Things that work in one sport, that wouldn't in another

johnnysama

Chewing tobacco in hockey...

You'd be surprised. It's actually quite prevalent.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you figure? Just out of curiosity.

I'm in my third year of working in junior hockey, and I know at least 10 active players (just from our team) who chew. It's not uncommon to see them leaving after practice or a game with a plastic water bottle half-full with spit.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

How about big logos taking up the whole jersey in baseball? That would be strange (and impossible w/a button up jersey).

tatc-feat.jpg

I liked these when I first saw them as a one off thing. Kinda like those 96 hockey alternates that were so bad but amusing to look at for the novelty of seeing something different.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I'm in my third year of working in junior hockey, and I know at least 10 active players (just from our team) who chew. It's not uncommon to see them leaving after practice or a game with a plastic water bottle half-full with spit.

My very anecdotal observation is that it is at least as prevalent in hockey as baseball. In high school, I had a friend on a hockey team. 20 people, and he was the only one that did not chew/dip. Again, very anecdotal.

I think the reason it appears more prevalent in baseball is because they actually use it on the field. In hockey or football, I think dehydration may set in. Particularly in hockey...you'll see a football player on the sideline with a dip in from time to time. In basketball, hilarity would ensue with people slipping on the floor.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My very anecdotal observation is that it is at least as prevalent in hockey as baseball. In high school, I had a friend on a hockey team. 20 people, and he was the only one that did not chew/dip. Again, very anecdotal.

I think the reason it appears more prevalent in baseball is because they actually use it on the field. In hockey or football, I think dehydration may set in. Particularly in hockey...you'll see a football player on the sideline with a dip in from time to time. In basketball, hilarity would ensue with people slipping on the floor.

In hockey it's as simple as one thing. Mouthguards. You can't have a dip and a mouthguard in at the same time.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm a little (actually, quite) surprised that it's so prevalent in hockey. Dip/chew is (at least, to me) a stereotypically Southern thing but I know it's rather prevalent in Montana/Wyoming as well... so maybe more of a rural thing than a Southern thing, but I digress. I just wouldn't figure it to be as big in hockey.

More anecdotal evidence - I coached HS baseball for 2 years. 2 of 4 coaches and about half of our dozen or so players dipped. I was really surprised about how nonchalant it was... the coaches never said anything about it. Yadda yadda baseball culture I guess, but this was in rural South Carolina, so...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived