2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

or just move Phoenix to the central and add Vegas and Seattle to the Pacific. Most Geographical and rival-friendly solution.

That's pretty much what I said. I mentioned that and moving the Alberta teams as options.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phoenix to the Central? No thanks, I don't want to have to deal with Mike Smith falling down like he's been shot anytime a Blackhawks player comes near him more than twice a year.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

or just move Phoenix to the central and add Vegas and Seattle to the Pacific. Most Geographical and rival-friendly solution.

That's pretty much what I said. I mentioned that and moving the Alberta teams as options.

Oh God no.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

76ers ownership group trying to buy the Devils for 250m.

Has an owner of one team ever bought a major rival of another one of their city's teams?

The sixers are irrelevant again anyway, but if this happens, a lot of people will stay away because if this even if the team gets good.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well right now there's zero sixers fans, so no, but like any city there's a lot of chest thumping homers who will cheer for anything that "represents" the city, so if they got good, it'd be a problem. Judging by calls on local radio today, people are fired up about it. It would kinda suck to be going to Sixers and Flyers games as a fan, see the Flyers get bounced by the Devils, and then see the Sixers owner celebrating your defeat.

I'd say that it's a pretty big slap in the face and just a sign that sports teams are nothing but a business and if you buy a ticket you're just a mark. I mean of course that is the case, but you don't want to have it rubbed in your face.

Of course, the speculation (not actually reported like the story with the Devils) now is that they're going to look in to moving the Sixers to the now vacant Prudential center. A lot of people have speculated that they're running the team down in order to justify moving them, but this could be the first tangible sign.

Hell - they don't even have a coach, and they're conducting their interviews (and other business) in NY instead of Phila.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also a little odd is that the Devils owners would be paying rent to the Flyers owners.

*shrug* Paul Allen has his hands in both the Seattle and Portland sports scenes and no one here really holds any ill will against him. Granted it's no Philly-Newark rivalry but there is certainly no love lost between the cities of Seattle and Portland. I don't think people put too much thought into who owns what.

*shrug* Paul Allen has his hands in both the Seattle and Portland sports scenes and no one here really holds any ill will against him. Granted it's no Philly-Newark rivalry but there is certainly no love lost between the cities of Seattle and Portland. I don't think people put too much thought into who owns what.

I guess I just disagree there. If the Bulls owner bought the Red Wings, I'm pretty sure Chicago fans would be upset.

According to NHL Network, Stephen Walkom is named Director of Officiating. Yes the same ref who blew it in Game 7 of the Hawks-Wings and who missed Torres on Hossa last year.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

According to NHL Network, Stephen Walkom is named Director of Officiating. Yes the same ref who blew it in Game 7 of the Hawks-Wings and who missed Torres on Hossa last year.

He was actually seen as one of the better refs in the league by many coaches, players, etc. Every ref makes a few mistakes.

There are mistakes, and then there's inventing a penalty. Guy's a schmuck who, by my calculations, took three days, seven hours, and 46 minutes off my life.

If the Bulls owner bought the Red Wings, I'm pretty sure Chicago fans would be upset.

No, Reinsdorf's brand of myopic bean-counting and misplaced loyalty is just what we could have used to surpass the Red Wings once and for all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, Allen owns teams that don't have a counterpart in the other city (outside of MLS). There is no NFL team in Portland, and right now there is no NBA team in Seattle, so it's not really as awkward as the Sixers owning the Devils thing.

Of course, the speculation (not actually reported like the story with the Devils) now is that they're going to look in to moving the Sixers to the now vacant Prudential center. A lot of people have speculated that they're running the team down in order to justify moving them, but this could be the first tangible sign.

Can't believe the NBA would give up on Philadelphia and triple up on New York. The Dolans and the petrogangster would howl.

There are mistakes, and then there's inventing a penalty. Guy's a schmuck who, by my calculations, took three days, seven hours, and 46 minutes off my life.

You can't label somebody a bad ref just because they made one mistake (albeit when all of North America was watching).

JUST DID

You call a penalty on Quincey, and then, out of fear of violating the NHL's B'Aww It's Late Just Let The Boys Play culture, invent a coinciding penalty on Saad to offset the penalty and prevent the abject unfairness of giving a team a power play after the opposing team has committed a foul in a close, late Game 7. Ironically, had he called the penalty during the Hawks' possession, the goal would have counted and cancelled the penalty, thus avoiding the unfairness by being unfair. It was categorically dumb, OITGDNHL-caliber bonkers. He sucks.

Oh well, doesn't matter, had cup

Well, Allen owns teams that don't have a counterpart in the other city (outside of MLS). There is no NFL team in Portland, and right now there is no NBA team in Seattle, so it's not really as awkward as the Sixers owning the Devils thing.

Yes, but didn't he own the Blazers while the Sonics were still around? I always found that somewhat weird as well.

spacer.png

You can't label somebody a bad ref just because they made one mistake (albeit when all of North America was watching).

Kerry Fraser is widely seen as one of the best and most consistent refs around the league by players, journalists, coaches, execs, and colleagues. He finishes atop the polls and is a pretty influential person.

I do not care.

He cost the Leafs a chance to play the Habs in the Cup final. If the Leafs won that year, we wouldn't be the laughingstock of the league. 46 years would be 20. But no. I hate him. All Leafs fans hate him. To hell with however many years of "solid" officiating if you can't call a God damn high stick that's right in front of you. I can't wait for the Hall of Fame game when he gets inducted so the ACC can boo the living hell out of him.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I could be wrong, but wasn't he Director of Officiating a few years ago? But he left that position to return as an on-ice official?

Archived