sc49erfan15's "Who Am I?" - NASCAR/Daytona 500 Edition

sc49erfan15

Yep, you read that right - with Speedweeks beginning soon and the Sprint Unlimited in less than a week, we're switching gears from the Super Bowl to what's often referred as the "Super Bowl of Stock Car Racing" - the Daytona 500.

The "Who Am I?" game is the brainchild of none other than infrared41, who has given me his official endorsement® to run this contest. That's right, kiddos - officially licensed, accept no substitutes!

Much like infrared's NFL "Who Am I?", most (but not all) of the drivers will be from the "modern era" (c. 1970-present) of NASCAR. All drivers will have some special connection to Daytona. Most clues will involve Daytona, directly or indirectly. For the sake of simplicity, I will not differentiate between "Sprint/Nextel/Winston Cup," etc. Modern terminology such as "Sprint Cup" will be used to refer to NASCAR's top series, "Xfinity Series" the second-level series, and so forth, regardless of when the specific driver competed (e.g., "I won 200 Sprint Cup races" for Richard Petty).

Also, as it tends to be a general rule for infrared's NFL "Who Am I?" - the more well-known the driver, the tougher the clues, and vice-versa.

Let's play! Starting off with an easy one...

I. I am one of only eleven drivers who can say this.

II. Multiple members of my family have been involved in NASCAR.

III. My father tried to be a gentleman and apologize after one of my wins, but his apology was politely rejected.

IV. I have had more than one NASCAR business venture involving personalities that could've very easily been featured in infrared41's NFL "Who Am I?".

V. Upon winning at another track, I started a NASCAR tradition that continues to this day.

Who am I?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dale Jarrett?

It is Dale Jarrett.

I. DJ is one of eleven drivers who have won the Daytona 500 more than once - Jarrett won it three times (1993, 1996, and 2000).

II. The Jarretts are a quintessential racing family. Of course, there's two-time Sprint Cup Champion Ned (Dale's father), but also former driver and current pit reporter Glenn (Dale's brother), as well as Jason (Dale's son), who is the current spotter for Ryan Newman.

III. "Gentleman Ned" Jarrett was one of CBS' broadcasters during the 1993 Daytona 500 - going into the race, Dale Jarrett had only one Sprint Cup victory. On the last lap, CBS producers instructed Ned to "call his son home." Ned did just that, openly siding with his son in the "Dale and Dale show," in (my opinion) one of the best moments in NASCAR history. Ned later attempted to apologize to Earnhardt about his loss of objectivity, but Earnhardt smiled and said "I'm a father, too."

IV. Dale Jarrett was the first driver for Joe Gibbs Racing - and would drive 3 years for Gibbs, winning 2 races. Brett Favre was also part owner of Jarrett/Favre Motorsports, an Xfinity/Busch Series team in the late '90s-early '00s. (I don't believe infrared's "Who Am I?" game has ever featured a non-player coach as the answer, but either way, there's some NFL/NASCAR crossover there.)

V. The tradition of "kissing the bricks" at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was started by Dale Jarrett and crew chief Todd Parrott in 1996, and has been done by every Brickyard 400 (and some Indy 500) winners since then.

72340924_display_image.jpg?1329365017dale-jarrett-1993-daytona-500-archival-p

Stay tuned for another set of clues tomorrow!

Round 2:

I. There wasn't much left of my vehicle afterwards.

II. I hold a Guinness World Record.

III. I was the last Sprint Cup driver to accomplish this feat.

IV. I took over after a tragedy.

V. I drove the last car with this to win the Daytona 500.

Who am I?

Round 2:

I. There wasn't much left of my vehicle afterwards.

II. I hold a Guinness World Record.

III. I was the last Sprint Cup driver to accomplish this feat.

IV. I took over after a tragedy.

V. I drove the last car with this to win the Daytona 500.

Who am I?

Kevin Harvick

Swing'n'amiss on Pearson as well. I'll probably add another clue in a few hours if no one gets it. Ah, hell, I'll add a subtle one now: the key word in clue I is "vehicle."

Sidenote: I hate that a lot of times David Pearson seems to get left out of the "greatest drivers in NASCAR history" debate. He's 2nd all time in victories, yet somehow Petty/Earnhardt/Gordon get all the love. Pearson was before my time, but I've been a "fan" for a while - a childhood friend's dad grew up down the street from the Pearsons in rural Spartanburg, SC. I heard a lot of fun stories from him.

Sidenote: I hate that a lot of times David Pearson seems to get left out of the "greatest drivers in NASCAR history" debate. He's 2nd all time in victories, yet somehow Petty/Earnhardt/Gordon get all the love. Pearson was before my time, but I've been a "fan" for a while - a childhood friend's dad grew up down the street from the Pearsons in rural Spartanburg, SC. I heard a lot of fun stories from him.

David Pearson was better than Petty in my book. Yes, NASCAR fans, I said it.

Or Geoff Bodinee.

Ah yes, the all but forgotten Bodinee family. Geoff was good, but I always thought his 2nd cousin Geronimo Bodinee was the real talent in that bunch. I guess with a name that's so similar to Bodine, one of the families was bound to get lost in the confusion. B)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Geoff Bodine is as good a guess as any.

BB52Big.jpg

Or Geoff Bodinee.

Extraneous "e" aside, Geoff Bodine is correct.

I. I had to be careful not to use the word "car," as Bodine's infamously terrible crash happened in the Truck series at Daytona. It's an absolute miracle that Bodine survived. Seriously, this is what was left of the truck, and (potentially unsettling image links ahead - this wasn't a gory/fatal crash, but it's spine-chilling to see how close he really was to death or very serious injury) he was all but hanging out of the truck as others were going by at 175 mph. :censored: . Insane.

II. Bodine is credited with the Guinness World Record "Most wins in one season" for his 55 wins (out of 84 starts) in the 1978 Modified season.

III. Bodine is the last Sprint Cup driver to lap the entire field in a win, in 1994 at (RIP) North Wilkesboro.

IV. After Alan Kulwicki's (RIP) death in 1993, Bodine purchased the team's assets and continued in Kulwicki's #7.

V. In the 1986 Daytona 500, Bodine drove a Levi Garrett-sponsored Chevrolet to victory lane - the last car with primary tobacco sponsorship to win the Daytona 500. (And due to the laws prohibiting it, it looks like it'll continue to be the last.)

960x540.jpg86Daytona500.jpeg

Thanks for playing - another round will come tomorrow afternoon!

Round 3:

I. Whether Ken Squier's pun using my name was intentional or not, his words proved to be prophetic.
II. I didn't even know where victory lane was - I had to have a buddy give me directions.
III. I can't verify this, but I'm probably the only NASCAR driver ever to receive a message from a Portuguese official after a win.
IV. I never finished higher than 15th in the Sprint Cup driver's championship standings.
V. I've received some publicity in recent years for some other family members of mine involved in racing.
Who am I?

Derrick Cope?

Derrike Cope is absolutely right. If there were ever a "NASCAR One-Hit Wonders," Derrike Cope would probably be #1. He won two races in his Sprint Cup career - one just happened to be the Daytona 500.

I. Going into Turn 1 on the last lap of the 1990 Daytona 500, with Dale Earnhardt leading and Cope running second, Ken Squier asked "Does anyone have anything to cope with the Man in Black?" It's unlikely that anyone would have, had Earnhardt not run over a piece of debris going into turn 3, causing a tire to go down and drop off the pace. Derrike Cope took the lead, led two turns and won the race.

II. CBS' coverage had Dave Despain interviewing Cope's crew chief, Buddy Parrott, as Cope's crew was celebrating on pit road. Parrott was on the radio with Cope, saying he didn't know where victory lane was.

III. Cope received a telegram from the Portuguese ambassador to the U.S. congratulating him after his Daytona 500 win. Apparently, he had some distant Portuguese ancestry on his mother's side of the family.

IV. As mentioned above, Derrike Cope was not exactly a NASCAR superstar. His 1990 Daytona 500 win is considered to be one of the largest upsets in Sprint Cup history.

V. Cope's twin nieces, Angela and Amber, have competed in a few Xfinity and Truck Series events. They tended to receive publicity on, well, things other than their driving successes.

B9A5WWZIcAAHwfv.jpg0884520001422137228_filepicker.jpg

Since this one was guessed so quickly, I'll see if I can get another one up later tonight.

Archived