NHL Cambodia

JCRGraphix

In case I haven't mentioned it yet here, I'm moving to Seoul, South Korea this February for a year. One of the first things I did was find somewhere to play pick-up hockey. As it turns out, there is a decent amount of hockey being played there, which got me thinking about what it would be like if hockey evolved in Asia instead of North America. So, I closed my eyes and pointed at a map and came up with Cambodia. This project is my idea of what the NHL would look like if it began in Cambodia.

First up are the Sihanoukville Cambodgiens. Instead of the NHL starting with the Montreal Canadiens, the league began with a few teams including one from Sihanoukville. The name comes from the French word for Cambodians. The logo is the letter C with Angkor Wat. Since their look is so classic, it will be the only one that is as close to the original.

cambodgiens.png

Up next is my version of the Maple Leafs. Like Toronto, the Siem Reap Palm Leafs are a team with a lot of tradition including the use of the improper plural for leaf, and the national tree for their respective nations.

palmleafs.png

Up next is my version of the Blackhawks. Like the Blackhawks, the Battambang Jayavarmans are named after a great leader of the native people of the area. The logo is based on the Blackhawks logo and famous Jayavarman VII statue.

jayavarmans.png

These are great! The only complaint I have is that the Palm Leafs logo has too many contours to the actual leaf itself. If it were sized down significantly, you'd lose a lot of detail in the palm leaf and it would end up looking like a circle or something. But that's all I have as far as criticism goes, the concepts themselves are great. I have to say the Pumas one is my favorite.

I can't wait to see the rest of the series!

EDIT: Just saw you posted the Jayavarmans! Great work here! I love the colors and the logo is an excellent adaptation of the Blackhawks logo.

These are ingenious. I would drop the English text out of all the logos, though, it's taking away from the realism, particularly since Cambodia doesn't really have its history intertwined with Anglophone countries (though it does with French, so ingenious branding with the Cambogdiens). And yes, fewer palm "leafs".

rATMcmK.png

Archived