Football (soccer) has it right

mjrbaseball

Yes, color-vs-color games should happen more in pro sports. Can you imagine how great a Blackhawks-Rangers game would look if both teams wore their colored jerseys?

That'd be a nightmare for on-ice officials, off-ice officials, stat-keepers and media. I've covered color v. color hockey games and it was not fun.

Uh, just so we're clear, you do know that the Rangers wear blue-blue-red-blue and the Blackhawks wear black-red-black-red, right? They contrast in every way.

Uh, just so we're clear, what looks cool and neato for a fan is different than what working professionals need. Hockey is so fast that anything that distracts the eye could be a problem. Dark vs. white is much easier than dark vs. dark to deal with if you're looking for details.

But no, even though I'm on this message board and covered the sport for five years, I don't know what the Blackhawks and Rangers look like.

Clearly you didn't read my first post on this thread. I'm not somebody who hasn't been around sports and just wants things because they'd look awesome.

Yes, it'd be a nightmare.

I'm sorry, but that was out of line. Clearly I made one assumption too many but there was no need for you to rip my head off like that.

if you don't like how people respond to your sarcasm or disrespect then don't be sarcastic or disrespectful.

Back on topic, as TWI said, the reason it wouldn't work is because of how cluttered hockey is in comparison to soccer. It's a faster game in a tighter playing surface.

And the ideal solution for hockey for what to wear at home is white in the first half of the season, dark in the second, then white in the playoffs. The league I covered did that and it allowed fans to see everything.

Since the only reason for the alt jersey being white in American Football and Basketball is black and white television, and since I'm pretty sure no one here has a black and white TV (maybe some one in Saskatchewan??) I see no reason for it. Look at any old school (1920's) football game picture, you will be hard pressed to find a white jersey unless the team traditionally wore white. And basketball, hell check out any AAU game on TV, the NBA all-star game..Its pointless unless there is a uniform clash.

The OP is dead on.

I think color-vs.-color works, but only sometimes. Yellow vs black is great, or red vs navy... great. But maroon vs navy, for example, would be a nightmare. As it stands with the current color vs whiet standard, I think yellow vs white, or powder blue vs white matchups are too similar. The nice thing about soccer is that teams often have three jerseys and can wear whichever one maximizes contrast -- though, sadly, they frequently don't. If I had a dollar for every time Man City wore their damned primary kit against a team wearing royal blue...

The other thing most club soccer teams do is have non-team colored clash kits to insure contrast.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Once upon a time teams had one jersey and a second one was added a s a clash one.

From there it grew to home & away, and then the alts came followed by the throwbacks.

So why not simplify it.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

As I said in my initial post, everything would be decided in the off-season, and the league must approve. For example, Falcons at Giants. Giants choose to wear blue. Falcons are told they can't choose their black, they must pick from red or white. (If that is what there colors are, this is just an example.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

At 2:00 one of the only times I have ever seen color vs color in the NHL.

raybourque.jpg

VS

Mario_Lemieux_2001.jpg

I've been trying to find an image of it for years, but I can remember a Bruins-Red wings game at the FleetCenter where the B's wore the yellow alts while the Wings wore their red. I want to peg it around 2000. Still looking for pics, though.

patriotssignature.png

Yes, color-vs-color games should happen more in pro sports. Can you imagine how great a Blackhawks-Rangers game would look if both teams wore their colored jerseys?

That'd be a nightmare for on-ice officials, off-ice officials, stat-keepers and media. I've covered color v. color hockey games and it was not fun.

Uh, just so we're clear, you do know that the Rangers wear blue-blue-red-blue and the Blackhawks wear black-red-black-red, right? They contrast in every way.

Uh, just so we're clear, what looks cool and neato for a fan is different than what working professionals need. Hockey is so fast that anything that distracts the eye could be a problem. Dark vs. white is much easier than dark vs. dark to deal with if you're looking for details.

But no, even though I'm on this message board and covered the sport for five years, I don't know what the Blackhawks and Rangers look like.

Clearly you didn't read my first post on this thread. I'm not somebody who hasn't been around sports and just wants things because they'd look awesome.

Yes, it'd be a nightmare.

0112elias2.jpg

that game was brutal to watch as a fan. i actually loved both jerseys, i own the maroon one.

It was brutal because 1) the shades used were both rather dark and 2) it was before the era of widespread high definition.

The primary/clash kit idea could work in the NHL, provided that in the event that a clash kit needs to be worn it's the home team that changes. It goes against notions of home team advantages but it would make it easier on the equipment staffs of teams on the road.

The primary/clash kit idea could work in the NHL, provided that in the event that a clash kit needs to be worn it's the home team that changes. It goes against notions of home team advantages but it would make it easier on the equipment staffs of teams on the road.

Again I say, all uniform choices should be finalized in the off-season, so there are no last-minute conflicts to deal with.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived