2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canada didn't even give Jason Spezza an invite to summer camp, but he's better than any single forward on the entire US roster!

I don't know if Spezza is better than Kane at this point -- and don't get me wrong, I really like Spezza, but...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Canada didn't even give Jason Spezza an invite to summer camp, but he's better than any single forward on the entire US roster!

I don't know if Spezza is better than Kane at this

point -- and don't get me wrong, I really like Spezza, but...

Let's not forget he played a collective 8 games last season and was stretching 50% on the last 3 in the playoffs. He might just still be recovering or being cautious.

I don't know if Spezza is better than Kane at this point -- and don't get me wrong, I really like Spezza, but...

At the very least, Spezza is the 2nd best player on the US team, but I still take him over Kane.

Not sure how much more Kane has to do for you people, but I do agree with your fundamental premise that the Canadian national team is stacked beyond belief and shouldn't be looked at as anything but prohibitive favorites, even if their best goalies are merely a defending champion and perennial All-Star.

Not sure how much more Kane has to do for you people, but I do agree with your fundamental premise that the Canadian national team is stacked beyond belief and shouldn't be looked at as anything but prohibitive favorites, even if their best goalies are merely a defending champion and perennial All-Star.

He could spare me a dime....

I saw, I came, I left.

Disagree: it's done precisely that, and I'd wager more Canadians (even after the "move to Winnipeg well why don't I just roll over and die" thing, or the "French Canadians are a lesser form of life" thing) regard Doan as A Good Western Canadian Boy Who Plays Hard The Right Way than as the cheapshot artist, petulant whiner, and greedy coward he really is, especially when the Olympics roll around and he can be Good and Canadian on a global stage.

Guarantee that if he were a Canadian citizen, Kane would get more respect.

Hasn't helped Shane Doan.

Surely you saw that I was going for a miserable joke there, and not that I was insinuating that Patrick Kane is looked down upon just because he was born on the wrong side of some invisible border that, frankly, is irrelevant as far as the United States and Canada are concerned anyway.

spacer.png

I love teams like Canada this year. They're the "invincibles". Just like the Soviets in 1980.

Nobody's saying they're invincible.

And they're not.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Canada's looking pretty good. The goaltending situation's just fine for f's sake.

The American goaltending situation, however, is amazingly good. Though Ryan Miller? Seriously? With Anderson and Quick Miller has no business being anything but a third string at best. The American forwards, as a group, aren't as impressive as Canada's, but they're young and scary. If not 2014 the Americans will be the team to beat in 2018.

Neither team is going to do all that well though, in my opinion. Russia? 3am start times? That doesn't bode well for either Canada or the US this time around.

Disagree: it's done precisely that, and I'd wager more Canadians (even after the "move to Winnipeg well why don't I just roll over and die" thing, or the "French Canadians are a lesser form of life" thing) regard Doan as A Good Western Canadian Boy Who Plays Hard The Right Way than as the cheapshot artist, petulant whiner, and greedy coward he really is, especially when the Olympics roll around and he can be Good and Canadian on a global stage.

I wouldn't say so. I don't hear much about Doan one way or another. The Winnipeg thing didn't get as much play up here as you'd think it would have. He's just sort of a non-entity to fans and the media alike. The only time he's really mentioned is when people confuse him being in a rut with franchise loyalty, but that's about it. He doesn't get the crap he rightfully should get, but he's not held up as a model player either.

The only people who I ever hear consistently praise him are Coyotes fans who seem to think he's the greatest captain in the history of hockey. And I doubt they think that because of his nationality. More so because of the after-mentioned greediness and cowardliness that indirectly benefits their sock monkey of a team.

Archived