"Hate the font"

CitizenTino

Oh and...can we put a moratorium on the use of this word "pop" for, like, the next several weeks or something?

My problem isn't with the word itself (although it is over-used), but with the fact that it's often used wrong. As in this case.

ZYXCgq8.jpgZYXCgq82.png

Which wordmark stands out better from the background? Which has a sharper distinction and is easier to read?

Far from making anything "pop", the extra outlline muddies the wordmark and blends it all together. The letterforms blend into one silver-white mass.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and...can we put a moratorium on the use of this word "pop" for, like, the next several weeks or something?

Which wordmark stands out better from the background? Which has a sharper distinction and is easier to read?

Far from making anything "pop", the extra outlline muddies the wordmark and blends it all together. The letterforms blend into one silver-white mass.

Well I think the first one has a sharper distinction (I meant sharp as in pointy, but whatever). See my last post.

I prefer the font with multiple outlines.

Always loved those Timberwolves uniforms, especially the blue ones.

KGarnett.jpg

basketball has the most visible athletes so legibility isn't as key as it is in say football or hockey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not sure I agree there.

That basketball has the most visible athletes?

In basketball their faces aren't hidden by a helmet with a facemask, and their bodies are out in the open unobscured by pounds and pounds of protective equipment. Appearance alone is more of an identifier than hockey and football so legibility of the numbers isn't as important. On top of all that, fans are closer to basketball than they are to any other athletes.

What is there to disagree with?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not sure I agree there.

In basketball their faces aren't hidden by a helmet with a facemask, and their bodies are out in the open unobscured by pounds and pounds of protective equipment. What is there to disagree with?

I think he's talking about "legibility is less key". You have a point, but legibility is still very important as not everyone knows every player by face, especially If you go down into lower leagues. Not to mention there are a lot of football, hockey and baseball jerseys without NOB

Not sure I agree there.

In basketball their faces aren't hidden by a helmet with a facemask, and their bodies are out in the open unobscured by pounds and pounds of protective equipment. Appearance alone is more of an identifier than hockey and football so legibility of the numbers isn't as important. On top of all that, fans are closer to basketball than they are to any other athletes.

What is there to disagree with?

But we're still talking about functionality, and the recognizability of the players has nothing to do with that. It's not related to the issue at hand, which is that the lettering both looks better and is easier to read without the extra outline.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived