infrared41's Best and Worst - 2018 NFL Week 3

infrared41

Week three was a very solid week of uniform match ups. We got another full best list and the competition for the top spot was really tough. It would have been very easy to have a best list of 1a thru 1d, but to me, that's a cop out. Just two games on the worst list this week. As always, the lists are just for fun and they're just my opinion. Your opinion is may be different than mine or others who post in the thread and that's perfectly OK. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms.  Put 60 seconds on the clock and let's play our game.

BEST:

1. Packers - Redskins: This week there were four games that could have taken this slot. It was that close. I went back and forth quite a few times before finally deciding that this game was the match up I liked the best. Of the four contenders, I thought this game had the best contrast in colors. That's what put it over the top. Great looking game. They all should look this good.

E0Iy0mt.jpg

2. 49ers - Chiefs: Another great looking match up. Probably takes the top spot most weeks. Some of you will argue it should have taken the top spot this week. I wouldn't argue too much. Every game should look this good. 

foGMVbr.jpg

3. Colts - Super Bowl Champion Eagles: I'm guessing that this one getting the third spot over the games behind it might result in some "you are so wrong, 'red." What can I say? I really liked the way the colors worked off each other in this game. Also, the Super Bowl Champion Eagles are probably this year's "improvement through attrition" team. For those of you new to my lists, the "improvement through attrition" team is a team that moves up a spot or two on the best looking uniforms list because a different team ruined its uniforms. This year, Philly will pick up the spots left open by the Titans. This might be Philly's second season as the improvement through attrition team. I don't remember. Anyway, this was a really good looking game. 

HebwkcA.jpg

4. Bills - Vikings: Another game that could have taken the top spot this week. Honestly, even I'm a little surprised I liked the games ahead of this one better. This game was a perfect example of when a team going all white improves the match up. Had the Bills gone with the blue pants, there would have been a little too much blue and purple fighting with each other. The all white was the perfect compliment to the Vikings home uniforms. This game is also a perfect example of how to update a football uniform. This is what "respect the past, embrace the future" should look like - every time.

6RCfOg1.jpg

5. Giants - Texans: Another example of all white working better than white over a dark color in a match up. Put the Texans in the navy pants and there is way too much blue fighting for attention. Good looking match up. Love the helmets.

Xxk9Yx7.jpg

WORST:

1. Saints - Falcons: The Saints and those awful black pants matched up with those tired, dated, ugly Falcons uniforms. We've seen worse, but not this week.

p3jHa55.jpg

2. Titans - Jaguars: Lots of good colors here. The problem is the execution of those colors is not the greatest. This game wasn't entirely awful, but it wasn't good either. I see this game and I think about what could have been. At least the Jags look a little better than they did last season. Plenty of potential here, but that's about it.

V9M0XGm.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for taking the time to drop by. 

BB52Big.jpg

Good list. 

For my tastes, I’d remove Colts/Eagles, move 4 and 5 up a spot, and put Titans/Jags at #5. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

39 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Jags should never wear that combo again..... the teal pants look so out of place. 

I feel the exact opposite. I think this is the best possible road combo for the jags. I know it has its problems but its the best we will get until they change uniforms again. 

Packers-Redskins would have been my #1 if the home team were wearing white. I'm unhappy with the return of the white pants, as they should only wear burgundy-gold-burgundy or white-burgundy-white. 49ers-Chiefs looks best to me, with Vikings-Bills second (never dug the midnight green Eagles). No argument with the worsts. I was a little surprised you didn't have an honorable mention for that AFL classic with the Raiders in black against the Dolphins in white at home, but that Dolphins uniform does have problems even with the new numbers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I was a little surprised you didn't have an honorable mention for that AFL classic with the Raiders in black against the Dolphins in white at home, but that Dolphins uniform does have problems even with the new numbers.

Put the Dolphins in this uniform and we're talking AFL classic.

3+horsemen.jpg

The current Dolphins look isn't bad enough to make my worst list and it's not good enough to make the best list. It's a perfectly mediocre NFL uniform. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Put the Dolphins in this uniform and we're talking AFL classic.

3+horsemen.jpg

The current Dolphins look isn't bad enough to make my worst list and it's not good enough to make the best list. It's a perfectly mediocre NFL uniform. 

Would it be fair to say, if this week wasnt so stacked, the game might have made your best list? Or was this game always destined for the "oh so close" category

Very, very solid week. Too bad all the weeks cant look this good

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

27 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Would it be fair to say, if this week wasnt so stacked, the game might have made your best list?

Nope. Just my opinion, but the Dolphins current look is plain old boring. It's not awful, but it's not good enough to land a spot on my best list either. As I said in my previous post, it's a perfectly mediocre uniform. It would help if the first three things I think of when I see the Dolphins logo weren't toothpaste, cruise line, or amusement park sign. The best thing the Dolphins could do would be to bring these back full time. Do that and they'll be spending a lot of time on my best list. B)

eZoFpSR.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Not surprised but a little disappointed the Browns v Jets didn't make it. Jets in their green pants looked pretty clean against a Browns look that, while not perfect (I'm rarely a brown on brown advocate), harkens back to a simpler, more classic, and better identity. Lots of details to fix on their current duds but their brown jersey is easily their worst look and this alternate is a breath of fresh air.

It was a solid color matchup and an electrifying atmosphere on Thursday Night Football, worth a mention IMO... But you tend to be tough on your hometown boys (for good reason). 

ojj12ggjp23vnyh1h8xz.jpg

Also, I remained firmly in the minority camp on liking the Bucs current look, but MNF wasn't half bad either with the Steelers classic white look against a pewter/red/pewter combo. 

AR-309259896.jpg?MaxW=950&cachebuster=73

I'm not as hard on the Titans as some, but that game does look bad, given that both teams are wearing three major colors with dark helmets. And I agree that leaving off the Raiders/Dolphins was a mistake. Great matchup of black v white.

zuvnhhlidt50rvc9ulha.jpg

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

Not surprised but a little disappointed the Browns v Jets didn't make it. Jets in their green pants looked pretty clean against a Browns look that, while not perfect (I'm rarely a brown on brown advocate), harkens back to a simpler, more classic, and better identity. Lots of details to fix on their current duds but their brown jersey is easily their worst look and this alternate is a breath of fresh air.

It was a solid color matchup and an electrifying atmosphere on Thursday Night Football, worth a mention IMO... But you tend to be tough on your hometown boys (for good reason). 

ojj12ggjp23vnyh1h8xz.jpg

I love the Browns CR jersey, but the brown pants? Ugh. The Browns CR jersey paired with white pants and the same two orange stripes  from the CR pants would be a great look. FTR, my hometown boys wearing all white have made the best list quite a few times over the past couple seasons. I’m not that tough on them. If anything, I’m probably not tough enough on them. 

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

zuvnhhlidt50rvc9ulha.jpg

I can’t believe how much removing the navy helped this look. I already liked the look before they changed it, but now it’s 1000x better. Against the Raiders, another great-looking team... if I made lists like these, this would probably be #2-3. (Vikings-Bills would be #1)

ExJworW.png

Eagles / Colts gets my vote this week and i'd mark it as a potential best of the year. i like both uniforms to begin with, but paired together you get a really pleasant, strong contrast and that game was played on grass, in the rain. beautiful conditions for a football game. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

If the SBCPE were in white jerseys / green pants, and the colts were in their blue, it woulda improved it a bit 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I can’t believe how much removing the navy helped this look. I already liked the look before they changed it, but now it’s 1000x better. Against the Raiders, another great-looking team... if I made lists like these, this would probably be #2-3. (Vikings-Bills would be #1)

I agree it's better to drop the navy, as two outlines is rarely as good as one and the colors work so well together. However, I'm conflicted by the fact that the logo still has navy. I liked going away from the cartoon dolphin but that detail still bothers me.

And while the throwbacks are really nice, the old stripes feel dated for the Dolphins. For them, and this is a rare thing for me, I prefer the clean look with just the logos on the sleeves.

22 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I agree it's better to drop the navy, as two outlines is rarely as good as one and the colors work so well together. However, I'm conflicted by the fact that the logo still has navy. I liked going away from the cartoon dolphin but that detail still bothers me.

And while the throwbacks are really nice, the old stripes feel dated for the Dolphins. For them, and this is a rare thing for me, I prefer the clean look with just the logos on the sleeves.

We always try to accommodate here at infrared's House of Uniforms and Gaming Emporium. Throwbacks - no sleeve stripes. B)

aec76e2f9829bbf10e946ff203400902.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Eagles / Colts gets my vote this week and i'd mark it as a potential best of the year. i like both uniforms to begin with, but paired together you get a really pleasant, strong contrast and that game was played on grass, in the rain. beautiful conditions for a football game. 

Colts - Eagles got strong consideration for the top spot this week. I really liked how it looked. In the end, the lack of sunshine was why I dropped it to #3. To each his own, I guess. 

BB52Big.jpg

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If the SBCPE were in white jerseys / green pants, and the colts were in their blue, it woulda improved it a bit 

I think they have used green at home exclusively for regular season and playoff games since Doug Pedersen became coach.

Archived