Paramount Football League - Cincinnati

JoHyphenE

Hello all, for awhile now I have been wanting to start my own concept league, but I hadn't been able to produce a product that I was satisfied with and willing to share. After fooling around with GIMP for the past few months, I think I have finally created a league worth sharing. I have developed a league made up of some of my favorite cities in the US that were large enough to possibly be able to support a team. Most don't have a football team but a few do have one, but are not 4 sport cities of the NHL, NFL, MLB, and NBA(not including metro areas). The league is made up of 16 teams is called the Paramount Football League. Paramount means supreme or above all others, so in this fictional world it would have once been more popular than the NFL, but has since been able to coexist with it, much like the AFL and NFL did before merging. The leagues 16 cities, nicknames, and color schemes are pretty much set in stone at this point, as I have produced a good portion of the league already.

The 16 cities are as follows (names will be released with each team):

Boise (Idaho Appaloosas)

Seattle

San Jose

El Paso Renegades

Des Moines (Iowa Goldfinches)

Tulsa

Kansas City Bees

Little Rock (Arkansas Diamonds)

Louisville Flyers

Pittsburgh

Providence Sailors

Cincinnati Engineers

Charlotte Royals

Jackson

Baton Rouge

Tampa Bay

Here is a map of the team locations split into divisions (West, East, South, and Central):

pflmap_zps26173d5a.png

The league logo is as follows:

PFLLogoCentered_zpsa37a0afe.png

The first team should be up within a few days. All the primaries will be released, then the alternates/scripts, and then once those are finalized I will begin with the uniforms.

NOTE: Several of the fonts I will be using in this league were produced by Conrad. I would like to give a big thanks to him and anyone who helped make those fonts and the other fonts I will be using!

scarvessmall_zpsc4c8e942.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few notes about the league and its history before I post the first team. The PFL started in 1976 with only 4 teams. (Idaho, El Paso, Iowa, and Providence) Since 1976, the PFL has granted 12 expansion franchises. Each expansion team has been awarded after 3 years so '79, '82, '85, etc. In the current season with 16 teams, the team's schedules have 6 games against their division (3 home, 3 away) and then they play 3 of the teams from each other division totaling 15 games per team. The top 8 teams in terms of record make the playoffs and they play in a single elimination format(Top seed against 8th seed, 2nd against 7th, and so forth) .

The first team being presented is one of the charter members of the PFL, the El Paso Renegades! The Renegades have won a few championships ('78, '83, '00, '04) seeing as they have been around since the formation of the league and that the league doesn't have a huge number of teams. The Renegades have generally been above .500 in their seasons in the league, but aren't very consistent in the playoffs. Without further ado, here is the first franchise of the Paramount Football League, the El Paso Renegades!

ElPasoRenegadesprimary_zps6bca03c6.png

C+C Appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Still looking for some C+C on El Paso, but in the meantime here is the next team. The Providence Sailors were on of the 4 founding members of the PFL and have won 4 PFL Titles in their history. Almost all of New England supports the team and want the name to be changed to the New England Sailors, but their owner, Sean Weirup, is from Providence and says he will never change the name. The Sailors have not reached the playoffs since 2001 when they won the PFL Title and have had 4 different coaches since then. Their current coach, James Whelan, has an extremely hot seat heading into this season after going 4-11, but their GM has faith that this year they will finally break back into the playoffs. Here are the Providence Sailors!

ProvidenceSailorsPrimary_zps0d47dd4f.png

I attempted to make this anchor with a bevel, but I couldn't get it right so I settled with this look. I would really like to be able to make an accurate bevel so please give some C+C with advice, thanks!

Both of these are solid, would love to see some uniforms.

All in due time, my friend. :)

Still searching for help with the bevel for the Sailors, but while I'm waiting I've decided to introduce the third founding member of the PFL. The Idaho Appaloosas are the first of several teams named after a state or city symbol. The appaloosa is the state horse of Idaho and has a special leopard-spotted pattern. The Idaho Appaloosas are located in Boise, Idaho and have won 5 championships, including the first two. They are tied for the most titles in league history with San Jose. Here are your Idaho Appaloosas!

IdahoAppaloosasPrimary_zpsd4bea737.png

I had a hard time trying to depict motion with this one and I again request your help in making the logo look more realistic. Also, do the Idaho and A for Appaloosas in the mane clutter it or do you think they work? Please help me with these and as always C+C is appreciated, thanks for stopping in!

I REALLY LOVE THE NAME. But I have a few problems on the logo. Get rid of the the script on the mane, it doesn't look right, but if you like the idea of having a wordmark put it underneath the hose head. Also on the mane, make it longer and "harrier". On the neck make it "flow" like the Carolina Panthers logo, instead of just a straight line. On the ears, make them a little bit rounder, but not too round. And on the color scheme rearrange the spots, you horse looks like a cow, use the picture below for reference. If you do this you'll take a decent logo, and tun it into a great one.

THIEL_619.jpg

NEWSGG copy.png

Appaloosa_stallion.JPG

This was my reference photo for the pattern for the face but I toned it down a bit so it wouldn't clutter up the face. I didn't think it was distinguishable as an appaloosa without the facial spots. Thanks for the feedback though, I will work with your suggestions and update it when I am satisfied with it.

Appaloosa_stallion.JPG

This was my reference photo for the pattern for the face but I toned it down a bit so it wouldn't clutter up the face. I didn't think it was distinguishable as an appaloosa without the facial spots. Thanks for the feedback though, I will work with your suggestions and update it when I am satisfied with it.

I see your reasoning, but please get rid of the letters in the mane.

NEWSGG copy.png

Archived