2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

I hate falling victim to the out-of-sight-out-of-mind fallacy after the playoffs, where you forget most of the league exists and just go "well there's no way the team that just won it won't win it all again." I'm especially sensitive to it as a Hawks fan. But holy moly, the conference only has 14 teams and most of them are really bad. It's off to the races, isn't it?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And on that note, Alex Burmistrov is out of the league, signing a two-year deal with Ak Bars Kazan. Just another failed Thrashers pick.

And on that note, Alex Burmistrov is out of the league, signing a two-year deal with Ak Bars Kazan. Just another failed Thrashers pick.

BREAKING: BURMISTROV JETS TO KHL

I'll be here all offseason. :D

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The entire franchise did Burmistrov no favors. For all the talk about how the Jets wanted their players to develop at their own pace, the players they inherited from Atlanta didn't seem to apply to that concept.

If they really wanted Burmistrov to succeed, they'd have left him in St. John's for the last two years to see how he developed, and proceeded from there. Keeping a kid who's clearly struggling at the NHL level just because he was a #8 pick was silly, especially considering the tack they're taking with Scheifele.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I just don't know what the Jets are doing at all, outside of rolling around in piles of money with the knowledge that plenty more is on the way.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maybe they figured the Atlanta picks were damaged goods (this is not unreasonable). Also, they could have been afraid that Burmistrov would defect outright if they tried to assign him to the AHL. Russians hate it there.

You know what? Let's just be done with Russians completely. They had a good run here, but it seems like they're all just a bunch of chain-smoking poutypoos who don't play defense.

And no, the Jets have no plan. I suppose the plan is to tread water at the NHL level while resuscitating the all-time-broken development system, but then they whiff on their draft picks, so it's possible that Cheveldayoff is just an idiot.

I don't think that's fair. Waddell was a special kind of incompetent in that he almost singlehandedly (from every account I've read, the Thrashers were notably understaffed in hockey-ops. Perhaps you more than anyone else can verify) torpedoed the organization. Cheveldayoff doesn't have the body of work to be that bad, but he does seem to be eminently in over his head, and should be dispatched before he can be the next Waddell.

They've realigned the teams on the NHL.com Network header based on next year's new "conferences" and it looks really stupid.

That's because the new conferences are stupid.

Well to Chevy's credit, he pulled off a couple of nifty trades to get that right side hammered out. He still needs a centre or three but I suppose he's counting on Scheifele to be ready for top six minutes, which he'd better be because a line of EKane/Olli/Gooch is 2/3 of a potentially great 2nd line.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I know Chevy had a couple of years in the Blackhawks' front office, but I have to wonder if he's still adjusting to operating on a level playing field. He did a great job all those years as GM of the Wolves, but all that success came in the IHL, where half the teams were staving off bankruptcy, and then in the AHL, where more than half the teams don't have their win-loss record as the top priority.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maybe they figured the Atlanta picks were damaged goods (this is not unreasonable). Also, they could have been afraid that Burmistrov would defect outright if they tried to assign him to the AHL. Russians hate it there.

Yeah, Russians never really took to Peoria well, and I can only assume they would have considered Newfoundland Siberia only without the radiation, murderous megafauna, wide open spaces, or people.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In some news that may be flying under the radar nationally but is very important to the Blues (and could be a national story if he pans out), Russian prospect Vladimir Tarasenko has agreed to come to North America and joined the Blues next season.

He was ranked the #3 prospect by Hockey's Future for the 2011-12 season, but was named their Prospect of Year in April.

You always have to guard against the fact that a prospect might not pan out, at least not in their rookie season. But Tarasenko could go a long way towards helping the Blues offensive woes.

The Blues can't technically sign him until July 1, and Russia is weird, so this could somehow still go awry. But for now, the news is fantastic for the Blues.

*Gets assigned to Peoria for seasoning*

*Goes home to Russia because he misses the trees, radiation, wildlife, and people at hockey games*

Yeah, it's feast or famine with Eastern European prospects. Not only is the AHL not particularly conducive to seasoning for Euros, coming to America to play in a small-town bus league seems to send them into throes of depression. Hawks had a prospect of moderate upside named Petri Kontiola who was crying himself to sleep at night because he had to play in Rockford. Got traded to the Ducks for Sammy Pahlsson, where he was sent right back to the midwest back when their farm team was in Des Moines. Never came back to America after that. Sayonara, f-ckhead.

the beat goes on

Tarasenko turned out to be pretty impressive and could have been in the Calder race if not for his injury, incidentally.

Coming in, I don't think Chevy was allowed to make to many decisions on his own. This is the only way to explain Claude Noel being retained as the MooseJets HC after a decent year in the AHL.

I'm not going to give Chevy his walking papers yet, he did a great job drafting Scheifele and Trouba is going to be a stud, by all accounts. He might not have drafted for need, but he might have drafted from a position of strength if he needs to get rid of Enstrom or Byfuglien in the next season or so.

I know the Globe and Mail is the Winnipeg Jets Media Arm, but they did give the Jets the best draft rating of the Canadian teams. Let's see how this Morrissey kid pans out before we send the front office back to Illinois.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

They've realigned the teams on the NHL.com Network header based on next year's new "conferences" and it looks really stupid.

Untitled_zps5822e7a9.png

"Where the NHL Gets Hockey"? What does that even mean?

In their own Network ads, they have NHL players and personnel at team facilities doing whatever and having the NHL network on the TVs. It's to say its where the members of the NHL get their hockey news and highlights. And at least in the States that rings true, where having seen/visited a couple US NHL locker rooms, that is whats on, because where else are they getting hockey news/highlights on TV? NBC Sports doesn't have anything outside of their nightly game broadcasts and he immediate coverage surrounding it. Probably less true in Canada where they have things like TSN and Sportsnet.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived