2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha...the Cowboys are so :censored:ing stupid. Romo is the worst, he'll never won anything, and now the Cowboys have less money to spend on actual good football players. I know a tall handsome white guy that bangs fat country singers and cheerleaders is the Texan ideal, but they can be had for cheaper. So dumb.

They really did not have any other viable option. In essence, their options were:

1-Extend him to long term contract and thus lessen his cap number for 2013

2-Both parties refuse and play out his contract at a cap number close of $16.818M and you have nothing at QB in 2014 but Kyle Orton who would be in the last year of his contract.

Reports is that his signing bonus is $25M, but his cap number was not reduced that much. Todd Archer (Dallas Morning News) reports that Romo's 2013 cap number is $11.818M. It is lower than other non-Super Bowl winning QBs like Rivers, Stafford, Palmer and even Kolb, it is not a cap friendly Flacco's is this year. Plus, this Romo contract will probably be restructured again in one to two seasons. Heck, they signed Brandon Carr last year as a FA and already restructured that contract earlier this month.

The Cowboys still have to find about another $3M in cap room just to sign their upcoming draft class. So releasing/extending Doug Free at a lower base salary is going to be one way or signing Anthony Spencer to a long term deal at a level lower than his current franchise tag of $10.6M. He and his agent better think about it soon since the free agents this off season didn't really cash in. At his position, he can look at Cliff Avril to see the marketplace for next year since the cap is not going to go up much in 2014. Or he can look at Jake Long who at LT signed with the Rams for less money than what Ben Grubbs got last year at OG.

Raiders are apparently front runners to acquire Matt Flynn. Seattle gets two 1sts? (joke)

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

As much as I loathe the seemingly endless mediocrity in Detroit, one thing I'm quickly becoming thankful for is stability at the QB position.

I can't imagine being an Arizona, Oakland, Buffalo, etc. fan...

I think Arizona is the only team with an actual plan out of those three.

I never understood why Buffalo became convinced Ryan Fitzpatrick was the man. Okay maybe he deserved the starting job, but never did I think he was anything above average. Why would you commit long term like that to someone like that? That's at best a year to year solution. I don't think they look at Kevin Kolb as the answer either, but who else is out there? This was one the weakest years ever for available QB's.

Oakland is just a mess. Here's my thing with Palmer. If you put his numbers side by side with either Joe Flacco or Eli Manning, you can't tell the difference. So why is he the one being asked to take a paycut, meanwhile a guy who barely averaged 3 yards a carry last year and is the highest paid player on the team, gets to keep his contract as is. God forbid we should rock the boat with our 60 yard a game rusher. That would doom the franchise's rebuilding efforts if he were to pack up and go.

In that regard I don't blame Palmer one bit for just saying screw this I'm out of here if that's going to be the case. If I have to take a paycut, its not going to be so I can keep being the starting QB for a team that went 4-12 when I'm coming off a season where I passed for over 4,000 yards and a guy with almost identical regular season numbers as me just got the richest contract in NFL history. Somebody else will take a chance on Carson Palmer as a starting QB, and its very likely they will be in a better position then Oakland next year to make the playoffs.

Plus, Palmer's been in Oakland two years and he's already restructured his contract twice. This would make it three for three. That has to get old after a while.

I don't think Palmer will ever get over wasting his golden years on crappy franchises. Cincinnati tried their best but it wasn't ever going to be good enough. Oakland's been a tire-spinning experience at best. He'll probably end up in Arizona and be a faint shade of Kurt Warner.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oakland is just a mess. Here's my thing with Palmer. If you put his numbers side by side with either Joe Flacco or Eli Manning, you can't tell the difference. So why is he the one being asked to take a paycut, meanwhile a guy who barely averaged 3 yards a carry last year and is the highest paid player on the team, gets to keep his contract as is. God forbid we should rock the boat with our 60 yard a game rusher. That would doom the franchise's rebuilding efforts if he were to pack up and go.

In that regard I don't blame Palmer one bit for just saying screw this I'm out of here if that's going to be the case. If I have to take a paycut, its not going to be so I can keep being the starting QB for a team that went 4-12 when I'm coming off a season where I passed for over 4,000 yards and a guy with almost identical regular season numbers as me just got the richest contract in NFL history. Somebody else will take a chance on Carson Palmer as a starting QB, and its very likely they will be in a better position then Oakland next year to make the playoffs.

McFadden did really well under Hue Jackson's power running scheme in 2010 and 11, but cratered last year under zone blocking. Still though, with McFadden its the same story every year no matter what: he can't stay healthy, and it makes no sense to pay him that much. Oakland doesn't have a suitable backup either. At least Michael Bush filled in admirably in 2011(Remember the 240 total yards against the Chargers?). Hell, what reliable receivers/ tight ends does the Raiders have besides maybe Denarius Moore at the moment?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

McFadden did really well under Hue Jackson's power running scheme in 2010 and 11, but cratered last year under zone blocking. Still though, with McFadden its the same story every year no matter what: he can't stay healthy, and it makes no sense to pay him that much. Oakland doesn't have a suitable backup either. At least Michael Bush filled in admirably in 2011(Remember the 240 total yards against the Chargers?). Hell, what reliable receivers/ tight ends does the Raiders have besides maybe Denarius Moore at the moment?

I mean them keeping Hue Jackson and Michael Bush would imply they know what they are doing. They don't. Almost nothing Oakland does make sense. Fire the guy that went 8-8 in his first year, but keep the guy that went 4-12. Trade for Carson Palmer like he's a perennial 5,000 yard a year passer. Spend a ton of money on signing Richard Seymour when you have a lot of holes to fill in, then wonder why his addition didn't suddenly turn your defense into one of the best in the NFL. Could have sworn a defense ranked in the mid-20's was just one missing piece away from turning it around.

Its a franchise going nowhere. They're not rebuilding mode, they're in we suck mode. They can't draft, they have no front office or coaching stability and they consistently overestimate how much talent they have on the roster and how much of a difference free agent pickups will make.

Maybe that's a being a little harsh. Most of that happened under Al Davis, which I think anyone will agree with the notion that he was completely out of touch with the direction the NFL was heading in the last 20 years or so that he owned the team. Maybe it will be different under Mark Davis, but the apple typically doesn't fall far from the tree.

Mark Davis knew that Hue was a major problem. It was Hue who made the Palmer trade and also remember he went 1-4 in his last five games to end at 8-8. Hue has recently claimed that Al Davis wanted him to replace Al as GM back in 2009.

The Bills grab Kolb. The Raiders grab Flynn and is trying to trade Palmer to the Cards. All of this is happening now. I wonder if there is a Jacksonville connection. I wonder if they got word that Jax is indeed interested in Geno.

I feel bad for Flynn. Like yeah, he may not be that great, but he sure as hell won't be able to make a case that he is with the raiders. Geno would be a wasted pick for the jags too. They've got way too many holes for any QB to be successful.

I don't feel bad for Flynn. He's on his way to a starting job in the NFL with a team that wants him. I'm sure he's happy as hell.

The Raiders are the ones that look bad here. They got absolutely fleeced by the Bengals when they traded for him, and now they're having to shill him to Arizona for scraps, and you KNOW that Palmer will probably exceed expectations as a Cardinal (not saying he's going to be GOOD, but he can't be much worse than Skelton).

I don't see why the Jags would look bad drafting Geno Smith. Their QB situation is garbage and they're looking to draw big headlines this season what with their new mission statement/uniforms/etc.

twitter

I don't feel bad for Flynn. He's on his way to a starting job in the NFL with a team that wants him. I'm sure he's happy as hell.

The Raiders are the ones that look bad here. They got absolutely fleeced by the Bengals when they traded for him, and now they're having to shill him to Arizona for scraps, and you KNOW that Palmer will probably exceed expectations as a Cardinal (not saying he's going to be GOOD, but he can't be much worse than Skelton).

I don't see why the Jags would look bad drafting Geno Smith. Their QB situation is garbage and they're looking to draw big headlines this season what with their new mission statement/uniforms/etc.

I mean, I'm happy for Matt because he's getting a shot to start, but I can't imagine that he's going to succeed with that team. They're such a disaster right now. Especially after the botched trade. It was a reach when it happened and now it just looks even worse.

And I don't think the Jags would look bad, necessarily, I just don't think it's going to help. They have so many needs that throwing one guy (especially one that could be a huge reach) into the most important spot won't really help much, imo. Chad Henne is serviceable enough - I'm still not even convinced Gabbert is that terrible - that they could wait for a better QB class next year.

I mean, I'm happy for Matt because he's getting a shot to start, but I can't imagine that he's going to succeed with that team. They're such a disaster right now. Especially after the botched trade. It was a reach when it happened and now it just looks even worse.

And I don't think the Jags would look bad, necessarily, I just don't think it's going to help. They have so many needs that throwing one guy (especially one that could be a huge reach) into the most important spot won't really help much, imo. Chad Henne is serviceable enough - I'm still not even convinced Gabbert is that terrible - that they could wait for a better QB class next year.

Remember, Jags got a new gm, coach and owner since Gabbert was drafted. I have a feeling they want to make Geno their cornerstone. Both Caldwell(GM) and Bradley(Coach) cant stop gushing over him. Caldwell is from Atlanta and he likes to compare Geno to Ryan.

I can see them going DE, but QB at #2 is a real possibility. The new regime has patience. They made it no secret that this roster is terrible. I think they just want that patience with their guys. I promise you the Jags will draft a QB. I'm just not sure where.

But what is "patience" in the 2013 NFL? Two seasons? Possibly three? The last postseason had four QBs make the with one season's worth of starts or less. With a rookie contract at a four year max length, 36 games might be all a rookie qb is going to get from now on.

But what is "patience" in the 2013 NFL? Two seasons? Possibly three? The last postseason had four QBs make the with one season's worth of starts or less. With a rookie contract at a four year max length, 36 games might be all a rookie qb is going to get from now on.

I think Caldwell will get 3 seasons. That is plenty of time. Things can change drastically for a team in an offseason. Basically, Geno can afford to stink it up next year. Mediocre the second.

Edit: Just to throw in my opinion/ I think the Jags #2 pick will either be Geno or Dion Jordan. Im split 50/50.

Archived