OKC Thunder Alternate Uni

Digs

There's been some talk around that the Thunder will add an alternate uniform for the upcoming season, so I thought I would have a crack at the concept myself.

Like most people, I'm not a huge fan of the Thunder's branding, colours and uniforms - although with the team's rapid rise to prominence, it's safe to say these won't be changing (at least until Kevin Durant retires). Hence, I've tried to maintain some sort of consistency with the home/road designs, but the main departures are as follows:

- Limited the colours to 3 (down from 5 on the home uni), with the dark blue as primary. I've used the orange from the OKC logo (officially Thunder uses "red-orange" on the jersey, but then uses this more burnt-orange hue in logos/branding etc. Nevertheless, I think the straight-out orange goes better with the two blues.

- The side panels follow a similar form to those on the primary jersey, but I've converted them into a "lightning-bolt" stripe down the side (and yes, I'm aware of the difference between thunder & lightning, but it still works as a representation I think).

- Being an alternate, I've gone for "OKC" as the main wordmark - think this is a no-brainer. I know the vertical type may be controversial to some, but I think it works pretty well - a touch of old school for a team without much history.

- Have used a embroidered effect on the lines/piping (you may not be able to see this without being able to zoom in more), although not sure if this would be feasible for mass-produced jerseys.

- Used a round neck instead of the regular v-neck - I felt it just suited the whole look a lot better.

Anyway, here's the concept:

316f335c.jpg

I'm still very much in the process of learning the Illustrator ropes, so any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. Enjoy!

The shades of blue are too similar. From a distance, the numbers wouldn't be legible. Make them white. And while I understand what you were going for with the side panels, it doesn't work for me. It reminds me of these fail whales:

x4rvdizhi7jy0o9efzgjjrfwc.gif

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Fair call on the vertical numbers, probably not a go. Just out of curiosity, has an NBA team ever used vertical numbers on the front of a jersey?

Here's a version with horizontal & white numbers as suggested. Not quite sure the white works, but let me know what you think:

c02a6abe.jpg

Here's another one - the same but with orange numbers (I think I prefer this one):

abde9599.jpg

And one more - this time with the horizontal wordmark on the front as well:

61c963cd.jpg

Archived