New Fictional Sports League: United Reflex League (Nashville/Arizona/Portland Logos - 3/4/16)

Wildcomet

I actually don't think you should switch the Sids logos I think the primary should stay the primary. But I guess they do look similar as logos

Maybe change the secondary logo from a rock-like thing to maybe idk the symbol for New Mexico or Albuquerque (cause EVERYBODY loves the New Mexico symbol) but change the colors to the black and greenish gray

I agree with the first part you said. The logos don't need to be switched. The secondary would work well as a shoulder patch on the uniforms or something like that. That New Mexico symbol you are talking about is called the Zia symbol, so for an actual team to use that as their logo, they would need permission from the Zia Pueblo (they own the symbol). I think the current secondary fits with the Obsidians theme, so I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't change the color scheme either, because it fits the theme very well also.

Anyway, all of the other secondary logos look great. I especially like what you did with Austin and Milwaukee. Nice job!

OHHH that makes sense, I've noticed a lot of people use that symbol and others use the it with the NM flag so I just guessed that it would work. Thanx for that info now I gotta think of a better design for my own NM team

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting and good to know about that symbol; I had considered integrating it into my NM team at first but didn't like what I was getting. Knowing that I'm glad that I didn't use it.

Thought I'd keep things rolling and give a new team for people to check out over the weekend. Welcome the Orlando Travelers!

The name and identity play off the combination of Orlando being a global tourist destination, it's decent proximity to NASA facilities in Florida, and Florida being known as a hot spot for UFO sightings; the logos utilize more of the UFO theme. The colors are inspired by multiple popular attractions in Orlando. Let me know what you think!

ORL%20Travelers_zpspiphwgt6.png

ORL%20Travelers%202ndary%20Logo_zpsj3kku

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Love the secondary and the colors, but idk the name just doesn't click with me. Maybe if you wanna do more alien/ufo theme then maybe Invaders or something. Also there's not enough going on in the primary for me. I'm not sure, also I don't get the UFO looking like a triangle? But the secondary is really good

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Just thought I'd ask, why has each primary logo so far had a wordmark in it? Nothing against it, but it just seems odd and unnecessary.

This is where I'm still trying to teach myself about graphic design (been kind of figuring things out as I go along haha). I kind of always assumed the primary was both a logo and wordmark combined in most instances. I take it that's not the case?

Love the secondary and the colors, but idk the name just doesn't click with me. Maybe if you wanna do more alien/ufo theme then maybe Invaders or something. Also there's not enough going on in the primary for me. I'm not sure, also I don't get the UFO looking like a triangle? But the secondary is really good

A lot of UFO sightings the past couple years have been of triangle shaped craft rather than the stereotypical flying saucer, and the saucer has been done to death so I went with the triangle. I considered Invaders and a couple other names but it again felt a bit cliche to me, and I liked the double meaning Travelers can have with Orlando's tourist industry. That said, I appreciate the feedback! I may see what more I can add to the primary, I was trying to keep it from being too busy but I could give it a little something more.

Oh that makes sense I guess I haven't noticed a lot of UFOs stuff lately.

Someone asked you about the word marks and you said you were still learning about design so I wrote some things about logos and stuff I've noticed with other sports

in baseball a lot of teams primaries r mostly letters or another version of a logo very few have a general design (Indians, Phillies, Diamondbacks and others) while sports such as football and hockey usually do way to complex logos (Buccaneers, Jaguars, Wild) and soccer does symbols that match the particular cities own symbols or colors and usually r in the shape of shields or circles. While basketball does logos that incorporate a basketball into them. It really depends on the type of sports logos your going for. I personally like soccer and baseball design patterns best, but football and hockey still have some of the best designs

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Oh that makes sense I guess I haven't noticed a lot of UFOs stuff lately.

Someone asked you about the word marks and you said you were still learning about design so I wrote some things about logos and stuff I've noticed with other sports

in baseball a lot of teams primaries r mostly letters or another version of a logo very few have a general design (Indians, Phillies, Diamondbacks and others) while sports such as football and hockey usually do way to complex logos (Buccaneers, Jaguars, Wild) and soccer does symbols that match the particular cities own symbols or colors and usually r in the shape of shields or circles. While basketball does logos that incorporate a basketball into them. It really depends on the type of sports logos your going for. I personally like soccer and baseball design patterns best, but football and hockey still have some of the best designs

Thanks, that helps. The logos I'm most familiar with are Football and Basketball, and especially with football I've seen them present a wordmark with the logo in a lot of uses so I think that had formed my basis of thinking on that issue. Basketball wasn't terribly helpful for me on this venture given the putting a basketball in each logo thing and more recently the roundel craze (though to give myself some experience and practice making them one of the URL teams will have a roundel). I would say I'm generally veering towards the football/hockey route with my designs, though a lot of my secondaries are taking the idea of a letter-based logo. Hopefully that'll be a good basis for a Reflex logo style going forward.

I would make the wordmark follow the same line as the ufo. Right now the wordmark and logo don't work well together because it leaves the odd gap on the left of the logo where there isn't a gap on the right.

That's a good point, I'll see what I can do with that. Thanks!

Just thought I'd ask, why has each primary logo so far had a wordmark in it? Nothing against it, but it just seems odd and unnecessary.

This is where I'm still trying to teach myself about graphic design (been kind of figuring things out as I go along haha). I kind of always assumed the primary was both a logo and wordmark combined in most instances. I take it that's not the case?

It's just that as a hockey fan I'm used to seeing just logos, and wordmarks separate. I guess this is your sport though, so you can decide how the logos work. Either way, this series has been great!

Given the comments about the name, I thought I would open up a quick little poll to get some opinions on possible names. Whichever is chosen will go with the current logos; I'm glad those are well liked because I thought they were some of my better work, Let me know which you prefer. Feel free to suggest others as well if none of these six work for you.

- Orlando Travelers (the current name)

- Orlando Aliens (pretty self-explanatory)

- Orlando Entities (short for extraterrestrial entity)

- Orlando Invaders (since aliens are often portrayed as invading Earth)

- Orlando Tachyons (theoretical particles that move faster than light/potential basis for warp drive)

- Orlando Centauris (Alpha and Proxima Centauri are the two stars closest to our solar system)

Archived