gordie_delini

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gordie - Thanks for all the responses.

When a team has a logo designed that is a letter (I'm thinking of the Badgers' motion-W), how easy is it to design the rest of the alphabet around that logo? I ask because many high schools in Wisconsin use a derivative of the motion-W.

That's interesting. But it also helps explain why they rolled out the new number font.

Would any pro NFL teams need to adjust their number sizes as well if they were to opt for that stripe solution? Or I suppose they (the teams as well as whoever in Nike deals with uniform construction) might look at reducing the size of the stripes to accomodate the existing numbers?

I'm going to guess Buc has nailed it as to why a change in template for the Colts or Jets to the new LSU template would necessarily constitute a re-design.

It's where I sit.

Buc: Yes, a team moving into the new LSU block would need a narrower number font, since that area isn't as wide as the standard speed machine block. Whether or not that happens is another matter entirely.

BlazerBlaze: That's not something I'm really privvy to. That's tech design, not apparel, though my understanding is that there's some input from the apparel designers but I can't say for certain. And no, there are no incentives from us whatsoever for teams that do well.

Sec19Row53: Honestly that depends on the logo. Usually designers tend to shy away from creating an entire font based on a logotype. It really de-emphasizes the logo itself, so a designer will usually create a complimentary typeface. Creating a single character thats derivative is another thing entirely. And yes, all those factors go into a total redesign rather than just an update.

OD_Signature.jpg

That brings about an interesting point...

As a referee, I know that NCAA rules prohibit exposed padding, for safety concerns. Yet more and more tighter fitting uniforms, like adidas techfit and Nike Flywire etc cause shoulder pads to pop out of the sleeve holes and those Douglas back pads to come out as well.

Officially (no pun), that player needs to fix the exposed padding, or leave the game until that problem is rectified. Unfortunately, this issue is so rampant it's not possible to stop the games that often to fix them.

How much is this taken into account with the designing? Are there efforts on your end to fix it, maybe extending the sleeves down a bit or reducing the size of the armpit hole?

Aside from the aesthetics of it (no one really needs to see anyone's armpits out there), the fact is forces the padding to pop out seems like it can be more of a hazard than anything.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Slapshot: These are more issues on the tech design side, as I've discussed before. It's not really something that apparel designers have much of a say in. I'm sure there are efforts to make sure that doesn't happen, but you can't control how shoulder pads move on a player within a game situation. We design things to fit on a mannequin, and of course there are live tests, but ultimately there's no guarantee that the pads will stay in the jersey during play. That's not to say it isn't considered - it is, but it's not a priority factor compared to something like weight or comfort. I can't back that up 100% of course since I'm not involved with tech design, but I'd imagine that's the though process.

OD_Signature.jpg

So on that side, does the tech design side come up with the specific shape, panelling, materials/texture first, then send it to apparel design for styling?

For example, when the new LSU bowl uniforms came out, were they first designed by tech (with different panels to fit the shoulder hoops), then sent to your department to design the new custom font?

Slapshot: Yes, that's exactly how it works. The tech designers will design the physical garment itself as you described (materials, shape, fit, panels, seams, stitch styles, etc.) and then will hand it off to apparel to apply graphics. That's all we really do - we put graphics onto the existing garment design. So in your example, yes, tech design figured out the cut of the jersey for LSU, how far down the stripes came, etc. Then it was up to us in the NCAA design group to figure out the width of the stripes in the panel, how large to make the numbers, neck patches, etc. It was in this phase that we saw that the center panel was too small to carry over LSU's old numbers and so they were subsequently redesigned. Make sense?

OD_Signature.jpg

Perfect sense.

I wish the tech designers from all the companies would do a bit more field testing to see how the finished products react under game situations. I've seen kids step off their buses in full uniform with the pads already sticking out (granted, they may be wearing a smaller jersey than necessary).

I know that sometimes in the course of game action, uniform parts and equipment shift. That's to be expected in pretty much any sport. But I can't imagine that the techies see all the armpits and exposed padding and think it's supposed to look that way.

Either way, it's taking away from the general conversation. Thanks for your input about it.

Perfect sense.

I wish the tech designers from all the companies would do a bit more field testing to see how the finished products react under game situations. I've seen kids step off their buses in full uniform with the pads already sticking out (granted, they may be wearing a smaller jersey than necessary).

I know that sometimes in the course of game action, uniform parts and equipment shift. That's to be expected in pretty much any sport. But I can't imagine that the techies see all the armpits and exposed padding and think it's supposed to look that way.

Either way, it's taking away from the general conversation. Thanks for your input about it.

Linemen wear smaller jerseys so the opposing linemen have a harder time grabbing their jersey, it also allows greater range of motion. Other than that its player preference.

Griffinmarlins: We could, but why would we do that to compromise the breathability of the jersey? The intent of lengthening the stripes down was to give LSU more of their signature look while maintaining the benefits of the speed machine uniform. And no, LSU's old numbers can't fit on the new jersey. The stripes coming down further decreased the live area width on the main part of the jersey, so those numbers had to be redesigned.

You're already compromising the breathability of the jersey by going with the speed machine instead of the newer hypercool template. Why not just sacrifice a little more?

Griffinmarlins: We could, but why would we do that to compromise the breathability of the jersey? The intent of lengthening the stripes down was to give LSU more of their signature look while maintaining the benefits of the speed machine uniform. And no, LSU's old numbers can't fit on the new jersey. The stripes coming down further decreased the live area width on the main part of the jersey, so those numbers had to be redesigned.

You're already compromising the breathability of the jersey by going with the speed machine instead of the newer hypercool template. Why not just sacrifice a little more?

I just want to say your sig cracks me up every time. It's nonsense.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Hey Gordie was it true that that Nike couldn't duplicate Midnight Green?... that's what was rumored for why the eagles didn't switch over?

I know that the Nike produced merchandise doesn't match to the jerseys

And is it something that's been worked on that you know of? (Though I wish we went back to our old green TBH)

Hey Gordie was it true that that Nike couldn't duplicate Midnight Green?... that's what was rumored for why the eagles didn't switch over?

I know that the Nike produced merchandise doesn't match to the jerseys

And is it something that's been worked on that you know of? (Though I wish we went back to our old green TBH)

If that's true, I guess they'll just have to go to Kelly Green. :)

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Kiltman: I don't believe that was the case, but I can't tell you for sure. Nike has so many colors there's got to be one that matches or is close, or it's even possible that they had to develop a new color. I can't tell you anything about what's coming anytime soon so you'll just have to be patient. On that note, Joshawaggie to my knowledge Kelly green ain't comin' anytime soon.

OD_Signature.jpg

Kiltman: I don't believe that was the case, but I can't tell you for sure. Nike has so many colors there's got to be one that matches or is close, or it's even possible that they had to develop a new color. I can't tell you anything about what's coming anytime soon so you'll just have to be patient. On that note, Joshawaggie to my knowledge Kelly green ain't comin' anytime soon.

Ah ok thanks Gordie....that was always the reasoning we were told why the Eagles didn't make the switch. And you are crushing my dreams that there will be no Kelly green :( I was hoping for at least an alternate at some point soon.

Really I just want a real green again....I actually like Nike's version of midnight green though....I think they called it Eagle Green in the new merchandise. Less blue in it than before so it reduced the teal effect it could have.

I'll be patient :) fingers crossed for a change.

Archived