonies in Boston Common. But there's no way in hell that TD Garden would host figure skating, it would probably be held at the same venue as the short-track speed skating events. Matthews Arena would be far too small though, considering Pacific Coliseum, which hosted the same events, is about 4 times bigger.

The Garden would host Figure Skating. The top indoor venue always hosts figure skating. My guess for hockey would be Conte. Maybe they go west to the DCU Center, but I think Conte would be big enough.

The biggest problem for Boston would be like NYC in that they would have to outsource some of the outdoor venues to other states, mainly skiing. (probably to New Hampshire) Although I don't think it would be nearly be as bad. You could still do a decent amount of venues in Massachusetts or in the Boston metro area. So I think Boston would be in a much better spot then New York would be in terms of hammering out all the political BS.

The idea of having the opening and closing ceremonies at Fenway is pretty cool,

You need a bigger venue (capacity wise) than Fenway for opening and closing ceremonies.

EDIT: Well, maybe not.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

You need a bigger venue (capacity wise) than Fenway for opening and closing ceremonies.

I was thinking they would probably do it in Gillette myself.

They might be able to do something with Fenway though. Curling, speed skating. Even though the two are indoor venues, might be able to get an exception for them.

They might be able to do something with Fenway though. Curling, speed skating. Even though the two are indoor venues, might be able to get an exception for them.

I was thinking about that too, but Gillette is, basically, in no-mans land. A lot of people don't realize that it's quite a ways away from metro Boston.

spacer.png

I was thinking about that too, but Gillette is, basically, in no-mans land. A lot of people don't realize that it's quite a ways away from metro Boston.

Yeah its pretty much equidistant from Providence and Boston, and getting in and out of there would be/is a major pain in the ass for alot of people.

Still its the largest stadium you can get and there's not much room at Fenway for alot of the TV trucks and storage you would need to hold the opening ceremonies, So it may not even be possible to have it at Fenway, even though the capacity, history and fan convenience are all there.

Push comes to shove I rather sacrifice fan experience over logistics, although if it was possible to host this kind of event at Fenway I wouldn't object to it if enough people felt strongly about having it there.

EDIT: Well, maybe not.

How about Alumni Stadium at Boston College?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I went there a few years back for a soccer game, and it took 2 hours to get there from Boston and 2 hours back. It was :censored:ing brutal.

I went there a few years back for a soccer game, and it took 2 hours to get there from Boston and 2 hours back. It was :censored:ing brutal.

I've been there twice myself. Both for events where the stadium was only half full (at least by the time I left) and it still took over an hour for me to get out of there.

If you want to blame somebody, blame the Massachusetts state government for giving the Pats such a sweetheart deal to stay because they were going to move to Hartford otherwise. But for how bad the road situation is at Gillette it would take nearly just as long to drive to and from Hartford for a game.

Archived