2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a team to bring back the air raid siren. Too many teams have the same boring low-pitched horn.

Does Buffalo still have theirs? I remember it got old quick when the WJC was there.

Medium pitch, kind of like Chicago. I'd say the goal horn taxonomy is something like

HIGH

Calgary, Detroit, Los Angeles, Edmonton, Winnipeg

MEDIUM

Buffalo, Chicago, Nashville, Florida, Phoenix, Dallas

LOW

Most teams

REALLY LOW

Carolina

CRAP YOUR PANTS

Anaheim

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Calgary should automatically lose points for their awful goal song.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1) Consider that goal horn already purchased.

2) admiral, I'm proud of our super low, crap your pants goal horn. It's fantastic.

3) Got our tickets to the Ducks/Kings Dodger Stadium game today. CAN'T. WAIT. SO. EXCITED.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Ducks' one sounds much better in person than it does on tv.

Sheldon Souray out 3-5 months (4-6 months from time of surgery; surgery was on June 20). Ducks subsequently sign Mark Fistric to a one year deal to replace Souray for now....

I don't really mind Souray being out.

Sheldon Souray out 3-5 months (4-6 months from time of surgery; surgery was on June 20). Ducks subsequently sign Mark Fistric to a one year deal to replace Souray for now....

Sounds like the Ducks signed Mark "Let Me Show You My" Fistric, by the way.

Yeah, not a terrible exchange.

I like Souray. His slap shot is just killer. Truly a fantastic spectacle in person. But he has to actually get that slapper through people, and he had to try and defend on the other end of the ice. He's not quick. Not terribly agile. He's a big guy, but he's not exactly a physical, net-clearing presence like the Ducks supposedly signed him to be. He paired surprisingly well with Beauchemin, but eh.

Mark Fistric isn't too bad, I guess. I'd might rather have Hampus Lindholm or Sami Vatanen make the team and play over him, but I can live with Fistric on the 3rd pair.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'd say the goal horn taxonomy is something like

HIGH

Los Angeles

I always think that around 2010, the Kings and Flyers swapped goal horns with each other.

Speaking of the Kings, does this ranking take into account the song playing after the horn? Because they should be docked for half-slicing Randy Newman and a generic cheer song together. I'm sorry, but "I Love LA" should be saved for if the team wins a game, not after a goal.

I like a train whistle for a goal horn sound. I guess that would make it high pitched? I dunno. Every time me and my buddy are outside and hear a train, we yell "GOAL!". It just makes sense to me.

Calgary should automatically lose points for their awful goal song.

Yeah, "Barbara Streisand" should have stayed in those Steve Nash Vitaminwater commercials.

The horn, however, sounds like an organ piano from a cathedral, and it was so emotional when hearing it from Calgary's standpoint. It signaled Gelinas' winners a decade ago (but not the one which counted the most).

Sounds like the Ducks signed Mark "Let Me Show You My" Fistric, by the way.

Yeah, not a terrible exchange.

I like Souray. His slap shot is just killer. Truly a fantastic spectacle in person. But he has to actually get that slapper through people, and he had to try and defend on the other end of the ice. He's not quick. Not terribly agile. He's a big guy, but he's not exactly a physical, net-clearing presence like the Ducks supposedly signed him to be. He paired surprisingly well with Beauchemin, but eh.

Mark Fistric isn't too bad, I guess. I'd might rather have Hampus Lindholm or Sami Vatanen make the team and play over him, but I can live with Fistric on the 3rd pair.

When Beauchemin's back, we'll probably see something like this for the first few months:

1 Fowler-Beauchemin

2 Sbisa-Lovejoy

3 Allen-Vatanen

Fistric/Lindholm

I expect Vatanen to get quite a bit of playing time, as that's what Murray said he wants to see. Really after Fowler-Beauchemin (which I'm pretty sure will happen), its a mix and match of the remaining 6 guys. Definitely a lot of variables.

Thinking about it, I'm pretty glad Souray's out. It forces Boudreau to try some different stuff, and it makes the Defense more mobile by subtraction.

I can't tell if I'm being a homer or not, but the Buffalo/Chicago goal horn is my favorite. I think those two teams are very, very similar (at least in this video):

The Islanders kinda sorta have a train horn thing going on with the one at the Coliseum. They used to have an air horn one back in the day and no one please mention that foghorn from the Groton's Fisherman days I beg you

EDIT: OF COURSE the Panthers would steal Chelsea Dagger after signing half the Blackhawks' 2009-10 roster

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

EDIT: OF COURSE the Panthers would steal Chelsea Dagger after signing half the Blackhawks' 2009-10 roster

You have got to be kidding me. I know that some teams have the same goal song but I would think by now that after winning two Stanley Cups with it, Chelsea Dagger is the Blackhawks' and the Blackhawks' only.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Honestly, I'm as done with Chelsea Dagger as I am with Tomas Kopecky. If they want it that bad, they can have it. Just bring back "Here Come the Hawks." Haha, the Panthers are so lame, though.

My favorite horn is the one that used to be Hartford's but isn't anymore. It sounds like you think a whale should sound. The Devils' old 3x3 horn was cool.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You have got to be kidding me. I know that some teams have the same goal song but I would think by now that after winning two Stanley Cups with it, Chelsea Dagger is the Blackhawks' and the Blackhawks' only.

I mean, I'm only basing it off that video above, but these are the Florida Panthers we're talking about so I wouldn't be surprised.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Archived