MJD7

NFL Tweaks (31&32/32 Tennessee Titans & Washington Redhawks)

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

 

With the regular season coming to a close and the playoffs gearing to start, I figured now would be a good time to post a project that I've been working on the past couple of months: an NFL Tweaks Series. This series will operate in a similar fashion to my original MLB Tweaks, with me only changing the elements of each team's identity that I find necessary. Here are some rules I went by that I figure you all should know going in:

 

-This is an unpopular opinion, but I really do not like the use of gray facemasks on helmets, when that color cannot be found anywhere else in the identity. So you'll likely be seeing a lot of those go.

-I decided to keep the idea of Color Rush uniforms, since the NFL is still technically employing it as a program. However, I decided to add a personal rule: that being the socks must always match the color of the helmet. For some teams, that leaves them with their completely monochrome looks, for others, it makes the use of entirely one color a bit less gaudy.

-I'm also going to try to follow the one-helmet rule, as conceptually to maintain brand strength it's not a bad idea.

-As with the MLB, the overall goal was to modernize the looks of the NFL in a clean, classic way.

-Some big inspirations that I can think off throughout the making of this were Jesse Alkire's NFL series as well as @bkknight95's series, so a lot of credit goes to both of them.

-I'll be posting in alphabetical order, two teams at a time. Hopefully I'll be able to have all the teams posted before the Super Bowl.

 

So the first teams up are two that have been stuck in the early 2000's piping trend for quite a while now, the Cardinals and the Falcons.

 

First up being the Arizona Cardinals!

Logos

sPk8dFm.png

-The primary & helmet logo stays the same, the cardinal head is a great logo. 

-All of the copper elements have to do with Color Rush, as you'll see in the uniforms...

 

Uniforms

wgaxGBP.png

W0qucov.png

lv44Eoj.png

kE7qzPq.png

-Right off the bat, it's clear that the Arizona flag was a huge inspiration in the design, with the sunrise pattern occupying the sleeve caps and the pants stripe. It also sort of has the effect of feathers, while also mimicking the multiple stripes on some of the Cardinals' inaugural uniforms.

-I decided to go with sharper, more angular numbers in order to mimic the claws of a bird.

-Although the primary home and away sets are the combinations shown above, the Cardinals could also wear the red pants occasionally on the road, and vice versa.

-I'm not really big on the Cardinals having a black alternate, but I figured it looked "cool" with the added red & yellow. This alternate would only be used at most once a year.

-The Color Rush set embraces a color that only Arizona could own: a nice shade of copper, as seen on the flag. I know it might look a little out there, but for me at least it was better than black, and embraced the entire state.

 

Next up, here are the Atlanta Falcons!

Logos

UbR5WiD.png

-I decided to take silver out of the color scheme, and just focus on black and a bright scarlet red. The primary loses some cluttered outlines, and the helmet becomes red, as I'll explain more in the uniform section.

 

Uniforms

Ws5eRW7.png

smtjkCv.png

46qJeaf.png

2gKS51f.png

-I decided to go with the red helmet for the Falcons since it helps them stand out more in a division filled with black. I also think it goes better with both the red primary and black alternate jersey.

-I went with a number font based on the current wordmark font, much like many Falcons concepts do.

-For the striping pattern, I went with one that mimics the feather angles of the primary logo but also has some precedence in Atlanta's early history. This allows the uniform to be sharp & modern while still rooted in tradition.

-For the Color Rush, I went all-red but with black numbers in order to sort of dull down all the bright red present. The striping is also slightly recolored.

 

That's what I've got for the moment, I hope you guys are looking forward to this and I'd love to hear what you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you get that font for the Cardinals? It's really good and ties the rest of the uniform together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like the Cardinals uniforms. As far as the Falcons go, I think the black jersey would work better as the standard primary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

Where did you get that font for the Cardinals? It's really good and ties the rest of the uniform together. 

Thank you, funnily enough I actually made the font myself in Paint, I think I just used the standard MLB Block font and added a lot of sharp angles.

5 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Not liking use of black on cardinals, since its only used for number outline and logo (except alt of course)

How would you suggest that I fix that? Should I add more black to the regular set, or maybe I could take out black altogether and maybe incorporate some more copper into the regular set.

2 hours ago, ~Bear said:

Really like the Cardinals uniforms. As far as the Falcons go, I think the black jersey would work better as the standard primary. 

Thank you. The only reason I maybe like having red as the primary for the Falcons is that 2 out of the other 3 teams in the NFC South use black as the primary home, so I just wanted to switch things up a bit. I thought about adding black pants as a home option, that might be cool.

 

C&C is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This particular template looks familiar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, edjb93 said:

This particular template looks familiar...

Oh wow, I am so sorry... I could have sworn I borrowed the template from the Paint Resources thread, I didn't realize I took it from you... I'm terribly sorry. All credit goes to @edjb93 for the template. I really enjoyed your NCAA FBS series, by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Hey everyone,

 

With the regular season coming to a close and the playoffs gearing to start, I figured now would be a good time to post a project that I've been working on the past couple of months: an NFL Tweaks Series. This series will operate in a similar fashion to my original MLB Tweaks, with me only changing the elements of each team's identity that I find necessary. Here are some rules I went by that I figure you all should know going in:

 

-This is an unpopular opinion, but I really do not like the use of gray facemasks on helmets, when that color cannot be found anywhere else in the identity. So you'll likely be seeing a lot of those go.

-I decided to keep the idea of Color Rush uniforms, since the NFL is still technically employing it as a program. However, I decided to add a personal rule: that being the socks must always match the color of the helmet. For some teams, that leaves them with their completely monochrome looks, for others, it makes the use of entirely one color a bit less gaudy.

-I'm also going to try to follow the one-helmet rule, as conceptually to maintain brand strength it's not a bad idea.

-As with the MLB, the overall goal was to modernize the looks of the NFL in a clean, classic way.

-Some big inspirations that I can think off throughout the making of this were Jesse Alkire's NFL series as well as @bkknight95's series, so a lot of credit goes to both of them.

-I'll be posting in alphabetical order, two teams at a time. Hopefully I'll be able to have all the teams posted before the Super Bowl.

 

So the first teams up are two that have been stuck in the early 2000's piping trend for quite a while now, the Cardinals and the Falcons.

 

First up being the Arizona Cardinals!

Logos

sPk8dFm.png

-The primary & helmet logo stays the same, the cardinal head is a great logo. 

-All of the copper elements have to do with Color Rush, as you'll see in the uniforms...

 

Uniforms

wgaxGBP.png

W0qucov.png

lv44Eoj.png

kE7qzPq.png

-Right off the bat, it's clear that the Arizona flag was a huge inspiration in the design, with the sunrise pattern occupying the sleeve caps and the pants stripe. It also sort of has the effect of feathers, while also mimicking the multiple stripes on some of the Cardinals' inaugural uniforms.

-I decided to go with sharper, more angular numbers in order to mimic the claws of a bird.

-Although the primary home and away sets are the combinations shown above, the Cardinals could also wear the red pants occasionally on the road, and vice versa.

-I'm not really big on the Cardinals having a black alternate, but I figured it looked "cool" with the added red & yellow. This alternate would only be used at most once a year.

-The Color Rush set embraces a color that only Arizona could own: a nice shade of copper, as seen on the flag. I know it might look a little out there, but for me at least it was better than black, and embraced the entire state.

 

Next up, here are the Atlanta Falcons!

Logos

UbR5WiD.png

-I decided to take silver out of the color scheme, and just focus on black and a bright scarlet red. The primary loses some cluttered outlines, and the helmet becomes red, as I'll explain more in the uniform section.

 

Uniforms

Ws5eRW7.png

smtjkCv.png

46qJeaf.png

2gKS51f.png

-I decided to go with the red helmet for the Falcons since it helps them stand out more in a division filled with black. I also think it goes better with both the red primary and black alternate jersey.

-I went with a number font based on the current wordmark font, much like many Falcons concepts do.

-For the striping pattern, I went with one that mimics the feather angles of the primary logo but also has some precedence in Atlanta's early history. This allows the uniform to be sharp & modern while still rooted in tradition.

-For the Color Rush, I went all-red but with black numbers in order to sort of dull down all the bright red present. The striping is also slightly recolored.

 

That's what I've got for the moment, I hope you guys are looking forward to this and I'd love to hear what you think.

Not a fan of the blood clot look for Arizona. Otherwise love the Cardinals concept. 

 

For the Falcons, I don't care for the red pants, and I feel like their overall look would be better with silver or gold as a tertiary - or even flat grey. That said, I love that black alternate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Oh wow, I am so sorry... I could have sworn I borrowed the template from the Paint Resources thread, I didn't realize I took it from you... I'm terribly sorry. All credit goes to @edjb93 for the template. I really enjoyed your NCAA FBS series, by the way.

 

You don't have to apologize for that. In fact, I really appreciate your effort for using my template. I guess I should upload my templates on the Paint Resources thread.

 

But, template aside, I'm interested on how this series will go.

 

For Arizona, welcome to the "State Flag Concept Club". I've seen a lot of Cardinals concept uniforms (including mine) that used the state flag as the overall theme, and yours is a good addition to this collection. I think you should have white numbers for your Color Rush uniform, because copper and cardinal red are somehow indistinguishable shade-wise.

 

For Atlanta, I think it's a great look, if you could only remove the sleeve logo, because the striping itself screams a lot. Maybe you could somehow improve the perspective of the sleeve stripes, so that they will be on par with the pant striping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Not a fan of the blood clot look for Arizona. Otherwise love the Cardinals concept. 

 

For the Falcons, I don't care for the red pants, and I feel like their overall look would be better with silver or gold as a tertiary - or even flat grey. That said, I love that black alternate.

Thank you. Arizona wouldn't wear the all-red all the time, I just really like that cardinal red shade. As for the Falcons, I wanted to avoid giving them a tertiary, as silver would be too similar to Georgia (although that may not be a bad thing), and gold would bring them closer to the Saints.

11 hours ago, edjb93 said:

 

You don't have to apologize for that. In fact, I really appreciate your effort for using my template. I guess I should upload my templates on the Paint Resources thread.

 

But, template aside, I'm interested on how this series will go.

 

For Arizona, welcome to the "State Flag Concept Club". I've seen a lot of Cardinals concept uniforms (including mine) that used the state flag as the overall theme, and yours is a good addition to this collection. I think you should have white numbers for your Color Rush uniform, because copper and cardinal red are somehow indistinguishable shade-wise.

 

For Atlanta, I think it's a great look, if you could only remove the sleeve logo, because the striping itself screams a lot. Maybe you could somehow improve the perspective of the sleeve stripes, so that they will be on par with the pant striping.

Thank you! Looking at it, you're probably right about Arizona's Color Rush uniform, it's probably better to focus on the copper and the white.

2hi6TfY.png

I also tried a blue version and a red version with more color, but it was hard to make them not look silly.

 

As for the Falcons, I tried removing the logo from the sleeves, but something just looked weird to me. I also figured it matched these jerseys pretty well. It's also interesting, because I had a hard time with the pants stripe, and wasn't really satisfied with how it came out.

 

It seemed like the black jersey got some positive reaction, so maybe I should make that the primary. Just to try it out, what would you all think about black pants?

SdhvvKW.png

 

Any more comments will be appreciated, I can have the Ravens and Bills up whenever you all are ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I'm gonna go ahead and post the next two teams: one that just missed the playoffs, and one that just snuck in...

 

First up being the Ravens!

 

Logos

j4DdRfM.png

-Much like in @bkknight95's series, I don't really understand why the Ravens use gold. It really goes against the whole Edgar Allan Poe, dreary, dark vibe. So I also decided to replace it with red, to make a more menacing set and also have a unique color scheme. The only time gold is really used beyond the secondary logo is for the Color Rush, where it is used to embrace Maryland's flag.

 

Uniforms

1IItKBh.pngIuMcNuy.pngFpLjJcr.png0GT0922.png

-The Ravens uniforms are pretty simple, so I wasn't sure what I could incorporate design-wise for them. My idea was to do a subliminal form of the Baltimore flag pattern, using alternating colors to make the sleeves and pants shimmer sort of like raven feathers.

-In that same sense, the black helmet also has the effect the old Jaguars helmet had of a teal shimmer, but with purple instead. This is pretty much impossible to render in Paint haha, but I did the best I could.

-Although I normally don't like monochrome, for some reason I think it really works for the Ravens, both home and away. Obviously they can switch it up at times (maybe wearing black pants occasionally home & away) but I would keep them mostly in monochrome. It seems sharp and fierce, which I think fits the Ravens.

-The Color Rush unabashedly takes pride in the famous Maryland flag, embracing the gold and red and incorporating the flag into the sleeve stripes and pants.

 

Now here are the Buffalo Bills!

Logos

vMIkrLc.png

-The Bills most recent redesign went back to a more traditional look, which is something I can't object to. The only change you'll really see is that all of the single-colored elements of the set (i.e. no outlines) will be colored red, to emulate the Bills "streak" in the primary logo and add a little boldness.

 

Uniforms

24M9oeA.pngfEGqwaO.pngI4hjwTX.png

-Overall all I could do with the Bills set is to focus on striping consistency, I made the center stripe on everything red and then worked from there.

-The helmet stripe grows towards the back much like the primary logo.

-The Color Rush embraces the red. I almost made the facemask red too, but left it blue just to balance it out a little bit.

 

Let me know what you guys think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts:

 

Arizona: Ditch the black outlines on the red and white for the gold trim from the black alt for that Arizona theme.

 

Atlanta: Adjust the pant stripes to match the shoulder stripes with one side flat and the other flared.

 

Baltimore: Burn it with fire....... and then if you're going to get rid of the gold, make it silver and a white number trimmed in silver and black on the purple uniform.

 

Buffalo: Nearly perfect, just have the white socks on the blue pants instead of blue socks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last post was a little harsh on the Ravens uniform. I think the red drop-shadow for the alternative/color rush unis looks out of place. I think white would be a better choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardinals: I really like the copper color rush; solid set all around.

 

Falcons: I’m glad you emphasized red rather than black, but I think it could use a little more black.

 

Ravens: love the use of red as the accent color, but I think you might need to reel it in (red numbers and B); the color rush is beautiful.

 

Bills: not much to do with their set, but looks good nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

My thoughts:

 

Arizona: Ditch the black outlines on the red and white for the gold trim from the black alt for that Arizona theme.

 

Atlanta: Adjust the pant stripes to match the shoulder stripes with one side flat and the other flared.

 

Baltimore: Burn it with fire....... and then if you're going to get rid of the gold, make it silver and a white number trimmed in silver and black on the purple uniform.

 

Buffalo: Nearly perfect, just have the white socks on the blue pants instead of blue socks.

For Arizona it's kind of hard though, if I add too much gold they end up looking like Washington.

 

For Baltimore, I considered adding silver, maybe that could be the solution... But I'd still want to keep red.

 

I updated the Bills above.

16 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

The last post was a little harsh on the Ravens uniform. I think the red drop-shadow for the alternative/color rush unis looks out of place. I think white would be a better choice. 

It’s all good, people are entitled to their opinions, I’d welcome that kind of feedback if that’s what people really think. I probably want to keep the red shadow though, white was just too stark, and for the Color Rush it fits the Maryland theme.

2 hours ago, BenD said:

Cardinals: I really like the copper color rush; solid set all around.

 

Falcons: I’m glad you emphasized red rather than black, but I think it could use a little more black.

 

Ravens: love the use of red as the accent color, but I think you might need to reel it in (red numbers and B); the color rush is beautiful.

 

Bills: not much to do with their set, but looks good nonetheless.

Alright, for the Falcons set I'll say the black pants can be in the rotation.

 

You're right that I should reign in the red some for the Ravens, it's best used as an accent. Here is an update for them:

pRX9jCC.pngJRM4YfZ.pngtJ1XJsO.pngNay8sPr.pngDBEqaR9.png

 

Thank you all for the C&C! Any more would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks good, but I dislike the monochrome trend i see, (Cardinals Home, ravens Home) but these are good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit I was harsh but I just hate the look of red and purple together, it's one of those color combinations that just triggers me.

 

That said, using it in the way you did in the redo looks alot better. I still think silver instead of red would be a great look, but its your thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of these are really good, especially the updated Ravens. Can't wait to see more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 5:52 PM, RealSkillsAbraham said:

It looks good, but I dislike the monochrome trend i see, (Cardinals Home, ravens Home) but these are good!

Thank you. A surprising amount of teams early on are monochrome even though I'm not the biggest fan, but I promise those will go away after today's team.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:52 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

I admit I was harsh but I just hate the look of red and purple together, it's one of those color combinations that just triggers me.

 

That said, using it in the way you did in the redo looks alot better. I still think silver instead of red would be a great look, but its your thread.

Thank you for the honesty. I might try and incorporate some silver if I do the final updates, but I wanted to keep purple & red since it's unique now that the Raptors gave it up.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, ~Bear said:

Both of these are really good, especially the updated Ravens. Can't wait to see more. 

Thank you, here is some more, namely the Panthers and the Bears!

 

First being Carolina:

Logos

y7lxK7j.png

-I actually really like the Panthers' logo set. The new update makes the logo seem sharp and fierce, especially on a black background like the helmet is for this series. I eliminated silver to distance them from the Lions, focusing on black, electric blue, and white. I also made an effort to incorporate the new wordmarks into the identity, so they are seen on the jerseys.

 

Uniforms

06at5Hd.pngFpbCx3S.pngDK1qUhB.pngQn00VmG.png

-With all the talk in the other thread about a possible Panthers rebrand, I thought the timing of this was fitting. Noticeably I switched the helmet to black in the absence of silver, and decided to go with a three-stripe "claw mark" pattern throughout the set. The stripes on the jersey remain in the same spot that the current, real-life sleeve stripes reside. Overall, the new stripes were an effort to make the helmet, jersey, and pants consistent.

-I went with an italicized number font based off of the wordmark, which fits the sleek, sharp look of a panther. I initially opted for no outline, but added one because I like how it looks on the black jersey.

-Although the home & away are shown currently with white pants, I would say the Panthers would wear black pants about half of the time still. I think the black-out look at home could be really sweet.

-For the Color Rush, I stayed with the electric blue, but almost went with solid black numbers, like the wordmark. I decided to ultimately keep the alternate jersey numbers, just because. If you guys want to see what the black numbers would look like, I can make that happen.

 

Now here come Da Bears!

 

Logos

dY44hyo.png

-The Bears are classic, they stay pretty much the same besides the removal of the "GSH" on the sleeves and the readdition of an orange alternate.

 

Uniforms

MBs6jg2.pngszjNYBJ.png05dulH5.pngm6ZyiYe.pngwqu6CPt.png

-The only change I made for the Bears was to flip the colors of the stripes on the navy pants in order to match the sleeves of both the home & away jerseys.

-I also added the orange alternate back, this time with navy numbers based on the 1930's jersey. I also added the orange pants because I actually really like the infamous "Madden" look.

-I kept all-navy for the Color Rush, I actually think it looks pretty good.

 

I'd love to hear any comments you guys have on what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now