Potential Major League Soccer Expansion Markets

Muggens

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought MLS was to cap it at 24 clubs. Atlanta & San Antonio as 23 & 24.

San Antoino?? I still think St. Louis would be next with Atlanta. wasn't STL a finalist when Philly got was chosen correct?

STL still has stadium location issues as well as ownership.

From December 2013:

A map displayed during Garber’s talk had arrows pointing to St. Louis, Minneapolis and San Antonio as potential expansion sites, though Garber later said he hadn’t seen the map before and would have to talk to the mapmaker. He later added Austin, Texas, to the mix as an expansion possibility.

If the league’s southeastern expansion is successful, Garber said that would leave the Midwest, where the league has just Chicago and Kansas City, as the area in need of teams. But there is no current effort to bring a team to St. Louis and, Garber said, MLS hasn’t “even begun to look deeply in any of those markets.”

Garber did acknowledge the large crowds that the recent matches have drawn in St. Louis. “St. Louis could be another great market,” he said.

This maps came from Don Garber's 2013 State of League address and it shows where MLS wants to expand in the near future.

expansion.png

After Miami the 3/4 places listed on here are NASL cities which should worry the people in the NASL.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

This maps came from Don Garber's 2013 State of League address and it shows where MLS wants to expand in the near future.

expansion.png

After Miami the 3/4 places listed on here are NASL cities which should worry the people in the NASL.

Seem to recall reading that Garber played dumb about the source of that map when questioned after giving his state of the league address. Said something about how "he'd have to talk to the map maker," or something to that effect.

expansion.png

I feel bad for Houston. After all these talks of new franchises settle down, they will have been moved from East to West, then back, then back again, in a perpetual cycle of conference relocation madness.

expansion.png

I feel bad for Houston. After all these talks of new franchises settle down, they will have been moved from East to West, then back, then back again, in a perpetual cycle of conference relocation madness.

I wouldn't. Regardless of conference they still manage to make the MLS cup, not just the playoffs, on a consistent basis (4 times in 7 years).

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• 3 weeks later...

St. Louis is looking likely to start a USL-Pro team. Probably in time for the 2015 season. Not sure where they would play. I believe they're hoping to affiliate with an MLS team, perhaps KC. The money behind it will be well known soccer supporters, but not the sort that could own an MLS team.

The hope, I believe, is for it to evolve and reach a level of support that they could eventually move up to the MLS (or entice a deep pocketed owner to buy a separate expansion franchise). That seems reasonable (though I wouldn't call it likely), but the issue is obviously whether there will be any room left in the league at that point. I struggle to see it happening in time for one of the remaining spots to go their way, and I'm not sure if or when the MLS would grow beyond that number.

Sporting is already affiliated with OKC Energy and I wouldn't expect that to change with Jimmy Nielsen at the helm down there.

If you believe that Atlanta's going to be club #23, you're probably up against Minneapolis right now for that final spot who seems to have the inside track on the field towards being #24.

6fQjS3M.png

There was talks of VSI Tampa Bay building a stadium in downtown Tampa to attract an MLS team. Haven't heard anything about it since. In 2013, there was not 1 MLS team. By 2018, we may be looking at 3. IMutiny didn't last here because of the outrageous contract the Bucs and Mutiny had when they were here, as long as that happens, I could see Tampa Bay being able to support a MLS team as well. Going from 2 teams, to 0 teams, to 3 in 20 years? Awesome.

I really don't know how attractive Tampa Bay is to MLS. The area has real issues supporting the major-league teams it already has.

That and I can't see Tampa existing with Orlando an hour away.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

There was talks of VSI Tampa Bay building a stadium in downtown Tampa to attract an MLS team.

Yeah, that worked so well that VSI-TB has folded.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This is how I think expansion should go

WEST

RSL

POR

VAN

SEA

COL

SKC

HOU

Minnesota

DAL

San Antonio

CHV

LA

SJ

St. Louis

EAST

NYRB

NYFC

ORL

NE

MON

CHI

PHI

CMB

TOR

DCU

Miami

Atlanta

Puerto Rico

Nashville

I'd say put Detroit/Charlotte in place of Puerto Rico and its good

I really don't know how attractive Tampa Bay is to MLS. The area has real issues supporting the major-league teams it already has.

So does Miami to an extent. But I guess Beckham overrides that.

To be fair, the Dolphins and Marlins plain suck right now and hockey isn't meant for Florida at all.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived