College Basketball 2013-14 Season

wILL-INI

Great news about Duke reverting back to the 1992 style. I'd like to see it permanent but even for a couple games it's cool.

The thing I liked about them is they didn't change at all from those 1992s all the way to 2005, from Grant Hill to Jason Williams to the Redick years. Only UCLA has/had a longer streak I believe.

grant-hill-duke_display_image.jpg?130758641419_display_image.jpg?1315166767t_25639_06.jpg

There are at least two differences between the Hill uniform and the Williams/Redick...They're minor, but it's not the same uniform...

edit: not talking about the flag

The Duke word mark is slightly altered?

Great news about Duke reverting back to the 1992 style. I'd like to see it permanent but even for a couple games it's cool.

The thing I liked about them is they didn't change at all from those 1992s all the way to 2005, from Grant Hill to Jason Williams to the Redick years. Only UCLA has/had a longer streak I believe.

grant-hill-duke_display_image.jpg?130758641419_display_image.jpg?1315166767t_25639_06.jpg

There are at least two differences between the Hill uniform and the Williams/Redick...They're minor, but it's not the same uniform...

edit: not talking about the flag

The Duke word mark is slightly altered?

Yep. Also, the stripe on the shorts is different. It now comes to a point and is the template used by a bunch of Nike schools.

Duke changed the lettering from vertically arched to radially arced. I find this somewhat ironic, because the radial arc has a more old-timey feel which may have been what they were going for. The panelling switched to the sword-like point rather than running straight down the leg that was very similar to UCONN and UK at the time. I'm pretty sure it became a common Nike template, because Duke used it first. Most Nike templates were/are imitations of their elite programs. The Duke template specially has made a comeback around college hoops over the past year or two.

Seeing these pictures makes me wish Duke would go back to strictly blue and white on the standard home and away uniforms. I don't have a problem with the black alternate, I actually really like it, but the classic home and roads look so much richer sans black.

Whoa whoa whoa, I think we have a new logo! Get that on the football helmet immediately!

It's unclear to me. It looks almost like a new logo, but eerily similar to several other variations of the tiger head logo we have used in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I do agree that it would fit well on the helmets with the "Geaux" font.

gYH2mW9.png

Whoa whoa whoa, I think we have a new logo! Get that on the football helmet immediately!

It's unclear to me. It looks almost like a new logo, but eerily similar to several other variations of the tiger head logo we have used in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I do agree that it would fit well on the helmets with the "Geaux" font.

To me it looks like a cleaned up and symmetrical version of the logo currently on the football helmets.

Duke changed the lettering from vertically arched to radially arced. I find this somewhat ironic, because the radial arc has a more old-timey feel which may have been what they were going for. The panelling switched to the sword-like point rather than running straight down the leg that was very similar to UCONN and UK at the time. I'm pretty sure it became a common Nike template, because Duke used it first. Most Nike templates were/are imitations of their elite programs. The Duke template specially has made a comeback around college hoops over the past year or two.

Seeing these pictures makes me wish Duke would go back to strictly blue and white on the standard home and away uniforms. I don't have a problem with the black alternate, I actually really like it, but the classic home and roads look so much richer sans black.

Most of us alums would like to see only blue and white on the home and roads as it was until the fall of 2004 (road) and fall of 2005 (home). I've always liked the black as an alternate, rarely used except in a big nonconference game and a couple of conference games as originally intended in the fall of 1996 when introduced. In fact, Duke's use of black is so old at this point that it pretty much introduced BFBS. As a side note, I bought the first black authentic Duke jersey and shorts ever sold at the Duke store in November 1996, the morning after they were surprisingly unveiled in the home opener against St. Joe's (after Duke originally came out in an odd assortment of warmups hiding the uniforms).

As for the lettering - Nike changed Duke's fonts regularly between 1993 and fall 1997; the fonts were then standardized until slightly changed in the 2011 Nike athletic departmentwide rebrand. In my four years at Duke (1994-7 seasons), the uniforms received a minor (or more - see 1994-5 and the introduction of the "sword" pants used today) tweak each year.

To me it looks like a cleaned up and symmetrical version of the logo currently on the football helmets.

Maybe so. But there are a lot of differences. So much so that I would consider it a new logo versus a cleaned up logo. But as I said. This looks as though it was derived more from some of the tiger heads used in the 80s and 90s.

gYH2mW9.png

Maybe so. But there are a lot of differences. So much so that I would consider it a new logo versus a cleaned up logo. But as I said. This looks as though it was derived more from some of the tiger heads used in the 80s and 90s.

Read the linked article, the answer is clear:

One of the most notable things that will be evident for those at the Maravich Center and especially for those watching on television around the country is the new Tiger head logo at mid court under the returning primary LSU logo. Also, a two-tone stain design highlights the area inside the purple three-point shooting arc.

Both baselines now feature the word “Tigers” in gold, while the sideline opposite the main camera positions and the two benches has the venue name – Pete Maravich Assembly Center – in white.

“The design of this logo and the court was a collaboration of our staff, coaches and our administration,” said LSU Senior Associate Athletic Director, Eddie Nunez. “Our goal from the beginning was to give the court a reenergized look and to showcase the LSU brand with the new Tiger head logo.

kU6ns.gif

Read the linked article, the answer is clear:

One of the most notable things that will be evident for those at the Maravich Center and especially for those watching on television around the country is the new Tiger head logo at mid court under the returning primary LSU logo. Also, a two-tone stain design highlights the area inside the purple three-point shooting arc.

Both baselines now feature the word “Tigers” in gold, while the sideline opposite the main camera positions and the two benches has the venue name – Pete Maravich Assembly Center – in white.

“The design of this logo and the court was a collaboration of our staff, coaches and our administration,” said LSU Senior Associate Athletic Director, Eddie Nunez. “Our goal from the beginning was to give the court a reenergized look and to showcase the LSU brand with the new Tiger head logo.

I saw that when I read it but was unsure if they meant that it was actually a new Tiger head logo (a rather odd way to unveil it if you ask me) or if they meant it was new...as in new to the court.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived