What's up with the matte trend?

MCM0313

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It would have been nice to have a real discussion about decal materials rather than asinine, snarky comments from Cosmic.  

Oh geez, I was just having some fun while I was trapped under a sleeping child. My original joke directed to you was in response to your incorrect simplification that matte decals would be paper stickers. I pointed out that that didn't make sense, although in an "asinine" way. In the same post, I also laid out my feelings in a straightforward way: glossy decals on a glossy helmet work together pretty seamlessly; glossy decals on a matte helmet look awkwardly cobbled together.  IMO, of course. Sorry for wasting your kilobytes.

as far as the trend goes, a matte or satin finish is very popular. its driven by HGI and their Hydroskin process which changes a bit every couple of years, but the last NFL rebrand used it (Browns) and all the major rebrands of last year in CFB used at least 1 alternate with a Hydroskin finish. this year Clemson and Purdue have both used the finish

its not slowing down at all, in fact a satin finish may even be the new standard. it matches the uniform materials well and from what i understand makes the helmets a bit lighter (thats a bigger deal than jerseys because weight can effect the likley ess of a concussion) 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Some of the HGI stuff has certainly "driven" some trends, but matte/satin has really nothing specific to do with HGI, since theirs is a unique graphic process, while the matte/satin finishes are simply paint and/or clear coat options provided by the major helmet manufacturers and reconditioners.. Sure, HGI might also offer the finish(es) and charge an arm and a leg for something simple and basic, but to my knowledge, some of the major matte/satin looks were actually provided by Schutt and Riddell..

Not trying to nitpick, but HGI gets credit for pretty much everything (and they do amazing work, don't get me wrong), but sometimes it's something much simpler than their hydro graphics process 

Also, when did Clemson wear satin helmets? I tried to research it myself, but couldn't find anything.. They've had their own unique metallic-pearl-orange color for a while now, but I don't recall them wearing matte or satin.. Not denying that that did, just find it interesting that they'd mess with the "untouchable" helmet 

4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Some of the HGI stuff has certainly "driven" some trends, but matte/satin has really nothing specific to do with HGI, since theirs is a unique graphic process, while the matte/satin finishes are simply paint and/or clear coat options provided by the major helmet manufacturers and reconditioners.. Sure, HGI might also offer the finish(es) and charge an arm and a leg for something simple and basic, but to my knowledge, some of the major matte/satin looks were actually provided by Schutt and Riddell..

Not trying to nitpick, but HGI gets credit for pretty much everything (and they do amazing work, don't get me wrong), but sometimes it's something much simpler than their hydro graphics process 

Also, when did Clemson wear satin helmets? I tried to research it myself, but couldn't find anything.. They've had their own unique metallic-pearl-orange color for a while now, but I don't recall them wearing matte or satin.. Not denying that that did, just find it interesting that they'd mess with the "untouchable" helmet 

yes and no to what you said, yes MATTE can be created by anyone really, but the satin, and anodized helmets that we have been seeing a lot lately is all HGI. matte is just a paint finish, satin and anodized finishes are a completely different process that is a lot more complex.

22 hours ago, WavePunter said:

yea that bit about HGI was what i was trying to get at. you're right about Clemson though, their helmet still has a gloss finish - it was some of Nike's concepts (including the mocks for the 2016 playoffs) that showed them with a matte finish. i got juked :/

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Riddell absolutely offers the anodized finish.. The Riddell rep brought an entire CD case filled with CD's that had all their helmet finish options on the shiny side of the CD's.. They even have a paint option called "lightning" that's actually somewhat close to a chrome look (not that I'd want it, but it was interesting and impressive nonetheless).. Again, this is an example of HGI getting more credit than they deserve.. The satin finish is nothing more than matte metallic, and the anodized is essentially the same, but with a hint of translucency to add that depth of color.. All possible with specialized paints and processes 

15 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Riddell absolutely offers the anodized finish.. The Riddell rep brought an entire CD case filled with CD's that had all their helmet finish options on the shiny side of the CD's.. They even have a paint option called "lightning" that's actually somewhat close to a chrome look (not that I'd want it, but it was interesting and impressive nonetheless).. Again, this is an example of HGI getting more credit than they deserve.. The satin finish is nothing more than matte metallic, and the anodized is essentially the same, but with a hint of translucency to add that depth of color.. All possible with specialized paints and processes 

What is the finish on the Seahawks helmet, where it's more of an eggshell look?  Arizona State has it for their yellow helmets.  It's not matte metallic, and it's not anodized (I don't think).  It's a shiny (but not glossy) matte

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I remember seeing a report on one of the Football pre-game shows, and I am talking way back in the mid to late 70's, NFL Today or whatever NBC was calling theirs at the time... They mentioned that for the safety of the players, especially the OL and DL the equipment managers kept a high gloss shine on the helmets at all times. After every practice and game every helmet was buffed/polished (not sure what they would do, we'll say "maintained").  They mentioned that with the inevitable head to head contact that you get on the line of scrimmage, the helmets had a better chance of "sliding" off each other rather than someone's neck getting jammed from the friction. Of course it wasn't concussions or head injuries they referenced back then but neck injury.

I know helmet technology has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 40 years, but it made sense then and it makes sense now that two high gloss helmets hitting each other would be better for the Men wearing them than Matte/Satin. If any of this was/is true it seems in today's game where head injuries are under a microscope this would come into play when deciding if a team would go to the new trend.

I guess I don't really have a comment or question, It's just a memory that came back to me when I started seeing these helmets show up on the scene.

On 4/26/2016 at 2:21 PM, MC Buffalo said:

I remember seeing a report on one of the Football pre-game shows, and I am talking way back in the mid to late 70's, NFL Today or whatever NBC was calling theirs at the time... They mentioned that for the safety of the players, especially the OL and DL the equipment managers kept a high gloss shine on the helmets at all times. After every practice and game every helmet was buffed/polished (not sure what they would do, we'll say "maintained").  They mentioned that with the inevitable head to head contact that you get on the line of scrimmage, the helmets had a better chance of "sliding" off each other rather than someone's neck getting jammed from the friction. Of course it wasn't concussions or head injuries they referenced back then but neck injury.

I know helmet technology has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 40 years, but it made sense then and it makes sense now that two high gloss helmets hitting each other would be better for the Men wearing them than Matte/Satin. If any of this was/is true it seems in today's game where head injuries are under a microscope this would come into play when deciding if a team would go to the new trend.

I guess I don't really have a comment or question, It's just a memory that came back to me when I started seeing these helmets show up on the scene.

That does make sense at first glance. I don't know for sure if it would make sense under more examination, relating to concussions. All I know for sure is, I think glossy helmets look better in the vast majority of cases.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:56 PM, DNAsports said:

I'd actually like to see a satin helmet for the Redskins.

Here is a satin-ish 'Skins helmet I made for my nephew.  The decal features his face, but it gives you a idea of what the 'Skins would look like with a matte or satin helmet...

ory_gloss.jpg

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

On April 26, 2016 at 2:21 PM, MC Buffalo said:

A year or two ago, we had this exact discussion in a thread I started.. I went to my brother-in-law's school to apply their helmet decals and noticed how beat up their helmets looked and how much the paint had chipped, etc (this was after fall camp, less than a week before game 1).. I'm the equipment manager at my school, and at the time, ours still looked relatively brand new.. I hypothesized that it was due primarily to the finish (ours were Carolina Panther silver with a high gloss finish, and theirs were matte black).. So, for a couple years now, I have absolutely felt as though the finish plays a role in safety.. I think you're spot-on here

Archived