NCAA Basketball Conference Tournamnents

bucknut40

I guess it really doesn't bother me since the NCAA bracket is so huge, it's not like they're taking a bid away from a team that actually had a chance to win it. If my team played in the Big South, on the other hand, THEN I'd be pissed.

Also, LOL @ a hardcore evangelical school calling itself the Flames. How hilariously appropriate of them to have a nickname that alludes to gay mannerisms.

Liberty becomes only the second team to ever make the tourney with 20 losses.

:angered:

...but that's why they play the games.

Since 1998, the Big South has only sent 4 representatives to the Dance: Radford x2, Liberty x2, UNC-Asheville x3, Winthrop x9.

VMI had so much potential to send multiple teams to the big dance in the past 6 or 7 years.

I was watching the Big South Championship this afternoon, waiting to see if one of Liberty's GAs would make it on TV, from the bench (he played basketball at NKU, and went to high school in Cincinnati). Then I look on Twitter, and he keeps talking about how he's back in town this weekend, and I'm thinking "Why would a Graduate Assistant leave the team to drive home during the conference tournament?" Turns out he's a GA at Winthrop, and I spent the majority of the game looking for him on the bench.

VMI's gimmick gets them wins they otherwise wouldn't get, but it also falls flat on its face at times as well. I won't say it doesn't work, but their "potential" is really just a product of the system.

Tony Rack, huh? Don't know the story about him coming here, but it's got to have something to do with Pat Kelsey (former XU player, assistant, and Cincy native) coming in as head coach.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So MTSU lost once again in the sun belt tourney and guess who is makeing a run again? That's right WKU, any body want to double down on that bet? :P

What are you talking about?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The PAC 12 moved to Vegas this year after several years of mediocre attendance in LA, and obviously no conference schools are in Vegas.

I sort of wish the PAC-12 tourney (and maybe all NCAA basketball conference tourneys) rotated among cities yearly. Maybe rotate it through Seattle, Portland, Oakland, Los Angeles, Phoenix, then repeat. Jazz up the flavor a bit, rather than hold it in one city every season, running the risk of losing luster.

Annual rotations are not good. If they were, even the lesser conferences would actually do them.

Outside of how the SEC does their tournament, cities want more than a one year guarantee to host such an event when they bid. Case in point, Nashville has the SEC Tournament for 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2019. The Big South Toutnament is in Myrtle Beach for three years and the SWAC tournaments moved to the Dallas suburb of Garland, TX for three years. Kansas City wants the Men's tourney, so they bid to host it.

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott, who saw the great turnout of the Women's Tournament in Seattle just this year after time in LA at USC's Galen Center, realizes that you still have to have roots somewhere to cultivate your event.

The SEC Tournament and to a degree the ACC Tournament has been on a small rotation, but each is in a location which people wanted to go to. The 5,000-12,000 seat arenas in the cities which may have a 1-bid conference is not really good enough to move the event yearly. The conference presidents and ADs know that.

Holy crap, what a piss-poor game called in the Atlantic 10 tourney tonight.

http://espn.go.com/m...c-10-tournament

Credit Willie Clayton with the sell job on the free throw foul. But In defense of the officials, if you see a player go flying in the post on what's supposed to be a dead ball your blowing the whistle. Its not a good call but its an understandable one and its one of the reasons why I think any technical foul should be subject to instant replay review whenever possible and in a conference tourney game, there's no reason why that shouldn't be in place.

As for the second foul that was just ridiculous. I think it should be a general rule of thumb that you need to at least be at the coaches box before you can get the benefit of a shooting call. If your over 30 feet away from the basket and you have the lead late a the game and you don't have a shot clock to worry about, I'm going to go out on a limb and say your probably not looking to take a shot from there.

For that call I have no defense of the officials to offer.

Kentucky ousted by Vanderbilt, ESPN bracketology has them out of the tournament with the loss. Maryland defeated Duke. I think Duke will lose a number 1 seed. Don't know who will go to, but Miami, Kansas could get it. Anyone else you see getting a number one seed? Or do you think the loss won't cost Duke a top 4 overall seed?

UC Irvine defeated Long Beach State 67-60. Long Beach State was the #1 seed in the Big West and was a number #12 seed last year losing to New Mexico in the round of 64.

Anteaters will play the winner of the Cal Poly/Pacific game airing right now on ESPNU. It's a One point game left with under ten minutes to go.

Ended up scalping a ticket and going to the ACC Championship for $10. Didn't have a vested interest in either team, but despite my mostly-dislike for Miami, it was cool to see someone else win the ACC.

That's cool. I ended up scalping some tickets for the 2011 ACC championship. You got a steal, my tickets were about 800 bucks! (maybe it was the matchup...)

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Ended up scalping a ticket and going to the ACC Championship for $10. Didn't have a vested interest in either team, but despite my mostly-dislike for Miami, it was cool to see someone else win the ACC.

That's cool. I ended up scalping some tickets for the 2011 ACC championship. You got a steal, my tickets were about 800 bucks! (maybe it was the matchup...)

Yeah, I'm sure other matchups would've resulted in insane ticket prices. Scalping at 1:05 when tipoff is at 1 also helps net cheap tickets. Missing the first 2 minutes (they were still doing intros when I entered the coliseum) wasn't a big deal, considering the price.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived