Washington, DC 2024, anyone?

Viper

Washington-Baltimore should be eliminated for just traffic problems they have NOW!

That and the never-ending issues the Metrorail system has. The transit agency is terrible and insanely expensive. One of the most expensive in the country.

As a rider of the Metrorail, I agree with you fully. It's almost came to a point where its cheaper to drive into DC than to take Metrorail.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many had doubts about Indianapolis hosting Super Bowl XLVI, and that went off marvelously and fluidly, with the league's desirability of seeing the city host the game again being very high.

NOTE: Half of the reason XLVI went off marvelously and fluidly was because the temperature was in the 60s all week.

Granted, the other half is because Indy's really a fantastic city when you look past "LOL INDIA-NO-PLACE" but at the same time, if we had won XLV, nobody'd ever be talking about Indy hosting again.*

*While North Texas had ice storms the week of their Super Bowl, so too did Indy. Ice storms that quite literally shut the city down for what would've been Super Bowl week.

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah...and guess who had the dubious honor and distinction of having to ice-skate drive 30 miles to work the morning after those ice storms? This guy right here. (Well, once I managed to break through the inch-thick layer of ice coating my doors just to get in the thing. That was a horrid morning.)

But yeah, had the SB been held in in Indy the year before, it'd have been game over--folk would've been turned into human icicles. But to the point of this thread, Super Bowl =/= Olympics. No way. I mean sure, Indy tore up permanent infrastructure to construct the Super Bowl Village, which now remains as Georgia Avenue, but um, see, Indy has this issue with public transportation, and um uh...

....So yeah--ain't no Olympics happening in no Indianapolis no time soon, if ever.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Washington-Baltimore should be eliminated for just traffic problems they have NOW!

That and the never-ending issues the Metrorail system has. The transit agency is terrible and insanely expensive. One of the most expensive in the country.

As a rider of the Metrorail, I agree with you fully. It's almost came to a point where its cheaper to drive into DC than to take Metrorail.

Almost?!?! Driving into and out of DC during the morning and evening rush hour is quite the norm over here in Northern Virginia.

If the region boosts up VRE, MARC, Metrorail, local buses, builds streetcars and light rail, then let them have it. I am from the DC area and we sure need all of those.

Agreed.

VRE is currently a joke since it only has two lines: one operating from DC to Manassas and the other from DC to Fredericksburg. I've taken the VRE line from DC to Fredericksburg numerous times, in which it usually takes two hours to get from point A to point B. However, one can drive from Fredericksburg to DC in almost half that time, provided 95 isn't slammed by traffic.

Metro is in the process of creating the Silver Line to Dulles Airport under the name of "Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project". In hindsight, they should have linked all the local airports (Dulles and BWI) decades ago, but that seems to be the running story when reflecting on "expanding the Metro" in the first place. Phase I of this expansion is nearly completed. The Silver Line will run from East Falls Church to Wiehle Avenue/Reston Avenue. Phase II, from Wiehle Avenue - Reston Station to Dulles Airport should be completed by 2019 (I'm estimating here); provided there's enough funding for it.

I can't comment on the MARC liness, streetcar and light rail items since I don't know their system or how they operate. As for the local bus systems, I'm sure they're useful, but I would be more comfortable taking the Metro rail from Point A to Point B than being on a bus since I've witnessed some questionable driving from the Metro bus drivers, and other bus system drivers, in my time taking them throughout DC.

Almost?!?! Driving into and out of DC during the morning and evening rush hour is quite the norm over here in Northern Virginia.

If the region boosts up VRE, MARC, Metrorail, local buses, builds streetcars and light rail, then let them have it. I am from the DC area and we sure need all of those.

Agreed.

VRE is currently a joke since it only has two lines: one operating from DC to Manassas and the other from DC to Fredericksburg. I've taken the VRE line from DC to Fredericksburg numerous times, in which it usually takes two hours to get from point A to point B. However, one can drive from Fredericksburg to DC in almost half that time, provided 95 isn't slammed by traffic.

Metro is in the process of creating the Silver Line to Dulles Airport under the name of "Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project". In hindsight, they should have linked all the local airports (Dulles and BWI) decades ago, but that seems to be the running story when reflecting on "expanding the Metro" in the first place. Phase I of this expansion is nearly completed. The Silver Line will run from East Falls Church to Wiehle Avenue/Reston Avenue. Phase II, from Wiehle Avenue - Reston Station to Dulles Airport should be completed by 2019 (I'm estimating here); provided there's enough funding for it.

I can't comment on the MARC liness, streetcar and light rail items since I don't know their system or how they operate. As for the local bus systems, I'm sure they're useful, but I would be more comfortable taking the Metro rail from Point A to Point B than being on a bus since I've witnessed some questionable driving from the Metro bus drivers, and other bus system drivers, in my time taking them throughout DC.

I don't even know how to reply to that "Almost?!?! Driving into and out of DC during the morning and evening rush hour is quite the norm over here in Northern Virginia." without insulting you, no offense or anything.

I've also taken VRE line from DC to Fredericksburg numerous times, and its never taken me two hours to get there.

I echo all the sentiments of the MetroRail being one of the poorest designed and poorest run public transportation systems. I'd hate to see the Olympics in DC. The infrastructure just isn't there (and never will be there).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Metro is only like 40some years old, right? It's hard to do rail transit that late in the game. Also, Washington seems to be a rather poorly designed city, so garbage in, garbage out, I guess. For whatever it's worth, I like the way their underground stations look with the big vaulted ceilings. Feels like Grand Public Architecture, you know? Most of the L's underground stations have ugly little ceramic tiling all over and feel like being in some Greek family's bathroom.

Funny, the two people I know who live in DC (well, one's in Alexandria) have mostly good things to say about the Metro.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know when I was doing my off campus study semester in DC I never had any real complaints about the subway portion of the metro. Granted I usually didn't go to far into the suburbs, but still.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The underground stops are beautiful. Some Metro rail lines are better than others. One line always has continuous problems, no matter how much maintenance occurs. The entire system is 40 years old but apparently little to no maintenance was performed until recently.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Some grade-separated transit is better than no grade-separated transit at all. I'd rather have DC's transit system that my city's, or most others' for that matter. New York and Boston have better transit than DC; maybe San Francisco (though I'd argue the point). But after those, who else?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Chicago should be ahead of Washington, but it's not without its major flaws: many L stations aren't handicapped-accessible, the far south side has no L service, and there are some serious slow zones on the near north side. On the heavy rail side of things, Metra mostly runs a tight ship, except for the Metra Electric, which is something between rapid transit and commuter rail but doesn't serve either purpose terribly well.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived