MLB Retro Aspects That You Miss

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I know, but I meant during the 1950s-early 1990s (during the 1970s and 80s, as someone previously said, the division standings of the teams would be on the walls).

It wasn't division standings on the wall. Just the logos of all the teams, I believe in alphabetical order with the NL on one side and the AL on the other.

In regards to Mr. Redlegs, I find it a bit ironic that a team who had a no facial hair rule for years features its mascot with a mustache.

The Reds' ban on facial hair began in 1967, and Mr. Red lost his mustache before the start of the the 1968 season, when this logo debuted:

REDS_27_68_LOGO.png

By the time the current Mr. Red got his mustache back in 2007, the ban had been lifted for eight years. So, Mr. Red has always adhered to team policy. :D

By the way, the logo above is not shown on the Reds logo page at this site:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/56/Cincinnati_Reds/

It is different from the 1972-92 version in that he is wearing belted pants and no neck and sleeve striping, just as the Reds did prior to the change to pullovers in 1972. I may be wrong, but I think this was the primary Reds logo at that time, not the one shown on the page linked above.

Archived