2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

There are mistakes, and then there's inventing a penalty. Guy's a schmuck who, by my calculations, took three days, seven hours, and 46 minutes off my life.

You can't label somebody a bad ref just because they made one mistake.

Don Denkinger, Jim Joyce, Phil Luckett, Eric Gregg, everyone associated with the "Fail Mary," Doug Eddings (Anaheim fans should be very familiar with him).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Koman Coulibaly.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well right now there's zero sixers fans, so no, but like any city there's a lot of chest thumping homers who will cheer for anything that "represents" the city, so if they got good, it'd be a problem. Judging by calls on local radio today, people are fired up about it. It would kinda suck to be going to Sixers and Flyers games as a fan, see the Flyers get bounced by the Devils, and then see the Sixers owner celebrating your defeat.

I'd say that it's a pretty big slap in the face and just a sign that sports teams are nothing but a business and if you buy a ticket you're just a mark. I mean of course that is the case, but you don't want to have it rubbed in your face.

Of course, the speculation (not actually reported like the story with the Devils) now is that they're going to look in to moving the Sixers to the now vacant Prudential center. A lot of people have speculated that they're running the team down in order to justify moving them, but this could be the first tangible sign.

Hell - they don't even have a coach, and they're conducting their interviews (and other business) in NY instead of Phila.

That arena makes money. The Prudential Center is #33 in the world in live event arena attendance*; that's 11th in the US. Wells Fargo Center is #7 globally and #2 nationally to Barclays Center.

The current Devils owner is so underwater with the arena financing that even as it was determined that the city was getting more in taxes than the rent they were owed, he still cannot meet the arena debt.

*-Pollstar does not count sporting events in their rankings, so the Devils and Seton Hall games are in addition to that.

*shrug* Paul Allen has his hands in both the Seattle and Portland sports scenes and no one here really holds any ill will against him. Granted it's no Philly-Newark rivalry but there is certainly no love lost between the cities of Seattle and Portland. I don't think people put too much thought into who owns what.

Well, Allen owns teams that don't have a counterpart in the other city (outside of MLS). There is no NFL team in Portland, and right now there is no NBA team in Seattle, so it's not really as awkward as the Sixers owning the Devils thing.

Yes, but didn't he own the Blazers while the Sonics were still around? I always found that somewhat weird as well.

I'm pretty sure he did.

Well right now there's zero sixers fans, so no, but like any city there's a lot of chest thumping homers who will cheer for anything that "represents" the city, so if they got good, it'd be a problem. Judging by calls on local radio today, people are fired up about it. It would kinda suck to be going to Sixers and Flyers games as a fan, see the Flyers get bounced by the Devils, and then see the Sixers owner celebrating your defeat.

I'd say that it's a pretty big slap in the face and just a sign that sports teams are nothing but a business and if you buy a ticket you're just a mark. I mean of course that is the case, but you don't want to have it rubbed in your face.

Of course, the speculation (not actually reported like the story with the Devils) now is that they're going to look in to moving the Sixers to the now vacant Prudential center. A lot of people have speculated that they're running the team down in order to justify moving them, but this could be the first tangible sign.

Hell - they don't even have a coach, and they're conducting their interviews (and other business) in NY instead of Phila.

That arena makes money. The Prudential Center is #33 in the world in live event arena attendance*; that's 11th in the US. Wells Fargo Center is #7 globally and #2 nationally to Barclays Center.

The current Devils owner is so underwater with the arena financing that even as it was determined that the city was getting more in taxes than the rent they were owed, he still cannot meet the arena debt.

*-Pollstar does not count sporting events in their rankings, so the Devils and Seton Hall games are in addition to that.

Rumor is picking up more speed this morning. The Sixers owners (all Wharton grads who raced about their opportunity to come "home") are operating out of NYC, including the new GM. I understand the owner, because he runs a company, but the rest of the team?

They'd own the Prudential, so it wouldn't make sense for them to keep renting the Wells Fargo center from their new big rival.

This situation really smells. The Sixers franchise should be one of the premiere ones in the league, considering the market, and basketball's history there. They were beaten down by poor owner after poor owner, then the Flyers who couldn't have cared less, and now these guys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This situation really smells. The Sixers franchise should be one of the premiere ones in the league, considering the market, and basketball's history there. They were beaten down by poor owner after poor owner, then the Flyers who couldn't have cared less, and now these guys.
Perhaps, but you also said that there aren't any Sixers fans right now. If the market is that good (which I've always thought until you said otherwise), shouldn't the team be at the very least, relevant? They were in the playoffs and went to the second round two years ago.

I can see where between the Eagles, the Flyers, and the college teams, the Sixers need to work hard to keep their names in the papers, and I'm not sure they have. Their appearance in the second round was just finishing 8th in the weak East and being in the right place at the right time when Derrick Rose spontaneously combusted. The Bucks could have done that, and it wouldn't have helped the Bucks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Word on Twitter is that the league has assumed control of the Devils after Jeff Vanderbeek missed another debt payment deadline. I'll leave it to Admiral to concoct an appropriate thread title for the inevitable saga.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Rumor is picking up more speed this morning. The Sixers owners (all Wharton grads who raced about their opportunity to come "home") are operating out of NYC, including the new GM. I understand the owner, because he runs a company, but the rest of the team?

They'd own the Prudential, so it wouldn't make sense for them to keep renting the Wells Fargo center from their new big rival.

But if they are Wharton Guys, they know ROI (Return on Investment) and not moving a team into Newark and keeping a venue open for shows can be more profitable than to move a team and have 41 NBA dates in a somewhat saturated town.

With or without a second professional team, the building earns revenue.

Word on Twitter is that the league has assumed control of the Devils after Jeff Vanderbeek missed another debt payment deadline. I'll leave it to Admiral to concoct an appropriate thread title for the inevitable saga.

"Tossed Salad and Deviled Eggs" How New Jersey moved to Seattle.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it will be awesome if Teemu Selanne finished his career in Winnipeg

Naw.

It's not like Selanne's a career Duck. So him leaving town (again) wouldn't be this great injustice.
The amount of seasons he played in Winnipeg are closer to the amount he played in San Jose than the amount he played in Anaheim.

He's the face of the Ducks though, Mighty and regular Ducks. His career was thought to be over before the '05 lockout after seasons with the Avs and Sharks, he came back to the Ducks after the lockout and rejuvenated his career.

IbjBaeE.png

But if they are Wharton Guys, they know ROI (Return on Investment) and not moving a team into Newark and keeping a venue open for shows can be more profitable than to move a team and have 41 NBA dates in a somewhat saturated town.

With or without a second professional team, the building earns revenue.

Fair enough, but if they know ROI, why would they purchase the Sixers, negotiate what has been reported to be a less-than-favorable lease (admittedly I have no idea the details there), fire the CEO who at least tried to connect with the fans, and essentially run the team in to the ground?

Maybe they're setting up the Los[sic] Vegas Showboats.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived