Potential Major League Soccer Expansion Markets

Muggens

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope the next expansion club announced by the MLS is St Louis.

No, let's hope that the next expansion club goes to a city that will support it. We haven't seen that yet from St. Louis, especially since they seem about to lose their NFL team.

And losing the Rams wouldn't even necessarily help a potential MLS squad, since their season would conflict directly with the Cardinals, making it hard to compete for either ticket buyers or corporate dollars.

Let's hope the next expansion club announced by the MLS is St Louis. I think they deserve a club with St Louis being the center of NCAA soccer and the NCSAA. As for the league quantity, here's hoping it doesn't follow other American leagues with 30 clubs. I believe it would water down the league, especially in the eyes of world football. If the Don wants MLS to be a top 5 football league in the world, then having a 30 club two divisions, no promotion/relegation is not the way to go.

Ummm.....

Saint Louis hasn't won a college cup since 1973 or appeared in one since 1974. The city has only hosted one college cup since 1974, and that was in 2006. The NSCAA is headquartered in Kansas City on the other side of the state.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Let's hope the next expansion club announced by the MLS is St Louis.

No, let's hope that the next expansion club goes to a city that will support it. We haven't seen that yet from St. Louis, especially since they seem about to lose their NFL team.

And losing the Rams wouldn't even necessarily help a potential MLS squad, since their season would conflict directly with the Cardinals, making it hard to compete for either ticket buyers or corporate dollars.

I agree with Gothamite on this one. The MLS should look at places that may not have a professional team first.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

The Wave get support in Milwaukee, so it'd be nice to see an MLS team there. Won't happen though.

I think it would be an amazing soccer market - not only do they have the oldest continuous pro soccer team in the country, but there is a tremendous youth and amateur culture (with amateur clubs going back to the 1920s). But perhaps the MLS price is too high and they should be looking at the NASL.

I have this fantasy that should Atlanta get an MLS club Milwaukee should buy the Silverbacks - the name would have just as much resonance in Southeastern Wisconsin.

There is at least one group dedicated to seeing pro (outdoor) soccer return to Milwaukee, but pretty much everyone agrees that the NASL or USL is more realistic at this time.

I don't understand why so many have Atlanta as a foregone conclusion as to being #23. Minnesota is now becoming more attractive and so are San Antonio and Austin.

Well, Atlanta has a superior metro population to the others, and is growing at a pretty rapid pace, something Minneapolis can't vouch for. It also has decent experience with soccer with the Silverbacks.

Also, do you believe SA AND Austin should get a team before Atlanta?

As said before, #23 and presumably 24 should go to the market that deserves it the most, that's what I'm confident Garber will do, Atlanta is not a "foregone conclusion" at this point, it is a "frontrunner" to me. These things can change with time, the MLS has done a solid job placing franchises so far, I'm pretty confident they won't get carried away.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I'd love for there to be an NASL team in Milwaukee again... so we can hate them. :D

I'd thnk they'd welcome that. Love your new avatar, by the way.

Atlanta has had great problems supporting its teams. It's only a frontrunner at the moment because Arthur Blank wants a team to share his planned NFL stadium. Absent that, I'm not sure they'd be getting any more a look than St. Louis is.

I don't understand why so many have Atlanta as a foregone conclusion as to being #23. Minnesota is now becoming more attractive and so are San Antonio and Austin.

Somebody tell me why Minnesota is attractive, only 3,000 people on average show up to every game and they could hold about 77,000 more in the (now demolished) Metrodome.

npo_logo.png

I don't see Austin getting an expansion club. They just stepped up from USL PDL to USL PRO with only 5,000 people showing up for the PDL Final last year in Austin. They only averaged 1500 per match. The Victoria Highlanders FC averaged over 2000 last year alone.

Well, Atlanta has a superior metro population to the others, and is growing at a pretty rapid pace, something Minneapolis can't vouch for. It also has decent experience with soccer with the Silverbacks.

Also, do you believe SA AND Austin should get a team before Atlanta?

As said before, #23 and presumably 24 should go to the market that deserves it the most, that's what I'm confident Garber will do, Atlanta is not a "foregone conclusion" at this point, it is a "frontrunner" to me. These things can change with time, the MLS has done a solid job placing franchises so far, I'm pretty confident they won't get carried away.

The Atlanta market won't be with the Silverbacks, but with Arthur Blank and the Falcons' new dome. The city doesn't have a good track record with professional sports, losing the Thrashers, the Hawks not drawing all that well, the Braves, despite having great records, were not one of the top home draws.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Somebody tell me why Minnesota is attractive, only 3,000 people on average show up to every game and they could hold about 77,000 more in the (now demolished) Metrodome.

The Metrodome never held 80,000[1]. Also, that was never the full-time home of any Minnesota pro soccer team. Also, the average attendance for MNU was 4,445 last year[2], up from previous years. Oh, and MNU is now owned by a billionaire, as of last year.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I don't see Austin getting an expansion club. They just stepped up from USL PDL to USL PRO with only 5,000 people showing up for the PDL Final last year in Austin. They only averaged 1500 per match. The Victoria Highlanders FC averaged over 2000 last year alone.

I'm guessing that the USL-PRO feels kind of bad for how the owners of Orlando City basically pulled an Thunder on Austin and bolted out of there.

The last time Austin was at the D2 level they were averaging in the 3,000 range which would put them in the above average category in the modern USL-PRO.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Time will tell how Austin will fair in D2 but I don't see D1 in the near future. They would have to start pulling in large gate numbers starting this season to justify an expansion club. But with FC Dallas, Houston and possibly with San Antonio joining the near future, football supporters are going to be hard to come by with the original pool being spread thin.

I'd love for there to be an NASL team in Milwaukee again... so we can hate them. :D

About that... what's all this "Seattle is the Milwaukee of the West" business I've been hearing about?

:D

Archived