SND - ISHD Rebranding | Rams, Highlander, Panther, Rogues - ISHD ADDED

DanOtis

Hi everybody.

This is a Rebranding project I did for Düsseldorf from the ISHD. ISHD is the German Inline-Skaterhockey Association. There are about 250 clubs with about 6.000 active players in several leagues. There have been Championships since 1986 so some teams already have quite a tradition.

As I completed designing a logo for my hometown team that I also used to play for (Highlander Lüdenscheid) I liked the designing process very much and thought about the logos of the other teams of the league an decided to work on a new logo for one of the most traditional clubs - the Düsseldorf Rams - as I thought that especially the color scheme was outdated. After creating a new logo I proposed it to the club but as expected it got turned down. As I don't want it to get lost on my desktop I thought I would share it with you guys to hear and learn from other Logo addicts.

So here we go (hope that I get it done with the pictures):

Rams-Proposal_zps8908bd88.jpg

Rams-Primary_Logo_zpsa0339951.jpg

Rams-Secondary_Logo_zpsaf37524e.jpg

So - what do you think?

All the best wishes

Daniel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank u guys. I'm glad u like it.

But I would also like to know what you don't like and which things should be improved.

So far - here are the uniforms I thought of - as concepts and when used in game (Thanks JVR for modeling):

Rams-Home_Jersey_zps27947382.jpg

Rams-Home_IN-GAME_zpsffa7d5f9.jpg

Rams-Away_Jersey_zps7767cc87.jpg

Rams-Away_IN-GAME_zps39010390.jpg

And here are some shirts I thought of plus another view of the primary logo:

Rams-Shirts_zps377c9aac.jpg

Logo_Presentation_Duesseldorf_Rams_zps34

All the best wishes

Daniel

To complete this I thought that I show the evolutionary process of the logo:

Logo_Evolution01_zpsa24fe193.jpg

Logo_Evolution02_zps0b207a9d.jpg

1 - Using a painting I found on the web to discover and retrace the shape of the skull, eye area and horns in the respective perspective.

2 - Finding a photo with a pose I thought that would bring some energy and fighting aspect. My sketch already has evil eyes ;o)

3 - Vectorizing the sketch and already implementing the colors I had in mind.

4 - Refining the horns in the white area.

5 - Changing the angle - a bit losing the attacking motion but bringing in some balance and suggesting the position of the back - making the ram look like turning his head to his right facing an enemy. This step was definitely the most important one. Also bringing in some shadows and the pupil.

6 - Removing the "rabies" red eyes.

7 - Refining the horns in the red area and the appearance of the bottom right edge.

8 - Making slight changes to the eye, "facial shadows", horn shadows and red shape on the chest.

Alright then I finish with a photo of the T-Shirts I had printed for the proposal. As the club rejected the logo at least I got some nice shirts ;o) (The shirts spot the logo that was stage 7. I made the last changes just right before posting the concept here as the facial shadow and the left horn was still bugging me on the shirt print.)

Shirts_zps41edab51.jpg

All the best wishes.

Daniel

Wait...they rejected it....as in.....they didn't want it....I'm sorry, but do they have eyes? Regardless, like you said you have nice shirts now. Those are very purdy. Love the presentation and your timeline that you showed, even that is a nice way to teach some people on this site!

Wow! Everthing your did was amazing. Even taking a RWB jersey and still making it NOT look like any current team just blows my mind really.
I like seeing the evolution behind the logo, it will help me when I design logos for sure.

As for them not accepting it, that's pretty ridiculous. I'm nervous to see which logo they actually chose because I can't see any Ram logo being better than yours.

Hey guys - thank you very much for your nice words.

Well, actually they didn't choose any other logo ahead of mine - they just sticked to their current one. As you can imagine it's not easy to approach a club with a new concept - as at first you have to find the right person to talk to. Then you have to find the right words as you don't want to offend anyone. Especially in amateur sports when people are very bonded with the club and proud of what they achieved and especially when there is an intern who does the design. You also have to find the right time to present your work - if you managed to climb the hurdles that I mentioned before.

In this case their public relation manager is a guy that I played with in another club some time ago - so the right person was easily to be found. I also think that I used the right words - as he was interested. So he talked to the management and that's when it did come to an end. I didn't really got to know the exact reason but I suppose that it is the traditional aspect of it - as well as the fear of cost when it comes to changing jerseys, banners and so on. So I don't blame anyone nor am I angry or anything. As I really wouldn't have any reason for it.

So - you find me happy. Happy that the ram finally could see some light and happy that you have those kind words for it.

All the best wishes.

Daniel

As I mentioned in my first post - the Rams concept was something I did after having redesigned the Logo for the Highlander Lüdenscheid in 2012.

The Highlander Lüdenscheid are my hometown team. I played for them from 2000 to 2009. In addition to playing hockey for the team I was interested in creating websites and so I was asked to run theirs. This was in 2002 and it was the first time I came in touch with designing with a computer. As their original logo from 1997 was bugging me I created a new one in 2003 that was accepted by the club. I also started designing our jerseys. And the website of course also had some development. The club grew over the years. Implementing Junior-Teams as well as a 2nd and a 3rd team. So I was busy with jerseys and everything that had to do with the clubs outer appearance.

In 2012 - after the premier team had a very tough season - fighting against relegation (dropping out of the premier league) until the very last game but finally making it - the club called for a new logo in order to establish a new era, a new feel to put that season behind and start all over again. The task was to implement "the Highlander" as until then the Logo only featured a shield-like look. The Highlander had to be self-confident, trusting in is strength while awaiting the battle.

This is what I came up with:

Logo_Rebranding_zps22052f74.jpg

Logo_Set_zpsa69add69.jpg

The secondary logo has the "L61" (the club the Highlander are associated with) in it, is also carrying over the shield from the former logo and bringing in some elements from the city arms. The tertiary is just an H+L that I took from the Highlander wordmark.

Here is another view of the primary logo.

Logo_perspective_zps5f48ef69.jpg

Let me know what you think - C&C wanted.

All the best wishes

Daniel

These are professional grade logos you have here Daniel. From execution to presentation everything is top notch! You seem to be a natural at it! I was in a similar situation some years back, a local elementary my son was at have a logo that looks like one of the students drew it. I went ahead & created a logo from what they have & presented it to the principal (I offered to donate it to the school only asking for recognition in return). She liked it & said they'd get back to me, never heard from her after that. Figured they didn't want to scrap all their letterhead, merchandise, signs, etc. so even when it's free many schools are just not willing to make that change even if it's for the better. I'm sure there's a team or school out there who'd buy those from you in a heartbeat! Good luck to you & keep up the great work. Hope to see more from you soon.

Archived