2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

"an earlier start time would create such enormous logistical difficulties that it would greatly diminish the fan experience" OH FOR :censored: 'S SAKE I'M ALL FOR STANDING YOUR GROUND BUT YOU RESCHEDULE GAMES BECAUSE OF RAIN ALL THE FLIPPIN' TIME! DON'T GIVE ME THAT "LOGISTICAL DIFFICULTIES" CRAP!

I think they meant the logistics of emptying Camden Yards and the shared parking lot before the Ravens game . . . particularly with all of the opening game festivities that the NFL likes to schedule.

I have no idea how the people of Baltimore think when it comes to sports. Will there be a backlash on the Orioles?

The Orioles have been getting a lot of backlash so far, but the amount has been decreasing. People are starting to realize that isn't/wasn't their call alone, but also involves MLB, the White Sox and the MLBPA. Check back in a week or two.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard that on the radio the other day (Jewish holiday conflict). Yet they routinely play on Thanksgiving and Christmas...hmmm...

You can't really compare Thanksgiving or Christmas with Rosh Hashanah.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I heard that on the radio the other day (Jewish holiday conflict). Yet they routinely play on Thanksgiving and Christmas...hmmm...

But didn't the NFL used to avoid scheduling games on Christmas? It seems that today's statement on not moving the opening game to that Wednesday is hypocritical, knowing they'll side with a holiday less than 5% of Americans observe, to play games on the most celebrated formal holiday in the nation.

As a follow up to my earlier post, the tone of public opinion on the Orioles-Ravens scheduling issue seems to have changed a bit just since yesterday. I read through the comments of several articles and more people are starting to place the blame on the NFL (as in the league, not the Ravens) and, to a lesser degree, NBC. The sense seems to be that the NFL was determined to play the game Thursday night wherever it took place.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

How so?

My basic opinion of the NFL is that the game is inherently dangerous and there's nothing you can do to take that element of danger out without significantly changing the way the sport is played.

I'm perfectly happy with doing just that.

You and about six other people may be willing to watch flag football. Not so many others. And don't try and paint me as opposed to player safety because I'm not. This slide (or as you'd probably call it, "reform") started with the QB protection rules and it's escalated from there. My point is that there's a line and once it's crossed the NFL may be shocked at how fast people tune out.

The other problem is as stated earlier: the more rules, the more control the refs have. I don't want to see the referee on camera more than the two starting QBs combined. And all it does is breed more and more controversy over what should have been called and wasn't and what shouldn't have been called but was.

There's already enough of that. This year's SB has been talked to death but how about Harrison's INT return vs. Arizona? If the blatant block in the back is called maybe the Cardinals have a ring. I didn't care who won but I want the game called fairly.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

And just when you think the Flacco Curse on the Ravens is safe, bam, the team is over seeded by its MLB counterpart.

And according to this article, I'm just chuckling at the reason the NFL didn't want to move the Ravens' opener to Wednesday. The only other equivalent moment I can think of where a Jewish holiday inferred with sports was with Sandy Koufax.

Damn Jewish Zionist Conspiracy has its tentacles in the NFL now! :rolleyes:

How so?

Christmas is a celebratory time. For Christians it's about celebrating the birth of your saviour, and it's time of family togetherness. Even some non-Christians celebrate the holiday because of its strong sense family and peace on earth. It's a very happy, festive holiday.

Rosh Hashanah kicks off the Jewish High Holidays, being shortly followed (ten days) by Yom Kippur. The High Holidays represent atoning for all your sins from the past year and spending entire days in temple praying for G-d to place your name in the "Book of Life" for the upcoming year. While Christmas carols are joyous Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur have some of the most haunting hymns you'll ever hear at a religious service.

One of these holidays is perfectly suited to marquee sporting matchups as a continuation of the festivities. The other is not.

And just when you think the Flacco Curse on the Ravens is safe, bam, the team is over seeded by its MLB counterpart.

And according to this article, I'm just chuckling at the reason the NFL didn't want to move the Ravens' opener to Wednesday. The only other equivalent moment I can think of where a Jewish holiday inferred with sports was with Sandy Koufax.

How so?

Christmas is a celebratory time. For Christians it's about celebrating the birth of your saviour, and it's time of family togetherness. Even some non-Christians celebrate the holiday because of its strong sense family and peace on earth. It's a very happy, festive holiday.

Rosh Hashanah kicks off the Jewish High Holidays, being shortly followed (ten days) by Yom Kippur. The High Holidays represent atoning for all your sins from the past year and spending entire days in temple praying for G-d to place your name in the "Book of Life" for the upcoming year. While Christmas carols are joyous Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur have some of the most haunting hymns you'll ever hear at a religious service.

One of these holidays is perfectly suited to marquee sporting matchups as a continuation of the festivities. The other is not.

If you say so.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

How so?

If you say so.

I think I know a bit more about my religion then you do.

You and about six other people may be willing to watch flag football. Not so many others. And don't try and paint me as opposed to player safety because I'm not. This slide (or as you'd probably call it, "reform") started with the QB protection rules and it's escalated from there. My point is that there's a line and once it's crossed the NFL may be shocked at how fast people tune out.

I'm sure there were plenty of people who were opposed to reform back in 1905-6 because it would "destroy the game" as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How so?

If you say so.

People can debate anything here.

I'll just say the NFL cares that much about this day, I want to see them move games when the start of Rosh Hashanah falls on a Sunday. They didn't last year when it was the case. In fact they had a Sunday night game in San Francisco which has one of the largest Jewish populations in the country.

Interesting how there's no issue with playing on Rosh Hashanah when the NFL willingly schedules games on that date.

My basic opinion of the NFL is that the game is inherently dangerous and there's nothing you can do to take that element of danger out without significantly changing the way the sport is played.

I'm perfectly happy with doing just that.

You and about six other people may be willing to watch flag football. Not so many others.

You watch a rugby match and tell me that it's "flag football". :rolleyes:

If you say so.

People can debate anything here.

Seems that way.

I'll just say the NFL cares that much about this day, I want to see them move games when the start of Rosh Hashanah falls on a Sunday. They didn't last year when it was the case. In fact they had a Sunday night game in San Francisco which has one of the largest Jewish populations in the country.

Interesting how there's no issue with playing on Rosh Hashanah when the NFL willingly schedules games on that date.

For the record I really don't care if the NFL plays on Rosh Hashanah or not.

My issues were with BlueSky's "isn't it funny how they don't cancel games for Thanksgiving and Christmas but they do for some Jewish holiday hmmmmmmm?" as if to imply that there's a worldwide Zionist conspiracy that's set its sights on his beloved NFL. Never mind the fact that a worldwide Jewish conspiracy only exists in the minds of idiots and bigots. Even if it one did exist I'd like to think a worldwide conspiracy, Jewish or otherwise, would have more pressing matters then causing minor scheduling inconveniences for the NFL.

That's on top of his "if you say so" comment. Excuse me sparky, but I've taken part in this holiday every year since I was born. I think I can speak with authority as to what it's all about.

Archived