2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

Shane Doan is also a case study in why I don't give a crap about Olympic hockey. When the captain of the Canadian National Team is more than happy, at the expense of potential professional achievements, to live not only in another country but in a U.S. state with political sensibilities and human rights violations diametrically opposed to his home nation so that he can make a lot of money and live on a big horse farm where no one cares who he is, what kind of a Canadian is he, anyway? It's an All-Star Game and nothing more.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but it's a way more fun all-star game with more teams and better looking uniforms.

just for grins, here's a picture of Shane Doan with the worst trophy in the history of sports.

3457465.jpg?size=620x400

PvO6ZWJ.png

Paul Ranger(remember him?) signs a contract in Toronto after stepping away from pro hockey for almost 3 years.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Where did they get that, a Crate & Barrel outlet store?

It's as baffling now as it was then.

It looks like they never removed it from its protective packaging. Nothing about it is attractive, nothing about it represents the game of hockey, the plastic pieces look cheap, and it doesn't even looks like a prize you'd want to win, which is kinda the whole point of a trophy. How did Frank Gehry explain that thing?

I'm a big advocate for bringing back the world cup of hockey, and playing it on a regular fixed basis (and not just whenever they feel like it), but whenever they start it up again they need a new trophy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Paul Ranger(remember him?) signs a contract in Toronto after stepping away from pro hockey for almost 3 years.

Not quite. He played with the Marlies last year and was actually pretty good. I'm pretty sure he made the team out of camp, but wanted to stay in the AHL because he felt he wasn't ready.

Anyways, it's a good signing. He should compete with Fraser/Holzer/Rielly/Brennan/O'Byrne (if he's back) for the 6th and 7th D-man spots.

tumblrponieswha.jpg

titanic_0.jpg?itok=m1an29rQ

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

So the Jets held onto their money while everyone good got picked up, and now they're overspending on everyone they have. Welcome, division rival!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

People talk about expansion diluting the talent pool for players. It also dilutes the talent pool for management, too. Cheveldayoff is just as much a career AHLer as Steve Maltais.

"Cheveldayoff" is Canadian for "Waddell".....

Getting there yet, admiral?

Most of the free agents the Thrashers signed were just retaining their RFA's while letting the big-name, team-changing UFA's sign on with just about everyone else. The UFA's the Thrashers did sign were the likes of Todd White, Ron Hainsey, and Bobby Holik. I'm struggling to come up with even one name that the Thrashers signed that wasn't their own UFA/RFA that made a big impact.

Granted, most of the blame goes to an ownership group that didn't want to put much money into the team, which did handcuff Waddell some. And, to his credit, Waddell made some amazing trades/pick-ups while giving up nothing of note (Slava Kozlov, Marc Savard, Rich Peverley), but damn did he make some whiffs too (the returns for Hossa, the returns for Kovalchuk).

Meanwhile, the Jets now have ownership with real money and are making big money, yet are employing what looks to be the exact offseason gameplans the Thrashers used annually. I don't pay as much attention to free agency in the NHL as I used to, but there weren't better options than Bryan Little and Zach Bogosian this year?

Well actually, no, there really weren't. Other than Lecavalier, the biggest splash of the summer seems to have been the Leafs signing David Clarkson at 37 over 7, and that's a hell of a lot of money to give a guy who basically functions as a pinball bumper. Free agency really isn't what it used to be. Still, that doesn't excuse paying Little and Wheeler so much. They're fine enough players, great on a bad team and good on a good team, and I know the Jets had to hit the salary floor, but man, that's an awful lot for RFAs.

This is all just a sideshow to drafting, though. If they can't draft, then they're really in trouble, because that's the way elite talent is coming to Winnipeg, not via free agency. Scheifele over Couturier looks pretty bad so far.

Archived