What's up with the matte trend?

MCM0313

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vlcsnap-2015-11-22-21h44m21s113.png

I agree that it looks good for the Vikes. Their glossy helmets were never really that glossy because the purple was too dark and, as we all know, purple has a short wavelength anyway. If it were true matte it'd be crappy though.

You know what I truly despise? Matte black. How could anyone think that'd ever look good, ever?!

Oh I feel 100% differently.  I think matte really only works with black and super dark colors.  I don't care for the Vikings matte (satin, whatever shut up).  It doesn't look real - it looks like someone photoshopped their helmets or added some kind of effect in post-production.

I prefer it more for baseball than football, since typically the helmet doesn't match the white or gray uniform so there's no color clash.  IN football there's often a clash in finish between the helmet and same-colored jersey, and even though the same thing exists with the glossy finish, I'm just more accustomed to that and prefer it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, ohryan said:

It's a Fad. Look at vests in baseball - one team started doing it then half the league had them. A few years later nobody wears them anymore. The pendulum always swings back.

I hope it's more of an evolution than a fad.  In every case that I have seen so far, the matte finish creates a texture that looks really good.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I don't tend to like trends (hockey jersey laces, MLB vests, NBA sleeves) but I really like satin, matte, etc. for football.  I don't want every team to use it but I like that a few do.  Somewhere in the 10 to 15% range works for me.  

I don't like it as much in baseball, for no reason I can really articulate.  I really liked it when it started with college baseball helmets but for some reason I don't like it for MLB.  I am closer to on board with dark colors in MLB; the Giants looks OK.  Who knows,  I hate the Dodgers raised letters so much that maybe it ruins the matte helmet for me.  I like that the Cubs have the cap-like logo on their helmet (and have for decades) and kinda want them to be the only team doing something like that.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

If they want to get me on board with the matte helmet trend, figure out how to make matte decals.

I really like the contrast of the shiny decal on the matte helmet.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

14 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

That works better in some cases than in others. To wit:

$_35.JPG

Then again, blue decals on a black helmet are bound to be indistinct anyway.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

If they want to get me on board with the matte helmet trend, figure out how to make matte decals.

Matte decals are just paper stickers.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

That works better in some cases than in others. To wit:

Then again, blue decals on a black helmet are bound to be indistinct anyway.

Yeah, blue/black like that fails regardless.  And the decals don't need to be that shiny...but they don't need to be matte either.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Yeah, blue/black like that fails regardless.  And the decals don't need to be that shiny...but they don't need to be matte either.

I actually like the contrast between super-matte helmet and super-shiny decals, if the color contrast is good enough. Obviously in the case of the helmet I shared (one of many alternates Memphis has used recently, most copying the template of the Cincinnati Bengals), the color contrast was crappy. They had a halfway-decent silver chrome helmet with blue stripes that worked much better, although it was probably just plain too bright.

On 4/20/2016 at 6:30 PM, MCM0313 said:

I'm just having a hard time imagining the Bears or Packers or Chiefs or Dolphins (any iteration 1980s-present) without gloss, and the Giants or Raiders without metallic finishes. 

As far as the "sparkles" mentioned by @MC Buffalo, does that refer at all to the Jaguars' old black-with-teal-highlights helmet, or just in general to metallic finishes?

There are several types of metallic finishes. For sparkles, teams introduce slightly off-colored flecks.

Here's the University of Minnesota with their glossy metallic maroon finish which was followed by their sparkles helmet (eventually replaced by the current helmets):

120943103_zps9ziyn28q.jpg

minnesota-football-helmet-gophers_zpsarz

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On April 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM, OnWis97 said:

That's my major issue with matte helmets. With the standard gloss, I think the decals look almost seamless; the whole thing just looks like it goes together. With the matte helmets and glossy decals, it seems much more obvious that it's just a sticker and it doesn't flow with the rest of the helmet IMO.

On April 22, 2016 at 10:20 AM, WSU151 said:

Matte decals are just paper stickers.  

Sure, the finish = materials. That's why matte helmets are made of paper, and glossy decals are made of metal, glass, or polished stone.

12 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Sure, the finish = materials. That's why matte helmets are made of paper, and glossy decals are made of metal, glass, or polished stone.

Yep.  You nailed it.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived