"Hate the font"

CitizenTino

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, its not that I hate them because they are proprietary fonts. I hate them because they simply aren't visually appealing fonts. For me whether or not they are proprietary is a non-issue.

Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it.

Personally, I don't like fonts with uneven line weights. They look flimsy and unbalanced to me. So the Cubs' and Bears' fonts are good in my eyes, whereas the Eagles' and Patriots' fonts look goofy.

chi_g_brianuts_576.jpg

philadelphia-eagles-vs-minnesota-vikings-12d10788d5caadce.jpg

Brady-FTW-new-england-patriots-32045229-960-641.jpg

The ones done for Army and especially Navy are pretty good, mostly because they're authentic and not overdone like so many of these others are. I think the one UCLA wears is unique, but still pretty classic, functional and non-intrusive.

ArmyFootball.jpg

Fa12_AT_NAVY_gloves_layered_0690.tif_original-e1354812577216.jpg

navy-nike-2011-football-uniforms-and-cleats-18.jpg

hi-res-156595905_crop_650x440.jpg?1353972157

Four great examples.

UCLA is just standard block and Navy is just a squished block with a drop shadow.

I think the fact that no one else uses UCLA's numerals excludes them from being described as "standard block," and the Naval Academy's numerals, while fairly standard in many ways, were, in fact, only used by the Naval Academy and were particularly authentic to their history, which is what makes them excellent.

The general public couldn't care less, but subtleties like that are not lost on people who do notice.

h97102.jpg

188557226_d8cd3f6077.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

188557226_d8cd3f6077.jpg

I was going to make the same point about Navy. Nice pic with the Intruder too, fighter pilots make movies, attack pilots make history.

I like the Reds' numbers a lot, but whoever said that they need to ditch the shadow is exactly right. I'd like to see the Rangers do the same, it might look okay then.

I like the Angels' typeface, but not for the Angels. Do the Red Sox's (Sox'? Soxs'?) count? Fan of those numbers as well (I don't think the word marks qualify as unique or proprietary, though...). Bears in football.

Grunge-Logos.png

For the most part, I consider myself a "traditionalist" in hockey. Even though I didn't really care for this jersey (I liked the blue eagle one better), I kinda dug this font, specifically the lettering. I can imagine it was a nightmare for equipment managers, though.

479.jpg

I've been thinking that for a few years, myself.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's a very unpopular opinion and I'm probably being a super homer, but I love the copperplate font the Blue Jackets use on their regular home and roads

jackets-3-11-art0-g99m188m-1blue-jackets-red-wings-hockey-jpeg-04b4f.jpg

I don't really care for the font they use on the 3rds though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's a very unpopular opinion and I'm probably being a super homer, but I love the copperplate font the Blue Jackets use on their regular home and roads

jackets-3-11-art0-g99m188m-1blue-jackets-red-wings-hockey-jpeg-04b4f.jpg

I don't really care for the font they use on the 3rds though.

I'm a fan of the Jackets home and road fonts as well. It's one of the few cases where copperplate looks good.

For me, its not that I hate them because they are proprietary fonts. I hate them because they simply aren't visually appealing fonts. For me whether or not they are proprietary is a non-issue.

Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it.

Personally, I don't like fonts with uneven line weights. They look flimsy and unbalanced to me. So the Cubs' and Bears' fonts are good in my eyes, whereas the Eagles' and Patriots' fonts look goofy.

Brady-FTW-new-england-patriots-32045229-960-641.jpg

The ones done for Army and especially Navy are pretty good, mostly because they're authentic and not overdone like so many of these others are. I think the one UCLA wears is unique, but still pretty classic, functional and non-intrusive.

ArmyFootball.jpg

Fa12_AT_NAVY_gloves_layered_0690.tif_original-e1354812577216.jpg

navy-nike-2011-football-uniforms-and-cleats-18.jpg

hi-res-156595905_crop_650x440.jpg?1353972157

Four great examples.

UCLA is just standard block and Navy is just a squished block with a drop shadow.

I think the fact that no one else uses UCLA's numerals excludes them from being described as "standard block," and the Naval Academy's numerals, while fairly standard in many ways, were, in fact, only used by the Naval Academy and were particularly authentic to their history, which is what makes them excellent.

The general public couldn't care less, but subtleties like that are not lost on people who do notice.

h97102.jpg

188557226_d8cd3f6077.jpg

I love it when there is some relevance and historical significance to a design element like these number fonts for example.

Some of mine (some unpopular opinions ahead):

Coyotes01.png

^^^

(These uniforms, in hindsight, should've gotten more love than they did.)

Chicago-Bears-Defense.jpg

Atlanta+Braves+v+Philadelphia+Phillies+-PH-FC1V3-Jl.jpg

Columbus+Blue+Jackets+v+Chicago+Blackhawks+4uSZJrp9ALdl.jpg

ap-201110301232451695203.jpg

465px-Mark_Reynolds_of_the_Arizona_Diamondbacks.jpg

usp-ncaa-football_-northern-arizona-at-arizona-sta-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

OregonStateBeaversFootball.jpg

<homerism>

Screen-shot-2012-09-11-at-11.17.54-AM.png

</homerism>

New-Nevada-Football-Uniforms-1.jpg

(Also the Blue Jays current, Previous UCLA set, Denver Broncos, Padres, and current Canucks. Yes, I like the Agency-type font.)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived