Premier League to Football Crossover - Queens Park Rangers Added Feb. 28

davidmiller5

The insert stripe on Stoke's home jersey doesn't match the stripe on your pants (like the Bengals unis). Have you thought about giving Stoke red pants?

Thanks for your comment. I did need to decide what to do with that. I wanted to keep the home pants white since Stoke City F.C. has worn white shorts with their regular kits almost exclusively for over 100 years. Then I needed to decide whether I would do a Patriots-style side panel or the contrasting color stripe. I decided to go with the white stripe since their soccer kit is red-and-white stripes. It does create a mismatched stripe, but I think that this is the best of the options.

award%20sig.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back again after quite a break.

ManUOverview.png

ManUJerseys.png

I gave the Red Devils a more modern look. I kept the somewhat abstract devil from their crest as their main logo. I took the top of the trident and turned it upside down to make an M as the alternate logo (and turned it sideways in the wordmarks). The striping on the helmet and shoulders ends in the trident; I thought it was a good way to incorporate the alternate logo into the design. I thought a trident on the pants would be too much, so I took out the two side tines.

The default home look would be the red jersey with white pants, but the helmets and different jersey combinations are interchangeable.

Man U has been using gingham patterns on their jerseys for the last few years, so I sublimated it onto the backs of all three jerseys.

Manchester United's change and third kits are some combination of white, black, and blue; so I gave them a black uniform as an alternate (the blue doesn't really work with this color scheme).

The number font is custom; I modified Baylor's numbers.

award%20sig.png

Back again after quite a break.

ManUOverview.png

ManUJerseys.png

I gave the Red Devils a more modern look. I kept the somewhat abstract devil from their crest as their main logo. I took the top of the trident and turned it upside down to make an M as the alternate logo (and turned it sideways in the wordmarks). The striping on the helmet and shoulders ends in the trident; I thought it was a good way to incorporate the alternate logo into the design. I thought a trident on the pants would be too much, so I took out the two side tines.

The default home look would be the red jersey with white pants, but the helmets and different jersey combinations are interchangeable.

Man U has been using gingham patterns on their jerseys for the last few years, so I sublimated it onto the backs of all three jerseys.

Manchester United's change and third kits are some combination of white, black, and blue; so I gave them a black uniform as an alternate (the blue doesn't really work with this color scheme).

The number font is custom; I modified Baylor's numbers.

I think there's a bit too much going on in this. The jerseys have a lot going on. Manchester United usually has pretty simple designs so it's interesting that you went with a lot of patterns/stripes for them. I think making the home/away jersey more simple and less complex and making the third kit be more of a "tribute" design would be best. I've never been a fan of using white pants on a kit with 3 other colors also, 4 colors on one kit is way too much. However, you obviously need to use white pants. I would ditch the yellow completely from the home kit.

I think those are a definite improvement, although I think the gingham on the back of the shirts is perhaps over egging the pudding a bit.

Out of interest, what's the thinking behind the design on the back of the socks - is it supposed to look like they're laced up or something?

I think those are a definite improvement, although I think the gingham on the back of the shirts is perhaps over egging the pudding a bit.

Thanks for the feedback (and the creative wording). If I get more comments sharing this sentiment I will get rid of it.

I am ready to go with Cardiff, but would like some more feedback on Manchester before I post it.

award%20sig.png

Well, here's Cardiff.

cardiffoverview.png

unihome.png

uniaway.png

unihome2.pnguniaway2.png

uniALT.png

Cardiff City FC underwent a major redesign in 2012. They switched their color from blue to red and changed their crest from having a bluebird to the dragon from the Welsh flag. I felt it was important to use their current look as a basis for their identity since the owner of the team wanted to make the changes. Cardiff City wears a red jersey with black shorts, but I decided to use the colors from their current crest instead of their kits. The alternate wordmark is Cardiff Dragons in Welsh.

Since they have had a complete redesign in the past few years, I wanted to give them a more modern, extreme look that involved points to emphasize their new Dragon identity.

A few notes on the uniforms. Their motto Fire and Passion is on their back helmet bumper. They have a tramp stamp (I hate them but figured one team should have it); it is Cardiff in Welsh. The sock striping pattern is taken from their current soccer crest border.

I did design a Bluebirds alternate. I know that no team would have a "throwback" jersey when they are trying to forge a new identity, but this is a concept board.

award%20sig.png

Well, I guess that's it. All twenty EPL teams are done. Thanks to all who viewed and commented on these concepts; I have never done a series before (or much designing before this), and you helped me with what can work in uniform design and what doesn't work so well.

Hopefully at some point I will add the teams that get promoted this spring, but for now I am excited about a new project I am working on so I won't be doing any Championship teams, Champions League teams, etc.

award%20sig.png

• 1 year later...

Well, I decided to bring update this project with the three teams that were promoted last spring. I finished up my last major project a while ago and haven't decided what I will do next, so I did this in the meantime.

First up is Leicester City, who become the Leicester Foxes. They use Puma, so I wanted to do something unorthodox, so I went with narrow stripes that are visible from the front. (Yes, my Puma template consists of the adidas top and Nike pants.)

LEICESTER%20Overview.png

leicester%20uni%20home.png

leicester%20uni%20away.png

leicester%20uni%20alt.png

The alternate is simply a Pro-Combat-style uniform set. I figured Puma would want something even less traditional for the alternate. The helmet is a hydro-chrome with an oversized reflective decal. The striping and numbers are all metallic gold, and the stripes are thicker.

award%20sig.png

Burnley was difficult because they are another team that wears claret kits with sky blue sleeves (joining Aston Villa and West Ham). I made sure to differentiate Aston Villa and West Ham. Now I have a third team that I need to make look different enough to not be confused with the other teams.

BURNLEY%20Overview.png

burnley%20uni%20home.png

burnley%20uni%20AWAY.png

burnley%20uni%20ALT.png

I was really tempted to call them the Burnley Bees, due to the fact that their crest from 1979-2009 prominently featured a bee (and the city's coat of arms also features bees), but I decided to call them the Clarets because that is what their fans call them. I wanted to give them a uniform set that looks fairly classic (or old, if you prefer). I wanted striping and number font that looks like it hasn't been changed in 40 years. I put the bee on the helmet and also wanted to make it look like it hasn't been changed in 40 years (in my mind, the bee is a quirk from long ago that stuck and now will never be changed). Then we have the sleeves. They don't look old, but they incorporate the chevron(?) from their primary logo (which is taken from their current crest). It allowed me to give them blue sleeves on a claret jersey that was still unique.

They have worn quite a few yellow alternate and third kits through the years, and I didn't want to go with a blue alternate (again, to differentiate from Aston Villa and West Ham). They protested the leagues alternate helmet rule--they only want to wear their classic helmet. They got around the rule by only changing the facemask color from its traditional gray to yellow.

The football field keeps with their traditional (old) look; in my mind, it also hasn't changed in 40 years.

award%20sig.png

Ok, then. Here is the last team.

I wanted to give Queens Park Rangers a more modern look because they got a new crest fairly recently (2008) that incorporated silver. They also are the only team in the EPL that wears hoops, so I wanted to honor that.

QPR%20Overview.png

QPR%20home%20uni.png

QPR%20away%20uni.png

QPR%20alt%20uni.png

I wanted to update the interlocking letters they used for quite a bit of their (crested) history. The 1975-82 version is too plain and doesn't look modern enough for what I was wanting to do with the their look. The 1982-2008 version is too wispy to look good on a helmet and as a primary logo. I wanted a serifed font with a Q that looked good with the P behind it. I finally found a font that had what I was looking for, and interestingly it is named Queens Park.

I sublimated stripes into the jersey to mimic their hooped look as closely as a football uniform could. Before you say sublimated stripes never happen in football, remember these.

The alternate is a fauxback that hearkens back to the kits they wore from 1892-1922. I thought that if the Steelers can pull off a hooped alternate jersey, QPR could too. The helmet is the same as the one Aston Villa wears with their alternate jerseys. I decided that I would do that because they are both outfitted by Nike, and it is a helmet that isn't a look associated with any one team but with an era.

award%20sig.png

Archived