The Alternate Soccer Universe: Ligue Première De Football -- Corsaires (January 22)

MDGP

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, thanks for the comments, guys! I really appreciate them!

In regards to TheBigCahuna's comment, I actually started thinking the exact same thing about halfway through the concept. I think PSG would look pretty good in that design.

And now I'd like to present the American Soccer Federation's 20th and final team,

FortVancouverUSAcrest_zps625b6d1b.png

Fort Vancouver U.S.A. Was founded in 1962, leading to a large influx of teams on the west coast in the following years. Originally the team was slated to play in Seattle, but at the last minute, the city council of Vancouver, Washington made the offer to the new owners to pay for the new stadium in its entirety. With a new home established, the team needed a name, in order to avoid confusion with Vancouver, Canada, and to harken back to the city's foundation as a trading post and military base, the team was named Fort Vancouver U.S.A.

Despite the team's relative lack of championship success, it remains one of the most popular teams in the league, capitalizing on both the Portland and Seattle markets being close by.

CREST

Vancouver's crest consists mainly of a pine tree designed in a modern style, using chevrons to make the basic design of the tree. This, like the name, harkens back to the military history of the city. Above the tree is a sublimated chevron, representing a distant Mount Rainier, which was named by explorer and city namesake, George Vancouver.

FortVancouverNPUniforms_zpsf7d8e48f.png

UNIFORMS

Vancouver is the league's only team to be outfitted by Under Armour, which shocked many in the uniform industry, due to the team's close proximity to Nike. The kits themselves are based heavily upon the crest design. The jersey sponsor is Starbucks.

The primary uniform is sky blue featuring a single chevron upon the chest. The clash is green and features three sublimated chevrons. Both kits feature brown shorts and socks the match the main shirt color.

FortVancouverUSAThird_zpsedeb8efc.png

The clash uniforms are all white and feature three stripes on the torso, one of each color. This design is not classified as a throwback, but does allude back to some of the team's earlier uniform designs.

----------------------------

Well there ya go, the 20 teams of the American Soccer Federation have been finished. However, that does not mean the series itself is over. I have a few more things coming in the next few days, and it's more than possible that Europe might see a few leagues.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Once again, thanks for the comments, guys! I really appreciate them!

In regards to TheBigCahuna's comment, I actually started thinking the exact same thing about halfway through the concept. I think PSG would look pretty good in that design.

And now I'd like to present the American Soccer Federation's 20th and final team,FortVancouverUSAcrest_zps625b6d1b.png

Fort Vancouver U.S.A. Was founded in 1962, leading to a large influx of teams on the west coast in the following years. Originally the team was slated to play in Seattle, but at the last minute, the city council of Vancouver, Washington made the offer to the new owners to pay for the new stadium in its entirety. With a new home established, the team needed a name, in order to avoid confusion with Vancouver, Canada, and to harken back to the city's foundation as a trading post and military base, the team was named Fort Vancouver U.S.A.

Despite the team's relative lack of championship success, it remains one of the most popular teams in the league, capitalizing on both the Portland and Seattle markets being close by.

CREST

Vancouver's crest consists mainly of a pine tree designed in a modern style, using chevrons to make the basic design of the tree. This, like the name, harkens back to the military history of the city. Above the tree is a sublimated chevron, representing a distant Mount Rainier, which was named by explorer and city namesake, George Vancouver.FortVancouverNPUniforms_zpsf7d8e48f.png

UNIFORMS

Vancouver is the league's only team to be outfitted by Under Armour, which shocked many in the uniform industry, due to the team's close proximity to Nike. The kits themselves are based heavily upon the crest design. The jersey sponsor is Starbucks.

The primary uniform is sky blue featuring a single chevron upon the chest. The clash is green and features three sublimated chevrons. Both kits feature brown shorts and socks the match the main shirt color.FortVancouverUSAThird_zpsedeb8efc.png

The clash uniforms are all white and feature three stripes on the torso, one of each color. This design is not classified as a throwback, but does allude back to some of the team's earlier uniform designs.

----------------------------

Well there ya go, the 20 teams of the American Soccer Federation have been finished. However, that does not mean the series itself is over. I have a few more things coming in the next few days, and it's more than possible that Europe might see a few leagues.

Well,I'm sad that that this is over,but I'm also sad that my requested did not come true. But nice job!

I like Vancouver's color scheme a lot. It has a very northwest vibe. The kits are really nice as well. I'm not a huge fan of the crest, as it looks to me like it was designed in the 60s or 70s, but I think that could work here within the alternate universe. I do like the multiple meanings of the chevrons, though.

Once again, thank you to those of you who commented. In regards to mbannon, I see what you mean about the 60's/70's vibe around the crest (particularly the tree). Unfortunately, I'm starting up law school in a couple weeks, so I really don't have any time to work on concepts... Hopefully I'll be able to revisit the crest in a few months.

With that being said, the series itself isn't done, just this portion. I plan to create similar league versions in different countries, with England being the next league, and then going to other European countries and possibly a second American tier, though, like I said, those won't happen for awhile.

I've got a few more things involving the ASF coming in the next couple of days as sort of bonuses. Today we've got the US Men's National Team identity.

-------------------------------------

USSoccerFederation_zps0c3dca0a.png

The US Soccer Federation crest is a sort of amalgamation of the ASF league logo, and the current US Soccer crest. The ball and stripes are nearly the same as the ASF logo, but are tilted to be traveling in a similar direction as the current ball. Another big feature of this crest is the asymmetry, particularly in regards to the ball. My explanation for that is simply that I like the way untraditional crests look on many occasions (as long as they aren't too out there). The reason behind the out-there take on the crest is because US Soccer doesn't have that long of a prominent history, and I felt that if any American national team could get away with something that wasn't traditional, it was this team.

USMNTUniform_zps5ce883ad.png

The uniforms are a bit more traditional, though each has modern elements implemented. Both kits are heavily inspired by the US team's 2012 kits. I've always felt that set was the closest thing to a strong and unique identity that our squad has worn.

The primaries are basically the Waldo kits, featuring 7 red stripes and 6 white stripes on the shirt with navy blue accents. On the uniforms, Nike added a new element, devising a sash that runs from the collar to sleeve, running behind the crest. This is made up up small, sublimated lines, creating a ghost sash effect from a distance.

The clash uniforms are also based around the 2012 clash kits, but remove some of the goofier elements (particularly the white sleeves). The shirt features four sublimated stripes that are made up of smaller stripes, creating a similar effect that the sash does on the primary uniform. The thicker, less numerous stripes are meant to give the clash its own identity, rather than just being a copy of the primary uniform. The jerset also features red/white accents on the collar and the socks, adding a small but noticeable amount of color to the set. Finally, the socks are blue... Initially they were going to be red, but it ended up looking like a France knockoff, so blue made a return with the red and white accents.

-------------------------------------

I've got one more league element coming up in the net few days (similar to something Raysox has done in the past) that I think you guys will like.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

For a set that doesn't involve sash kits (I'm starting to realize I really don't like hoop kits... especially not in international play), I really like this. Your crest is clever too... it keeps what's distinctive about the current badge, but does so in a much classier way.

I do prefer when designers make smaller series' and take there time to offer great materialrather than just posting for the sake of finishing it.

Your material is consistent and well thought through. I will be here waiting for your school to finish to see what material you come up with in that time :) I know I gather up a lot of ideas when I take breaks so the series somewhat ending may be a good thing.

Now to comment on the US kits, can't go wrong with the hoops, its the only look that indeniably screams USA without the need of any logos. Would have prefered to see continuous hoops onthe back, but I know its hard to do with white/colour hoops. I usually just use a white font with the other colour as an outline. Its always bugged me when hoops just stop, but thats a personal problem haha

I like the overall look to the USMNT. The kits both look really good, and I like the direction of the new crest. Two things are bugging me about the crest, though. One, I'm not a fan of the shape of the shield...it just looks funny to me. I would make the bottom more triangular, like the Centennial crest. And if the bottom is a 45 degree angle, it could line up well with the stripes and "USSF." Two, because of the way you have the ball rotated (up and to the right at 45 degrees), when looking at the crest it's slightly rotated clockwise. I noticed it pretty quick and now I can't unsee it!

• 2 months later...

Well, I guess I'm not actually done with this yet.

As those of you who know the league's history, Cuyahoga is famous for it's fight song, "The Sun Shines on Cuyahoga," which quickly became synonymous with excellence. Penned by William Haverford during the 1948 season, the song is relatively simple, attempting to emulate the great fight songs of college football (like Notre Dame and Michigan). The song was an instant hit, and has been sung after each goal since 1948.

A couple of things:

1. This has been an amazing series.

2. These kits and templates are beautiful

3. Did you use GarageBand to make the fight song?

1. Thank you very much, good sir.

2. Once again, thank you... Though I can't take credit for the template... Got it here a few years ago (can't remember who made it though).

3. I used a combination. I wrote the actual song with my piano, then used Finale Note Pro (I believe that's the name) to put the song on my computer, then I did a little editing with GarageBand. There was supposed to be a drum track too, but apparently GarageBand doesn't allow that without paying extra fees, which was disappointing. I am hoping to get more songs done in the future, ideally one for each team, and hopefully as I get better, they'll get more intricate.

A couple of things:

1. Thank you, very much, good sir.

2. Once again, thank you... Though I can't take credit for the template... Got it here a few years ago (can't remember who made it though).

3. I used a combination. I wrote the actual song with my piano, then used Finals Note Pro (I believe that's the name) to put the song on my computer, then I did a little editing with GarageBand. There was supposed to be a drum track too, but apparently GarageBand doesn't allow that without paying extra fees, which was disappointing. I am hoping to get more songs done in the future, ideally one for each team, and hopefully as I get better, they'll get more intricate.

I've been thinking about starting a series, sooner rather than later. And one of the things I wish to include is goal horns/songs, however it will be easier for me to obtain the necessary stuff because my father works at Apple. I think it would be cool if you manage to do promotion/relegation leagues, like in Europe, if you have the time set aside from law school. On another note, good luck in law school!

That's what- She

A couple of things:

1. Thank you, very much, good sir.

3. I used a combination. I wrote the actual song with my piano, then used Finals Note Pro (I believe that's the name) to put the song on my computer, then I did a little editing with GarageBand. There was supposed to be a drum track too, but apparently GarageBand doesn't allow that without paying extra fees, which was disappointing. I am hoping to get more songs done in the future, ideally one for each team, and hopefully as I get better, they'll get more intricate.

I've been thinking about starting a series, sooner rather than later. And one of the things I wish to include is goal horns/songs, however it will be easier for me to obtain the necessary stuff because my father works at Apple. I think it would be cool if you manage to do promotion/relegation leagues, like in Europe, if you have the time set aside from law school. On another note, good luck in law school!

I'd definitely suggest taking advantage of using Apple's more powerful stuff. Garageband has a lot of issues that Logic Pro X or even other software like Ableton (which I really like) don't have.

In regards to pro/rel, I've gotten a little bored with looking up American histories, so I've actually been thinking about doing top tier teams from around the world as though the Premiership, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Lige and/or Serie A didn't exist. It'll just keep things more interesting for me on the historical end.

Also, thank you for the kind words involving law school!

-------------------------------------------------

I've actually also got a bit of an update to the league. I've been wanting to do team merchandise for a little while now, and ultimately wanted to bring the league into the real world. Well, I finally got that chance!

Photoon10-14-14at1027PM2_zps14e744a0.jpg

Pictured above is (an extremely exhausted) me wearing a Tampa Bay SC jersey that I ordered using Red Bubble. The logo's a bit bit, but all in all, I'm very satisfied with it. If anyone is interested, I plan to make shirts for the other teams as well, and make them available for purchase through Red Bubble. You'd get to have all the fun of trying to explain who the hell the team and maybe even get called out by one of your professors in the middle of class!

Either way, figured I'd throw this out there as an update to the league. I definitely plan to have more songs and merchandise (mostly virtual) in the future, and maybe even some other stuff (team flags, etc).

-----------------------------------------------------

Definitely let me know what you guys think of this, and I'd love to hear some future ideas as well.

Excellent! Glad to hear you like it! Here's the link to the page with the t-shirts for different teams (the colors look a bit wonky in the presentation, but are correct in the final product).

Right now there are only two teams up, but I plan to add the rest by tomorrow.

Archived