Something US sports get wrong!

Saintsfan

The owner picks up the trophy. Why not a player or the coach- seems wrong that the mega rich guy who has just sat on his ass in the sky boxes all year is the first one to pick up the prize.

Hockey gets this one right, but thats a canadian game!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's the owner's team; it's the team's trophy. I think that's why. And in most cases, the owner moves the hardware immediately on to either a coach or a player.

I can guess why, but my point is that people support the team, the players, not the owner! It seems much more natural that the guys who were actually playing for the trophy be given the trophy.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I should get to hoist the trophy. After all, I was sitting on the counch shouting out plays all season!

He was. I can hear him from here.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I can guess why, but my point is that people support the team, the players, not the owner! It seems much more natural that the guys who were actually playing for the trophy be given the trophy.

People do support the owner, in the pocket book.

I saw, I came, I left.

Sports are just kind of weird like that. Not too many high-profile jobs where the employees are infinitely more well-known than the boss. It would be like all the people writing source code for Microsoft getting center stage instead of Bill Gates

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

Well, look at tradition and you'll find the answer.

The original purpose of the Stanley Cup was to award to the best Amateur team, so there were no owners to pass the trophy to. The players just shared it and played around with it, and tradition was born.

The other three major sports trophies were created by a leauge run by owners.

The original purpose of the Stanley Cup was to award to the best Amateur team, so there were no owners to pass the trophy to. The players just shared it and played around with it, and tradition was born.

True, this has everything to do with the tradition of the Cup comapred to other sports. The Stanley Cup is old and has a history of itself, it's the same Cup every year compared to a new trophy in the other sports. The Stanley Cup is over 100 years old when the second oldest of the big 4 is the Vince Lombardi trophy I think, and that was first awarded in 1967.

IN the NFL, the owner doesnt hoist the Vince first does he?

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

But, IIRC, the tradition of presenting the Cup on ice and skating with it didn't begind until after it was being awarded to pro teams.

The original purpose of the Stanley Cup was to award to the best Amateur team, so there were no owners to pass the trophy to.  The players just shared it and played around with it, and tradition was born.

But, IIRC, the tradition of presenting the Cup on ice and skating with it didn't begind until after it was being awarded to pro teams.

I don't know about the "skating around" part, but I mean in the fact the trophy was not intended to be awarded to an owner.

The NHL is the only sport where the players get the trophy first in the NBA, MLB, and NFL its the owner one needs only to recall SB XXXVII when Bucs owners Malcom Glazer was drooling on the trophy.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't necesarilt mean this as an anti owner tirade, but when guys bust there guts out all year it seems tough that they aren't the first! If I was an owner I would insist if my team won a player got the trophy first. Mind you I come from a European tradition I guess were it is always the captain who picks up the trophy rather than anyone else.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I should get to hoist the trophy. After all, I was sitting on the counch shouting out plays all season!

Wow, imagine all the energy, dedication, and hard work you put into that season!

If I was an owner I would insist if my team won a player got the trophy first.

Well I guess you have a dream there, no go achieve it!

I personally don't see anything wrong with the owner recieving the trophy first. I mean he writes all the checks and gives these players these kind of lifestyles. It's his team and his team won the trophy, it's his trophy! Let's keep in mind that hockey is also different because this time next year the Lightning won't even have the Stanley Cup in their possession. All they'll have to show for it is rings and a banner. At least with the MLB, NFL, and NBA they get to keep the trophy they are presented with. To me, that's how it should be!

Hey, does anybody have any idea where the leagues keep all these trophy's? Do they get them massed produced or do they just create one each year?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

At least with the MLB, NFL, and NBA they get to keep the trophy they are presented with. To me, that's how it should be!

See I think this is wrong to- you are playing for THE trophy not a trophy! I would want to be holding the same trophy that all the greats have had there hands on! Not just the trophy for that year.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

All they'll have to show for it is rings and a banner.  At least with the MLB, NFL, and NBA they get to keep the trophy they are presented with.  To me, that's how it should be!

That and their names on the cup that stay thier for about 65 years. To me that's better and cooler than keeping the trophy. When ever some looks at the Cup they know you won it.

Archived