Teams that just need to change their wordmark or number font

BadSeed84

4yMays2.jpg

The navy wordmark is plain, boring, and makes them look like the Yankees. Should be red with an outline like their previous roads.

I agree with this 100%. I hated these when I first saw them and hate them more every year. I look at this site every day praying for the day someone breaks the news that the sox are changing their road uniforms. When I see highlites of old games in the world series winning uniforms I ask myself how could the sox think this change was good. We now have the biggest gap between home uniforms (great) and road uniforms (ugly as sin) of any team in sports. Someone help me and just make up a fake thread that the sox are considering a change :-)

Um...No.

These are beautiful and a perfect blend of the past history of their road uniforms with a modern twist. Just because some people may have started watching baseball in the 2000's, it doesn't mean that the Sawx only wore those so called "old" uniforms from '04 and '07 and that there wasn't about 100 years of Red Sox baseball that preceded them that may have looked a lot like what you see above.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um...No.

These are beautiful and a perfect blend of the past history of their road uniforms with a modern twist. Just because some people may have started watching baseball in the 2000's, it doesn't mean that they only wore those "old" uniforms from '04 and '07 and that there wasn't about 100 years of Red Sox baseball that preceded them that may have looked a lot like what you see above.

Except 1. the red lettering is way more visually balanced AND better reflects the team name, and 2. they went all those years in navy letters not winning the World Series. They JUST won two in red. Why change?

Um...No.

These are beautiful and a perfect blend of the past history of their road uniforms with a modern twist. Just because some people may have started watching baseball in the 2000's, it doesn't mean that they only wore those "old" uniforms from '04 and '07 and that there wasn't about 100 years of Red Sox baseball that preceded them that may have looked a lot like what you see above.

Except 1. the red lettering is way more visually balanced AND better reflects the team name, and 2. they went all those years in navy letters not winning the World Series. They JUST won two in red. Why change?

The Red font on the grey jerseys are not at all visually balanced IMO. One can argue that the red font gets lost on the grey back ground...but thats just my opinion. Taking the team's name literally for every element of the uniform doesn't necessarily need to happen. Are their socks not red? is that not enough??? The whole "they won in those uniforms" argument is always a fun one to have and I'd be lying through my teeth if I didn't have the knee-jerk reaction of uttering similar comments when I first heard of and witnessed the change to the new unis, but I honestly don't personally think it really matters. Why avoid making a more than appropriate and elegant change to a uniform if you can? Also don't underestimate the power of $$$$$$. As much as I would love to think that the change was made simply based on trying to honor and/or preserve history in some way shape or form, I'm sure it was mainly based on money. *shrugs shoulders*

I've never liked the ripoff Red Sox font for the Mets. It just really doesn't fit with the rest of their identity, IMO. I've always thought a script wordmark would look better.

I've never minded it, but if the Mets were to change they should borrow a style from the Giants:

Something like this? http://boards.sports...20#entry1973494

Ooo. That's nice.

4yMays2.jpg

The navy wordmark is plain, boring, and makes them look like the Yankees. Should be red with an outline like their previous roads.

I agree with this 100%. I hated these when I first saw them and hate them more every year. I look at this site every day praying for the day someone breaks the news that the sox are changing their road uniforms. When I see highlites of old games in the world series winning uniforms I ask myself how could the sox think this change was good. We now have the biggest gap between home uniforms (great) and road uniforms (ugly as sin) of any team in sports. Someone help me and just make up a fake thread that the sox are considering a change :-)

Um...No.

These are beautiful and a perfect blend of the past history of their road uniforms with a modern twist. Just because some people may have started watching baseball in the 2000's, it doesn't mean that the Sawx only wore those so called "old" uniforms from '04 and '07 and that there wasn't about 100 years of Red Sox baseball that preceded them that may have looked a lot like what you see above.

I appreciate the history lesson, but I have been watching the sox for 40 yrs and am well aware of their uniform history. I simply think these are extremely dull. No piping, no pant stripe, dull color. There are better versions of a navy blue letterred jersey is the sox past. I have a picture hanging on my wall of yaz from the 60's with a uni with blue lettering with red outline, looks a lot better. I've seen pictures of jimmy fox with a similar version from the 30's. My opinion is not based on the fact they won the series in the red lettered uniforms or because I just started watching them. I just think they are very ugly.

4yMays2.jpg

Um...No.

I appreciate the history lesson, but I have been watching the sox for 40 yrs and am well aware of their uniform history. I simply think these are extremely dull. No piping, no pant stripe, dull color. There are better versions of a navy blue letterred jersey is the sox past. I have a picture hanging on my wall of yaz from the 60's with a uni with blue lettering with red outline, looks a lot better. I've seen pictures of jimmy fox with a similar version from the 30's. My opinion is not based on the fact they won the series in the red lettered uniforms or because I just started watching them. I just think they are very ugly.

Well your comment certainly didn't elude to that fact, thats for sure.

You obviously have the right to think and like whatever you like, but I certainly don't agree with you on this particular subject. The beauty of these road unis for me lies in their beautiful simplicity; the hanging sox on the sleeve pop and add the necessary red color that you are referring to as being absent, the font has much more subtlety to it then most fonts being used in the game (which could easily have been overdone), and the fact that so many of the players wear red undershirts and garments further validates the omission of any extra red outlines, piping, or drop shadows. Maybe I'm part of the minority here but I really think this is one of the best uniforms in baseball. I like it better than their home unis....but again, that might just be me.

4yMays2.jpg

Ditto...it was a very unnecessary change just for the sake of it.

Count me in the camp that thinks the previous road set for the Sox was perfect. The change to the current set was nothing more than a money grab by Henry, Warner and Lucchino.

Just the minor addition of red trim would spruce these up so much for the better.

patriotssignature.png

I always hated the previous uniforms, and I've always associated the Sox road uniforms with the Navy blue wordmarks (or the 70's pullovers).

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

They're my team, but the Calgary Stampeders need to change their current number font--they've had good ones in the past, but not for a few seasons...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived