Here comes the Sun [Belt]

Fifty8_Black O

There's something about smaller, lesser known conferences, that makes me excited about redesigning the uniforms for all the teams. It might be the fact that most don't have long standing uniform traditions (like Bama or Michigan's home unis), or that most of the current designs are template cut outs, or that when I start I know almost nothing about the school, but I do really like trying to create uniform concepts for smaller schools. Last summer around this time I did some MAC concepts and I really liked the exercise of trying to look at a school and football program as a whole and figure out how to communicate the brand through uniform design. I wanted to start up again this summer and I chose the Sun Belt. I plan on doing all of the schools listed on the map below but that just depends on my work schedule this summer. Really I just want this to be a fun summer project and I hope to get some good C&C.

so without further ado, your new Sun Belt:

SunBeltMap_zps4f356ed5.jpg

COMPLETED TEAMS:

IDAHO

S. ALABAMA

UL - MONROE

IDAHO

For Idaho I wanted more of a traditional feel. I unified the gold all the way through the uniform with a slightly more old gold color than Idaho usually uses. I just felt like it fit the school more than a metallic gold. I kept the pants and helmet pretty simple, no stripe. On the jersey I went with an old school drop shadow number which I really like and a sleeve design this is a modern execution of an old school sleeve hoop. All in all I like this design for them. I think it's much simpler and classier than what the Vandals currently use and just says "IDAHO" to me.

idaho_zps7f9a4066.jpg

S. ALABAMA

South Alabama was tough because they don't have a long tenured football program and their history has been filled with templated designs like this and this. For this design I started with the helmet. The striping is similar to the Ohio State Pro Combat helmet from a few years back and also the new potential UCF helmet. The striping tapers off in the back into a crescent with a red crescent below it. This striping pattern was inspired by the logo and is also used on the pants. For the jerseys I gave them a pretty simple block font with a red outline on both (again taking the red accent from the logo) and a custom striping pattern on the sleeves. Its a relatively modern design but its also simple enough that it doesn't look over done and, again, was inspired by the logo.

usa_zps4e5b03c1.jpg

UL - MONROE

My first decision with ULM was to use the full bodied warhawk logo because to me the current helmet logo just look incomplete. I kept the white helmet and the single red stripe the same though. I put the ULM Warhawk badge logo on the hip because I thought it really went well with the fauxback design elements also included in the jersey. Monroe has a nice palette so I wanted to included all the colors in the uniform without over-designing so I thought northwestern style stripes would look nice and keep it traditional. The number font is simple and clean but also brings a little more modern feel to the design.

ULM_zps8195b47c.jpg

So thats how this starts. C&C is encouraged and hopefully over the next week I can crank out three more of these. Already have two teams in the works. Thanks guys.

Not bad for Idaho. Not sure I like the shoulder stripes thought but it's not bad at all. Maybe try black pants with the white jersey too. The other ones are great. Nice work!

BTW, John Friesz wore #17, not #11.

Good start. Not too sure the shield logo works on the hips for ULM, but the rest of the look is very nice. One thing to note is that ULM is in the northern part of the state while ULL is in the southern part of Louisiana. Swapping the vertical position of the 2 would basically resolve this.

gYH2mW9.png

Not bad for Idaho. Not sure I like the shoulder stripes thought but it's not bad at all. Maybe try black pants with the white jersey too. The other ones are great. Nice work!

BTW, John Friesz wore #17, not #11.

I did try black pants when I originally was working on these but I didn't wanna go all mix-and-match with these guys (some of that will come later) but at the end of this I may post some more options that didnt quite make the cut. Also wow youre right, not sure at what point the 7 became a 1. Just a mess up on my part, if I redo these I'll fix it up but not that important to the design. Thanks for the feedback.

Good start. Not too sure the shield logo works on the hips for ULM, but the rest of the look is very nice. One thing to note is that ULM is in the northern part of the state while ULL is in the southern part of Louisiana. Swapping the vertical position of the 2 would basically resolve this.

Thanks for pointing that out, I tried to be as correct as possible on the map but it was a tight squeeze in some spots. When I update it I'll switch them, good catch. On the shield I think you may be right. I tried just the stripe- no shield or other logo and it just looked incomplete. I'll post some options tomorrow if I get around to messing with it. In the meantime I'm open to suggestions!

i really like south alabama, and it would be cool to see a red alternate

I might throw some alts in at the end, and some teams will come built with alternate unis but for some I think the set looks stronger without any. But stay tuned that might be one I add in.

Pretty solid. The ULM and South Alabama sponsors are switched but I think adidas could pull off the Warhawks unis you designed

Yeah I am not super worried about jersey sponsor affiliation much when I do these. Mostly because these schools aren't having jerseys designed for them in real life and there's most likely no real "sponsorship" in place so unless theres a real strong reason for keeping the jersey sponsor I either go with what cut I think fits the design the best or sometimes I just play around with all 3 (Nike, Adi, UA) and see what I like most.

• 10 months later...

Hey I liked your concepts here. Are you going to finish them?

Also I was wondering if you had a vector version of the Sunbelt logos that I could get from you? I was thinking for doing some concepts for the Sunbelt myself.

Idaho must be nuts by being in Sun Belt since their opponents are far southeast while they should have been in Mountain West which is much closer for them

It was either going to the Sun Belt or scale down to the FCS. I can't blame them though.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Idaho must be nuts by being in Sun Belt since their opponents are far southeast while they should have been in Mountain West which is much closer for them

It was either going to the Sun Belt or scale down to the FCS. I can't blame them though.

Yeah I wish it would have been easy for anyone on trips

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Archived