If you would change any sports logo what would you change them to?

tv15

Any talk about ditching the Orca gets unlimited support from me. I do agree with Chromatic that the Stick 'n Rink makes a better primary crest than the current Johnny V. However, I strongly feel that the full-body Johnny Canuck would make the best primary identity for the Canucks. If the Penguins can have a skating penguin, which has been iconic for decades, then the skating Johnny is a timeless classic. Perhaps a full-body Johnny incorporated into a pointy-type V?

Oh, I couldn't agree more about the full-body Johnny, but I don't think anything else needs to be added.

fqsaneuuzbmiftlbsyuv5htof.gif

That would be a perfect primary logo for the Canucks. To incorporate the "V", I'd top it off with this as the shoulder patch:

Canucks-Millionaires-Patch.jpg

There's history there, and it keeps the "city name" thing they've got going without overwhelming the crest like their wordmark does now.

Any talk about ditching the Orca gets unlimited support from me. I do agree with Chromatic that the Stick 'n Rink makes a better primary crest than the current Johnny V. However, I strongly feel that the full-body Johnny Canuck would make the best primary identity for the Canucks. If the Penguins can have a skating penguin, which has been iconic for decades, then the skating Johnny is a timeless classic. Perhaps a full-body Johnny incorporated into a pointy-type V?

Oh, I couldn't agree more about the full-body Johnny, but I don't think anything else needs to be added.

fqsaneuuzbmiftlbsyuv5htof.gif

That would be a perfect primary logo for the Canucks. To incorporate the "V", I'd top it off with this as the shoulder patch:

Canucks-Millionaires-Patch.jpg

There's history there, and it keeps the "city name" thing they've got going without overwhelming the crest like their wordmark does now.

I see where you guys are coming from, and I love the full-bodied Johnny as a logo, but I just can't see it working by itself as a primary logo.

Johnny Canuck is so lame, and now I can't unsee this: It looks like his face is detached from his beard because of the surrounding blue outline. It's like an enclave, and also looks like an angry Pac-Man.

I understand your concern, but think the skating penguin shows that it can.

The skating penguin anchored by the gold triangle.

Like its been said, in order to work you'd have to incorporate it into a roundel or something. I don't think a V would work.

How about incorporating the full-body Johnny into the "Rink" element of the Stick 'n Rink? I still feel that Johnny Canuck would stand out very well on a jersey without even using a crest-like design for a backdrop.

As Canuck fans, we have been so used to stylized letters(Stick and Orca C's) and a team word-mark in a circular crest(Speeding Skate) over the years that having a human character for a primary crest may take quite a bit of getting used to for some people. At first, I wasn't crazy about the idea of having a human character for a hockey team crest but after a while, I started to appreciate the history of Johnny Canuck and its inspiration for the original Western League Canucks.

Some cartoony logos can work very well as a primaries as long as they don't look overly animated. I really feel that had Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment not been in the picture and Johnny had replaced the Skate back in '97, the Canucks' identity crisis would have finally been put to rest.

Remember this too: Johnny has two elements from past Canuck NHL logos. His stick(Stick in Rink) and his moving on skates(Speeding Skate).

Other than the fact that they're skating, what exactly do the Pens and Canucks logos have in common? Johnny Canuck is too detailed and isn't "anchored" in the same fashion as the Pens' logo is.

Plus, the Pens logo pales in comparison to the Robo-Pen.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived