Something US sports get wrong!

Saintsfan

The Cup-winning team does also get a smaller replica of the Cup to keep.

If I'm not mistaken, each player gets one - they look to be about 10-12 inches high. I remember seeing a picture of Ken Morrow with one in SI - he won the US hockey gold and the Stanley Cup in the same year, 1980, so that tells you how long it's been since I've actually seen one of those replicas. I'm assuming they still do it but I suppose it might have changed in 24 years.

That and their names on the cup that stay thier for about 65 years. To me that's better and cooler than keeping the trophy. When ever some looks at the Cup they know you won it.

Must be a Canadian thing.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

What do you mean? I'd rather every boy dream about having a place on the Stanley Cup then every kid dreaming about screwing people over, getting ultra rich, buying a team, screwing the fans over repeatedly, demanding new stadiums, and finally, through only the effort of signing a cheque, getting a mantle deceration.

Glen Healy brought his replica to TSN broadcast this year it was about a foot high... and i know the Yanks are gonna hate when i bring this up but the Grey Cup is presented to the Playeron the field and it would be the second oldest or even older than the Stanley Cup... i get them mixed up all the time

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

That and their names on the cup that stay thier for about 65 years. To me that's better and cooler than keeping the trophy. When ever some looks at the Cup they know you won it.

Must be a Canadian thing.

Ok, I'm from New Jersey and have lived here my entire life. And a lot of people I know also think it is cool that the wiing team gets their name on the Cup. There is a reason why the Stanley Cup playoffs are the most intense playoffs. Because every player (even the American players) want to lift the Cup over their head and get their name on it that will stay there for about the rest of their life.

Let's keep in mind that hockey is also different because this time next year the Lightning won't even have the Stanley Cup in their possession.

Well, they could if:

A. There is no season next year.

B. They win the Stanley Cup again next year.

I love the Stanley Cup the best for several reasons. For one, it's huge so when you win it, it's like a gigantic exclamation point. Not to mention you're name will be permanently engraved on it (Even after the upto 65 years are through with the ring you're name was inscribed on, the rings are still kept in the Hall of Fame for the world to see.) Not to mention that it is THE trophy that all the greats have won, not a replica of that trophy. You can also drink straight from it, just like everybody else has. (I know you can do this with the NBA trophy too, but you got that big ball in the way and it just doesn't seem to have the same effect when you know you're the first and only team to drink out of it.) The NHL playoffs are also the most physically demanding as well, so the reward is greater. And yes, all the players do get a little replica stanley cup, primarily because to make 30 or so of the exact Stanley Cup every year, plus re-engraving all 2000+ names over and over again 30+ times would take an excruciatingly long long time.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Another reason to let the players get hold of the trophy first is that fans 'know' the players far more than they know the owners- they at least know the players names and bits about them and see them more than once a year!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

i don't know why the owners shouldn't get the trophy first, i mean its there team. a poster on here has already pointed out the semantics of the owner, so i won't repeat them.

but i don't have a problem with them getting the trophy first. There again, i don't hate big business, corporations and anybody with money.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

i don't know why the owners shouldn't get the trophy first, i mean its there team. a poster on here has already pointed out the semantics of the owner, so i won't repeat them.

but i don't have a problem with them getting the trophy first. There again, i don't hate big business, corporations and anybody with money.

I don't necesarily have a problem with owners- I just don't like the image of players sweating there hearts out and trying with every limb on there bodies and then the owner picking up the trophy. Doesn't quite sit right with me.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Personally, I don't care. I rather see the players get it first, but it doesn;t bother me if the owners gets it.

However its nice to se that the other sports have started what hockey has done for yaers and present the trophy on the field in front of the fans instead of in the locker room.

i don't know why the owners shouldn't get the trophy first, i mean its there team.  a poster on here has already pointed out the semantics of the owner, so i won't repeat them.

but i don't have a problem with them getting the trophy first.  There again, i don't hate big business, corporations and anybody with money.

I don't necesarily have a problem with owners- I just don't like the image of players sweating there hearts out and trying with every limb on there bodies and then the owner picking up the trophy. Doesn't quite sit right with me.

Good point, but don't think of it in such a time-constrained matter. Play it out -- the owner then turns around and almost immediately passes it to the coach or a player, thus rightly moving the hardware on to the people that earned it. The owner has the attention of all those observing and very publicly recognizes where the credit for the victory belongs.

Good point, but don't think of it in such a time-constrained matter. Play it out -- the owner then turns around and almost immediately passes it to the coach or a player, thus rightly moving the hardware on to the people that earned it. The owner has the attention of all those observing and very publicly recognizes where the credit for the victory belongs.

Hmm I guess- Don't get me wrong I don't lie awake worrying about it, it just seems like it would be cooler if the captain/coach/captains were first to get there hands on it! By all means have the owner standing by looking proud and taking part, but it seems to take away from the players when the owner is there front and center at that winning moment!

Oh and on another point- isn't there a trophy for superbowl MVP, (The Rozelle Trophy is it????) And yet when Brady has gotten his MVP award its been Terry Bradshaw handing the keys over to a car, why not give the trophy as well?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived