2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

2 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Cowboys got blown out at home to 2 teams that both had no kicker. 

I wonder if Elliot regrets not taking that suspension sooner. 

Why would he?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why would he?

Cowboys would at least have an extremely chance of sneaking into a WC spot with him, had he took his suspension earlier. 

With all the injuries they're dealing with, and now having Elliot gone (practically) the rest of the season, to put it bluntly, Cowboys are :censored:ed. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

55 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

Cowboys would at least have an extremely chance of sneaking into a WC spot with him, had he took his suspension earlier. 

With all the injuries they're dealing with, and now having Elliot gone (practically) the rest of the season, to put it bluntly, Cowboys are :censored:ed. 

Makes no sense.  If they can’t win without him, then they’d be 0-6 or 1-5 and out of it when he came back. By playing he at least got the, into the playoff picture and they just needed to tread water. 

Wins in the beginning count as much as win at the end. It didn’t matter when he sat - if anything, playing up front bought them time to figure out plan b, which obviously didn’t work out (bet they wish they traded a 4 for Ajayi like the eagles did!)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And stop it with injuries. The eagles have more significant injuries and have been able to rely on depth. If you have no depth you’re not a good team. 

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Makes no sense.  If they can’t win without him, then they’d be 0-6 or 1-5 and out of it when he came back. By playing he at least got the, into the playoff picture and they just needed to tread water. 

Wins in the beginning count as much as win at the end. It didn’t matter when he sat - if anything, playing up front bought them time to figure out plan b, which obviously didn’t work out (bet they wish they traded a 4 for Ajayi like the eagles did!)

It makes perfect sense. He takes it at the beginning of the season, the team is still healthy and they have time plan without him. Maybe they go 3-3 or 1-5 at worse. But as it's still early they would have time to make up those games, especially with getting Elliott back.

And I disagree, wins at the end are more important than winning at the start of the season.  A team can still make the playoffs after a bad start. But losing down the stretch is how teams miss the playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

And stop it with injuries. The eagles have more significant injuries and have been able to rely on depth. If you have no depth you’re not a good team. 

Which further proves my point.  Cowboy have no depth and now during an immensely important stretch, they're missing a star play they could have had if he sat out earlier.  

Phantom Merch Collector.

If Ezekiel Elliott takes his suspension to start the season, there's a reasonable chance they start the season 3-3 with wins over the Giants, Cardinals, and 49ers with losses to Green Bay, Denver, and Los Angeles.  Which is exactly how they started the season.  This would leave them very much in the wild card picture with their best player for the last ten games.

IUe6Hvh.png

Wins at the end are simply not worth more than wins at the beginning.  If you win in the beginning you don't have to make up games at the end.  I guess if you evaluate the individual teams on the schedule you could make that case that the beginning was easier and they didn't need him, but you can't do that, because look at the Rams.  Look at the Vikings.  Look at the Eagles.  You just don't know how easy/hard the games are going to be until you're well into the season.

29 minutes ago, Kaz said:

The Cowboys have generally had one of the top offensive lines in the league which many thought was the real reason why Murray was so much better at Dallas than Philly/Tennessee and Zeke was able to be great off the start.  I'd be hesitant to say that having Zeke right now would solve everything if said offensive line is missing many of its best players.

Tyron's on the mend, and Zack Martin is going to be going through concussion protocol. Dallas could not afford to keep a good plug-in stop-gap in Ronald Leary, and Doug Free, who was a holding machine, and was often the most hated player on the offensive line; are sorely missed.

Jonathan Cooper is okay, La'el Collins is a bit on the fragile side. Dallas just needs to draft some more depth at the offensive line. Really, injuries will destroy any team, at any position.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Is the NFC home or away in the SB this year? I hope the eagles wear their green jerseys. They’ll probably be stupid and petition to wear black though. 

Also, yeah RBs can be game changers, I’ve witnessed that personally with Brian Westbrook, but even then their line was strong. A great line can make a mediocre RB look great (Murray), but a bad line can make even a great RB look average or slightly above. They’d no doubt be better with Elliot, but I’m not sure it would have changed anything in the eagles game. Not sure about their other ones. 

2 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Tyron's on the mend, and Zack Martin is going to be going through concussion protocol. Dallas could not afford to keep a good plug-in stop-gap in Ronald Leary, and Doug Free, who was a holding machine, and was often the most hated player on the offensive line; are sorely missed.

Jonathan Cooper is okay, La'el Collins is a bit on the fragile side. Dallas just needs to draft some more depth at the offensive line. Really, injuries will destroy any team, at any position.

Again, the eagles had more significant injuries than most teams and had the depth to (at least so far) not lose too much of a beat (though their new LT needs help on almost every play, hence the disappearance of their tight ends from the passing game). Good scheme and good backups can hold it together when anyone except a QB is injured. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is the NFC home or away in the SB this year? I hope the eagles wear their green jerseys. They’ll probably be stupid and petition to wear black though. 

Also, yeah RBs can be game changers, I’ve witnessed that personally with Brian Westbrook, but even then their line was strong. A great line can make a mediocre RB look great (Murray), but a bad line can make even a great RB look average or slightly above. They’d no doubt be better with Elliot, but I’m not sure it would have changed anything in the eagles game. Not sure about their other ones. 

I believe the NFC is the home team in every odd numbered Super Bowl and the AFC is the home team in every even numbered Super Bowl.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

NFC is away team. NFL Network discussed it last night in terms of the Vikings possibly playing in their home stadium as the away team.

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Can Dallas fire Garrett please? All he's good for his being Jerry's meat-puppet.

Garrett is the third Jones son.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Jerry-Jones-Supports-Jason-Garrett-Dak-Prescott-459713723.html

Last night...

"No, just no. Again, I don't step out of the dressing room and evaluate the coaching position at all. Candidly, and I don't even want to say it so that somebody might repeat it. Absolutely not."

49 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

NFC is away team. NFL Network discussed it last night in terms of the Vikings possibly playing in their home stadium as the away team.

I wonder if the NFL would make an exception and let the Vikings wear their Home Jerseys. 

Come to think of it, when was the last time a home team wore their road colors at home? I feel like it has happened before. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

22 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

I wonder if the NFL would make an exception and let the Vikings wear their Home Jerseys. 

Come to think of it, when was the last time a home team wore their road colors at home? I feel like it has happened before. 

Doubtful, unless the designated home team decides to wear white, like when the Steelers wore white in SB40.  I feel like theres a more recent year that the home team wore white, but not sure.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Doubtful, unless the designated home team decides to wear white, like when the Steelers wore white in SB40.  I feel like theres a more recent year that the home team wore white, but not sure.

The Broncos wore white in Super Bowl 50 against the Panthers.

I'm confused - how can the Vikings play the Eagles in the Super Bowl?  

Archived