Potential Major League Soccer Expansion Markets

Muggens

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. (You may not be aware of this, but Milwaukeeans don't respect Chicago much either, and their NFL team regularly kicks the crap out of Chicago's.)

But culturally, Seattle is a major American city. It has more corporate headquarters and has its own signature food. Well, drink. It has been the center of a significant musical movement, as Chicago was with the blues. It's larger, if you like that sort of thing. Seattle, as Chicago, is a common setting in films or television, while Portland & Milwaukee have their rarer cinematic tributes (Portland has Portlandia, Milwaukee its Happy Days). Seattle and Chicago are the commercial, cultural and population centers for entire regions. Portland and Milwaukee are very nice cities, lovely to live in, more manageable maybe. But not regional capitals.

No value judgements at all - I like Portland very much. I've lived in both cities, and found the vibe very similar.

I'm not sure Milwaukee and Chicago still see each other as rivals the way they used to, at least outside of sports. In fact, I'd probably argue that they're moving more towards a Dallas-Ft. Worth type of relationship.

Either way, if Seattle is the Western version of any Midwestern city, it's Minneapolis.

-History as outpost port cities on a major body of water.

-Across the water from a smaller "twin" city (St. Paul/Tacoma)

-Reputation for passive aggression

-Relatively isolated (no civilization for 1,000 miles in one direction)

-Home of their state's flagship university.

-Tech industry

-Hip hop scene full of white people who make hip hop consumed mostly by white people who hate hip hop (Atmosphere/Macklemore/etc.)

Seattle rules, Portland drools.

Remember when the Rochester Rhinos were a legitimate MLS expansion candidate? If ever there was a textbook case of "you snooze, you lose," it's Rochester and the construction of a soccer-specific stadium. They finally built one, but at least three years after it could have made a difference.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Garber's most recent Q&A and expansion talk...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/04/growth-quality-major-theme-qa-session-mls-commissioner-don-garber

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/20/mls-commissioner-don-garber-gives-update-leagues-expansion-plans

Garber specifically mentioned Atlanta, Minneapolis, Sacramento, San Antonio, and San Diego...mostly sounded positive about Minneapolis and mentioned desire for more Midwest teams.

My guess is teams 23 & 24 will be Atlanta (Garber optimism seems ho hum, but I think they'll get it done) and either Minneapolis or a Midwest squad.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Portland has Portlandia, Milwaukee its Happy Days

No love for Hello, Larry and A Whole New Ballgame? What do McLean Stevenson and Corbin Bernsen have to do to get some love around here?

:P

No, no, no... THIS is the best sitcom to ever take place in the Greater Milwaukee Area :D

Cast-of-That-70-s-Show-that-70-27s-show-

I know Point Place suffered from a bit of Where The Hell Is Springfield, but most references had it near Kenosha. There's nothing near Kenosha on the Wisconsin side of the border that isn't Milwaukee or one of its suburbs/exurbs.

Here's an idea: Move the Rams to LA, demolish the Edward Jones Dome and build a soccer stadium in it's place

So come up with an idea to pay off the Dome's $80+ million in bonds owed by the state, city and county. The same entities who will have to pay for a soccer specific stadium.

Archived