Should Oriole Park at Camden yards change dimensions?

flacco5

Fans like slugfests. Fans don't like games that have one or two runs between the two teems. They will stop paying money if all they see is fly balls to the warning track. It may not be very significant, but I do think that's one of the reasons why everyone is moving their fences in.

With that being said, the Marlins should probably make their fence 200 feet all the way around.

And this really should've gone in the mega thread.

spacer.png

Re "mega thread": No, it's perfectly fine to create a separate thread for individual topics. Not everything MLB-related needs to go in one big thread.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Moving home plate back is not as simple as you make it out to be. If you just move the plate ten feet straight back, the foul lines will move with it and won't line up with the foul poles.

The Orioles moved home plate back and to the right for a few years (I don't recall the dates off hand). By doing it that way, the foul lines still lined up with the original position of the foul poles. However, that move had two slight, but important, unforeseen consequences --

1. The view of home plate from some seats was blocked by railings that did not block the view of home plate in the original/current location.

2. The foul lines no longer lined up with the camera wells on the inside edge of each dugout, meaning TV cameras couldn't get shots right down the lines (which is a replay I always love to see when watching games from Camden Yards).

Beyond that, the field looked lopsided in aerial shots because home plate was significantly closer to the first base side of the seats.

For whatever reason (maybe the ones I cite), the experiment only lasted a short period of time.

P.S. It looks like the move was for 2001 only.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

From the Orioles website --

Prior to the 2001 season, in conjunction with extensive renovations to the ballpark's playing surface and drainage system, the Orioles reconfigured the ballpark with outfield dimensions that were up to 7 feet larger than those used since Camden Yards opened in 1992. However, it was found that the new dimensions did not significantly improve sight lines for fans, as had been anticipated, and adversely affected the viewing angle of the batter's eye wall

As a result, the ballpark was returned to its original dimensions before the 2002 season. The changes included moving home plate approximately seven feet closer to the outfield, to its original spot 45 feet from the backstop. In addition, the entire field was shifted several degrees to the first base side and both the left field and right field foul poles were repositioned to their original locations. The foul line measurements decreased from 320 feet to 318 feet in right field and from 337 to 333 feet in left field. The center field distance decreased from 406 to 400 feet and the deepest part of the ballpark, in left center field, decreased from 417 to 410 feet..

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Im new here so im learning. For those who remember that old Memorial Stadium it helped Orioles pitching thoughout the years. You see in Memorial Stadium when ball is hit off the bat it goes up and eventually it dies down. But in Camden yards when ball is hit off the bat it takes off like a rocket and keeps on flying. Why ball keeps on flyng? Its because its closed in and that warehouse isn't allowing wind to make it dive down just like at Memorial Stadium. Just like at that old polo grounds why that wall was 450 feet. If Polo Grounds was any other ordinary park Willie Mays might not made that greatest catch in Baseball history. That's why im suggesting this cause Camden yards is a pitchers nightmare like Fenway is.

HOForioles.png

Re "mega thread": No, it's perfectly fine to create a separate thread for individual topics. Not everything MLB-related needs to go in one big thread.

Out of curiosity, why isn't the "individual unveilings get their own thread" message pinned to the top of Sports Logos anymore?

6fQjS3M.png

From the Orioles website --

Prior to the 2001 season, in conjunction with extensive renovations to the ballpark's playing surface and drainage system, the Orioles reconfigured the ballpark with outfield dimensions that were up to 7 feet larger than those used since Camden Yards opened in 1992. However, it was found that the new dimensions did not significantly improve sight lines for fans, as had been anticipated, and adversely affected the viewing angle of the batter's eye wall

As a result, the ballpark was returned to its original dimensions before the 2002 season. The changes included moving home plate approximately seven feet closer to the outfield, to its original spot 45 feet from the backstop. In addition, the entire field was shifted several degrees to the first base side and both the left field and right field foul poles were repositioned to their original locations. The foul line measurements decreased from 320 feet to 318 feet in right field and from 337 to 333 feet in left field. The center field distance decreased from 406 to 400 feet and the deepest part of the ballpark, in left center field, decreased from 417 to 410 feet..

It was just about to say the same myself.

We've done this before and it was decided that it wasn't working out.

Plus I think most people look at Camden Yards as a pretty neutral ballpark. Push comes to shove it probably does favor hitters slightly, but I think the overall trend is to try to make every ballpark as neutral as possible, which I like myself. I'm not a big believer myself in trying to build parks specifically geared towards pitching or hitting, because of the parks that have tried to do that usually wind up overdoing it.

How many times you saw an home run ball lands in 1st row in Left field? Now in any other ballpark that would been an out. My idea moving it back 10 feet makers hitters earn the homers there. No ordinary hitter should get an easy 4 bagger. If you wanna blast one out the use more muscle to do it.

HOForioles.png

So you want to do two things to an MLB park:

-Cut down on scoring

-take away high-priced seating

That could limit revenue as well from two price points on tickets. The average fan wants to see runs and the execs want to entertain clients at the ballpark.

Unless I'm mistaken, slim to no ballparks have a foul pole at 343 anymore. Most are in the 300-315 range.

Bad idea all around

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Well There wasn't many high scoring games at that old Memorial Stadium. And the O's never pitched pathetically in that place. Memorial Stadium was the perfect place for the O's

HOForioles.png

Archived