infrared41's Who am I? Super Bowl Trivia for the old school crowd.

infrared41

The poor man's spin-off of Tank's Super Bowl trivia is back for another off Broadway run. Let's do a quick setup for the new folk.

Since this is "old school" trivia, the most of the players will be from the 60's thru the 90's - note that it says "most players." Occasionally, I might throw in someone who played in the early 2000's. All players will have played in at least one Super Bowl. The easier the player, the tougher the clues and vice versa.

EDIT: I'm not going to clog up SIG with multiple threads on this so if you enjoy playing "Who Am I", just check this thread regularly.

Let's play our game.

1. I played with 3 Super Bowl winning Hall of Fame QBs.

2. I attended the same college as one of those 3 QBs.

3. When it comes to broken legs, Joe Theisman and I have two things in common.

4. I set a team record in 2000.

5. A teammate and I were the second players to accomplish something.

6. I have 3 Super Bowl rings.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thought was Bryant Young but that's not right. He did play at Notre Dame (like Montana) and suffered a grotesque broken leg on MNF like Theismann but doesn't fit all the requirements. I suspect it's one of his teammates. Charles Haley won 5 rings so it's not him.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

My first thought was Bryant Young but that's not right. He did play at Notre Dame (like Montana) and suffered a grotesque broken leg on MNF like Theismann but doesn't fit all the requirements. I suspect it's one of his teammates. Charles Haley won 5 rings so it's not him.

Hint: That's definitely on the right track.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm having a hard time with other guesses right now, so I'll just throw out Shannon Sharpe before anyone else and edit this if a better guess comes along.

But seeing as how I don't seem to remember Shannon Sharpe suffering a grotesque broken leg, that's probably not it.

Garrison Hearst is the best guess I can think of.

spacer.png

Ed McCaffrey?

We have a winner - and a mistake. For some reason, I thought Phil Simms was in the HOF. Sorry about that

1. McCaffrey played with SB winning QBs Steve Young - 49ers, John Elway - Broncos, and Phil Simms - Giants. Elway and Young are in the HOF. Simms is not.

2. McCaffery and Elway are both Stanford alumni.

3. In 2000, McCaffery suffered a compound leg fracture. Like Theisman, it happened on MNF against the Giants.

4. McCaffery set the Broncos season receptions record with 101 in 2000.

5. In 2000, McCaffery and Rod Smith were the second receiving teammates to both catch over 100 passes in the same season.

6. McCaffery has SB rings with the '94 49ers and the '97-'98 Broncos.

51061950.jpgDenver%20Broncos%20%201997%20Super%20Bowdenver-broncos-1998-super-bowl-ring.jpg

EdMcCaffreySuperBowl.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Ed McCaffrey?

3. In 2000, McCaffery suffered a compound leg fracture. Like Theisman, it happened on MNF against the Giants.

Actually, that game was played in 2001. On September 10, 2001 the night before...well you know.

You have no idea how much I wanted to go into my character and do the "Kramer annoys infrared by correcting him on a detail that was obviously just a typo" thing, but, well, each time I typed it up, I couldn't make the wording work.

Alas.

Nope. Not a typo. I blew it. Read it as 2001, thought it as 2001, typed it as 2000. Oh well. It's not the first time nor will it be the last. And feel free to make those corrections. I'm disappointed when you don't.

Unfortunately, my memory doesn't extend to what year a MNF game took place. I'm better with the 60's thru the 80's. Plus, I'm old so :censored: off. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Player #2

1. I am a 3rd round draft pick who led my team in a statistical category for four straight seasons.

2. I set a Super Bowl record - since eclipsed.

3. The last stat I put up with my original team was during a MNF game. That game would win an ESPY for one of my famous (or infamous depending on your perspective) teammates.

4. I've been known to occasionally hang out with Skip Bayless on First Take.

5. A fairly well known play (or disaster depending on your perspective) took place in the last playoff game I played with my original team. That play helped send a team to the Super Bowl for the first time in quite a while.

6. I have one Super Bowl Ring.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

I was *this* close to saying "Darren Sharper", but it turns out he was drafted in round 2. I also could be wrong about the MNF game you are talking about.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

And I'll resort to a guess I have minimal confidence in...Antonio Freeman.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

And I'll resort to a guess I have minimal confidence in...Antonio Freeman.

Minimal confidence paid off. Antonio Freeman is who we are looking for. And we have another mistake. I was thinking 4th and 26 happened in the 2004 playoffs. It was 2003 and the Eagles didn't make the Super Bowl until 2004.

1. Freeman was drafted by the Packers in round three. He led the team in receiving from 1996 thru 1999. Wikipedia didn't stipulate if he led the team in yards or catches, just "receiving."

2. Freeman caught an 81 yd TD pass from Brett Favre in Super Bowl XXXI - which at the time was a Super Bowl record.

3. Freeman's last catch with the Packers was in the MNF game against the Raiders. That was the game that was one day after Brett Favre's father had died. Favre's performance in that game won him an ESPY.

4. Freeman is an occasional analyst on First Take.

5. Freeman's last game with the Packers was against the Eagles in the 2003 playoffs - the "4th and 26" game. My faulty memory had me thinking that game took place in the 2004 playoffs. It was in 2003. The Eagles made the Super Bowl in 2004.

6. Freeman got a Super Bowl ring with the 1996 Packers.

green-bay-packers-1996-super-bowl-ring.j

free126.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Archived