• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hearing about the story on HBO's Real Sports, but haven't seen it yet.

I'd suggest watching it. The allegations leveled against Chivas are pretty bad. Inquiring into bloodlines of players in the youth system and forcing them out if they're not Mexican or Mexican decended, letting go of field players because they're not Mexican decended, forcing staff to learn Spanish or be fired. Basically they're looking to institutionalize racism into their team structure. It's very 1920's of them.

About time DC United gets a modern soccer-specific stadium.

And the new stadium renderings look beautiful.

I can't wait to go to a weekend afternoon Nats game immediately followed-by attending United match in the evening all within a few blocks of each other; even if both teams are lousy in 2016.

Vamos United!

About time DC United gets a modern soccer-specific stadium.

And the new stadium renderings look beautiful.

I can't wait to go to a weekend afternoon Nats game immediately followed-by attending United match in the evening all within a few blocks of each other; even if both teams are lousy in 2016.

Vamos United!

Interesting that they went the open ended route like San Jose did.

Garber: MLS expansion not question of if, but when

http://sports.yahoo....25211--mls.html

"Commissioner Garber told The Associated Press in a wide-ranging interview Monday that the league's owners plan to discuss expansion 'in great detail' during a meeting Wednesday."

"The league is going to expand. It's not an 'if,' but a 'when,' and it's a 'how many,'" Garber said. "There's lots of interest among many, many different markets, so we'll get pretty focused on establishing something firmer in the next few months."

Precourt Sports Ventures acquires Columbus Crew

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2013/07/precourt-sports-ventures-acquires-columbus-crew

"The Columbus Crew and Hunt Sports Group announced today that Precourt Sports Ventures, LLC has acquired the operating rights to the Crew. Hunt Sports Group has operated the Crew – Major League Soccer’s Charter Member – since 1996. Effective immediately, the Black & Gold become part of the privately held investment and management firm’s sports and entertainment business enterprise."

It'll be interesting to see what that means for Columbus. The Hunts have been pretty negligent of Dallas and Columbus, and were of Kansas City have well. Will having just one team allow them to focus and improve Dallas?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hopefully New England is next! But these next few years are going to be huge for US soccer. You have the best your national team has looked in a long time, a stable and growing professional league, and a strengthening second tier. Add soccer specific stadiums, and more years of increased exposure and growing attendance? Get in board now!

The renderings of the new DC United Stadium are generic renderings. Nothing final will be released until all the land swaps and everything are completed. I cant wait for the opening. I was so giddy hearing about the announcement. Its pretty impressive, the new ownership group took over a year ago promising us new digs and have delivered a deal already, after about 10-13 yrs of wrangling with the city, flirting with PG County and Baltimore, finally getting a new downtown stadium. Whatever it looks like, its gonna be beautiful cause it will be ours.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I don't like this ref cam. Feels like a bad shaky handheld cam home video

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

...and Don Garber says 24 teams in MLS by 2020.

Fix Chivas first.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I agree, San Diego would be a great place for a Chivas. They could be called Classy San Diego, and I am not just picking that name as a joke. I think it will work and it sounds Soccerish.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

...and by "fix", we mean move and rebrand.

That's exactly what I mean....with new ownership.

St. Louis doesn't have a lower division team, or a stadium, or an owner. And thusly, they're not being mentioned as one of the early candidates for one of the four teams. But there's some definite excitement going around town about the possibility.

St. Louis just recently sold out an exhibition game between Chelsea and Manchester City in fifteen minutes (and the atmosphere at the game was great). It's not sold out (yet), but ticket sales for an upcoming exhibition at the much larger Edward Jones Dome between Real Madrid and Inter Milan are going extremely well.

There's been talks of stadium explorations in downtown (actually, there's an official study out there for one plan). There's of course some possibility that development could be linked to the new Rams stadium development (not the same building, but they could go hand-in-hand.

The major issue, of course, is does the city have someone with the money and the desire to own the squad. That's the primary reason St. Louis hasn't been awarded a team in the past (and I'm now smart enough and mature enough to see an accept that—I was not 5 or so years ago), and it could be the detriment again.

However, since I've moved back to St. Louis I've looked into many ways to get involved and set up meetings with some pretty well connected and/or important people (the connections one can make on Twitter are amazing), and I've been told that I shouldn't be all that worried about ownership. I should worry about stadium sites and simply have patience.

It's ashame Stan Kroenke is already committed to Colorado because it'd be a natural fit for him to make a bid in St. Louis, and it would also do wonders for displaying his intentions with the Rams.

I think Shad Khan would also be a natural fit if he was inclined to spread his empire out further.

Remember, Khan makes his home and living in Urbana, IL and but is a fan of the city of St. Louis as that is where his family immigrated through. He tried to buy the Rams before Kroenke exercised his rights. Khan just purchased Fulham, so we know he enjoys soccer. St. Louis would be a natural place to get involved in it on the domestic level.

I'm assuming that since Stan Kroenke still owns the Rapids (according to Wiki), the MLS is not apart of the NFL's cross-ownership rule, thus Khan would be free to own a team in STL. And if I have that wrong, then it means Kroenke has already divested himself of the Rapids (to his son) and would be free to own a St. Louis team.

Either would be a win for St. Louis, but it's all just speculation. No matter what happens, I do expect some sort of bid to come forward for St. Louis.

Archived