• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad link?

Only thing NYCFC I see there is:

And soon a new stadium will become home to the New York City Football Club, the first soccer club in the five boroughs since the 1970s.

Of is this a mobile/desktop thing?

All you have to know about soccer at Yankee Stadium is this...

yankeestadium_soccer.jpg

It's not a long term solution. It's barely a short term solution. And the Yankees themselves are not going to be pleased about it, particularly if they use that field configuration and have to screw up the pitchers mound every time the MLS team plays.

It was one line in there talking about all the new stadiums in the NYC area and what they would host and what the benefits of them were. Right before he mentions the Islanders.

Sorry if the link is bad. It was Mayor Bloomburg's site.

Upon further inspection it was removed. So he either misspoke or said something too soon...

All you have to know about soccer at Yankee Stadium is this...

yankeestadium_soccer.jpg

It's not a long term solution. It's barely a short term solution. And the Yankees themselves are not going to be pleased about it, particularly if they use that field configuration and have to screw up the pitchers mound every time the MLS team plays.

Agreed on all counts.

Considering the overlap between the MLS and MLB seasons, I can't see the Yankees going along with it for long. It's not like sharing a park with the Giants.

Maybe that's why they pulled the reference from Bloomberg's site.

I am thinking that it was just a mistake on the side of Bloomberg.

However it wasn't exactly a secret that NYCFC would play its first season at Yankee Stadium. I just hope that the team's stay in Yankee Stadium is as short as possible as both a Yankee & NYCFC fan.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Is it at all feasible for them to install a retractable mound?

Has there every been a retractable mound on a real grass field? I was under the impression the only stadiums that had them previously were all fake grass venues.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130719/sacramento-republic-mls-expansion/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp

"From what I've heard, they envision somewhere between 24 and 26 teams. Who knows if that's where they'll end up," Smith told SI.com. "Frankly, the league is at a point where it can monetize some of these franchise areas."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130719/sacramento-republic-mls-expansion/#ixzz2ZbC0MiKq

I thought FIFA doesn't want leagues expanding past 20.

This is like the NHL expansion fever, where just because you can theoretically put a team somewhere doesn't necessarily mean you should.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I remember hearing that rule before, and i always wondered if FIFA would make an exception for the US since the top-tier league is spread across an entire continent instead of a smaller country like England or Germany. At least to ensure the continued growth of soccer and ensure the entire country can be represented by the league

Between expanding past 20 teams, significantly including two countries (Toronto + Montreal + Vancouver = a lot of Canada's population), and having its season at the wrong time of the year, MLS really gets a lot of special dispensation.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived