Why the crap do you even have supporters groups? I mean yes they do it in Europe so of course we must do it here, but a significant chunk of those are identified with political movements, xenophobia, nationalism, in addition to your general mayhem and crime. Maybe the correct course is for MLS teams to sever all formal or informal ties with these groups.

Of course, if these groups are so ideologically opposed to doing things because "the man" tells them to do so, maybe they should be the ones cutting ties.

Not all supporters groups in the US are like the GSU. A lot of them actually do a good job in creating a lively atmosphere in the ground without being idiots about it. The MLS is still a growing sport and needs these supporters groups in order to help promote the league. Take a look at Seattle & Portland if you don't believe me.

Also does there need to be a reason for a bunch of fans to come together and to sing and chant? If they are being harmless then let them be at the ground and have fun.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are codes of conduct at Sounders and M's games (and presumably Seahawks games, but the NFL is the worst sport to see live so I don't know).

I'm generally in favor of civility, but I think it's also better to allow reasonable churlish behavior at sporting events. Fighting is bad, but swearing (limited to S, D, GD, A, and limited F) should be fine. Plus, You Suck :censored: is funny. And no, I don't care if a child hears it. They don't pay for their own tickets.

No, but it's likely the club does. Parents might shy away from taking young kids to matches because they perceive the atmosphere to not be family friendly. This has a twofold impact on the club's finances—one from simply losing the money the family would have spent but also one from stunting the growth of the game amongst the younger generation, which is IMO MLS's (and American soccer as a whole's) big hope.

Why the crap do you even have supporters groups? I mean yes they do it in Europe so of course we must do it here, but a significant chunk of those are identified with political movements, xenophobia, nationalism, in addition to your general mayhem and crime. Maybe the correct course is for MLS teams to sever all formal or informal ties with these groups.

Of course, if these groups are so ideologically opposed to doing things because "the man" tells them to do so, maybe they should be the ones cutting ties.

When it comes to supporters groups here, it's kind of a mixed bag. You've got groups like Timbers Army and ECS (as noted above) that are really, really good and then you've got groups like the one in Orlando and the Ultras in San Jose that just :censored: on the positive portions of supporters groups altogether.

6fQjS3M.png

To meet other people who share the same hobby. Some of my best friends I've met through my supporters group. I know that every game no matter how bad TFC will perform I'll be able to meet up with my friends pre-game at the pub. Then we will have a good time at the game and should we win or put on a good show we'll have a good time after the game. Without the supporters group I might as well show up when the game starts and leave onces it's done, and if I do that I might as well just watch at home.

1zqy8ok.gif

To meet other people who share the same hobby. Some of my best friends I've met through my supporters group. I know that every game no matter how bad TFC will perform I'll be able to meet up with my friends pre-game at the pub. Then we will have a good time at the game and should we win or put on a good show we'll have a good time after the game. Without the supporters group I might as well show up when the game starts and leave onces it's done, and if I do that I might as well just watch at home.

120% agreed!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

When it comes to supporters groups here, it's kind of a mixed bag. You've got groups like Timbers Army and ECS (as noted above) that are really, really good and then you've got groups like the one in Orlando and the Ultras in San Jose that just :censored: on the positive portions of supporters groups altogether.

I wouldn't really call it a mixed bag as much as a bag with a few bad apples. For every moronic SG there are many more good ones.

I wouldn't really call it a mixed bag as much as a bag with a few bad apples. For every moronic SG there are many more good ones.

There is always someone who ruins things. It's how it goes.

It's doesn't matter what you are talking about someone is going to take things too far or doing something bone-headed.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It's doesn't matter what you are talking about someone is going to take things too far or doing something bone-headed.

This is definitely true but I am just trying to say that I believe supporters groups have had an overall positive effect on North American Soccer.

Also does there need to be a reason for a bunch of fans to come together and to sing and chant? If they are being harmless then let them be at the ground and have fun.

I'm not questioning the "get together" part so much as I am the highly corpratized adoption of standard uniforms, fraternity/cult like behavior, and general "its a lifestyle" aspects to being in supporters groups. If nothing else there's a large mental disconnect about something this highly organized positioning itself as having ideological opposition to the management/ownership of its favorite soccer team because the soccer team is excessively corporatized and being taken away "from the fans."

It's kind of like "Keep Austin Weird" extended to the stands at the local soccer stadium.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not questioning the "get together" part so much as I am the highly corpratized adoption of standard uniforms, fraternity/cult like behavior, and general "its a lifestyle" aspects to being in supporters groups. If nothing else there's a large mental disconnect about something this highly organized positioning itself as having ideological opposition to the management/ownership of its favorite soccer team because the soccer team is excessively corporatized and being taken away "from the fans."

It's kind of like "Keep Austin Weird" extended to the stands at the local soccer stadium.

Just because this supporters group has decided to fight against Red Bull on this issue for stupid reasons doesn't mean all the other ones are like them. The Garden State Ultras are the smallest of the 3 Red Bull Supporters Groups and the only one out of the three to not go along with the front office.

Wow. The USA/Cuba Gold Cup match is on big FOX. Interesting.

Gus Johnson is still a little rusty on his soccer broadcasts.

I'm gonna head up to Chicago for the Final just so I don't have to listen to him on the call. He's downright horrible.

6fQjS3M.png

New York Red Bulls plan to give cash to fans who don't swear.

Apparently, $500 will be dolled out to their three supporting groups (ESC, Garden State Ultras, Viking Army) for every game their fans don't chant, "You Suck #ss!"

There are codes of conduct at Sounders and M's games (and presumably Seahawks games, but the NFL is the worst sport to see live so I don't know).

I'm generally in favor of civility, but I think it's also better to allow reasonable churlish behavior at sporting events. Fighting is bad, but swearing (limited to S, D, GD, A, and limited F) should be fine. Plus, You Suck :censored: is funny. And no, I don't care if a child hears it. They don't pay for their own tickets.

I went on YouTube to hear these YSA chants on goal kicks. I'll admit, it makes me laugh all the time......

This is definitely true but I am just trying to say that I believe supporters groups have had an overall positive effect on North American Soccer.

I agree man, all I'm saying is don't let the one idiot ruin it for the whole group

Archived