Idaho Vandals to use black helmet fulltime?

dcameronh

I have seen the pics of the Idaho Vandals new black helmet and I thought it was just an alternate helmet. But today I noticed on the WAC website, they are showing the Idaho helmet as the new black one. Is this a full time change? Does anyone know? Anyone know or seen if they are getting all new uniforms as well?

WAC Football Preview: http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10100&ATCLID=205576725

Idaho Helmet shown at the link above:Idaho_C.gif

Apparently the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl has its own mascot. This isn't really related to the Vandals, per se, but when I Googled "Idaho Football," this guy came up.

nebraska-football-knee-jerk-reactions-first-d-L-V7O4JT.jpeg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl has its own mascot. This isn't really related to the Vandals, per se, but when I Googled "Idaho Football," this guy came up.

nebraska-football-knee-jerk-reactions-first-d-L-V7O4JT.jpeg

Hell, they should stick that guy on the helmet. The Idaho Spuds.

Why are they being forced to move down ?

The WAC is dropping football. Unless Idaho can find a conference to take them, they're SOL.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Idaho moving down is probably best for them. Idaho is always overshadowed by WSU only 8 miles away. It's tough to get great D-1 athletes when you're located in the Palouse, have the Kibbie Dome, and are always second fiddle to a bigger school just across the state border.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Plus the only reason they're at this level in the first place is because of state politics. There's always been no shortage of UI alums in the Idaho state government, and their jealousy of Boise State (and Wazzu I guess) drove them to let Idaho move up to FBS status at the same time as BSU when they were nowhere near as ready. Ironically, their attempt to leech off their big brothers completely backfired on them and has damn near killed UI's football program.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Plus the only reason they're at this level in the first place is because of state politics. There's always been no shortage of UI alums in the Idaho state government, and their jealousy of Boise State (and Wazzu I guess) drove them to let Idaho move up to FBS status at the same time as BSU when they were nowhere near as ready. Ironically, their attempt to leech off their big brothers completely backfired on them and has damn near killed UI's football program.

As I recall, during the time period just before Idaho and BSU's jump, both schools were pretty good and had developed a healthy rivalry. The difference is BSU didn't skip a beat after the jump while Idaho struggled. But then I grew up in Eastern Idaho, so I didn't really follow either school. I'd like to see a few more Big Sky schools--like Montana and Weber State--make the jump, but it will probably never happen.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

As I recall, during the time period just before Idaho and BSU's jump, both schools were pretty good and had developed a healthy rivalry. The difference is BSU didn't skip a beat after the jump while Idaho struggled.

The biggest difference is that Bronco Stadium had 20,000 seats with plans to expand to 30,000 the next year, while the KibbieDome only had (and still only has) 16,000 seats.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

As I recall, during the time period just before Idaho and BSU's jump, both schools were pretty good and had developed a healthy rivalry. The difference is BSU didn't skip a beat after the jump while Idaho struggled.

The biggest difference is that Bronco Stadium had 20,000 seats with plans to expand to 30,000 the next year, while the KibbieDome only had (and still only has) 16,000 seats.

Agreed with both of you. I just remembered Idaho played home games at WSU's Martin Stadium for a couple years to "boost" the attendance and meet D-1 requirements. Idaho had a decent team in late 90s but couldn't sustain it. Boise had Bart Hendricks, and thanks to a couple of bowl games in 1999 and 2000, the Broncos' program really took off.

OT: LSU's yellow-purple-yellow look is really sharp, I think. I wish the purple used on the helmet stripes and helmet decals was more purple rather than navy/black.

• 2 months later...

Archived