The Evolving Buffalo Sabres Logo

Axis_of_Weasel

I know one of the reasons the sabres switched from the original logo to the goat head logo in 1995 was because of the inconsistencies during manufacture of the logo crests. if you've ever seen very early jerseys, you can easily notice the differences. does anyone have a history of this?

i included 2 pics. it's kinda hard to tell but the features of the first are all sewn on - the buffalo, swords and motion lines are a separate layer of fabric, only the handles are embroidered. this was from an authentic circa 1993. it is also my personal fave.

in the second, everything is embroidered. this is from an authentic from 2007, and it looks like they were using this consistently during the recent throwbacks.

DSC_4176.jpg

DSC_4177.jpg

I know one of the reasons the sabres switched from the original logo to the goat head logo in 1995 was because of the inconsistencies during manufacture of the logo crests.

Fascinating. I wonder if they used an actual sabre to literally cut off their nose to spite their face.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think all or most of the NHL jersey crests were layered instead of embroidered back in the day. I have an "Authentic" 79-80 Mitchell and Ness Islanders jersey, and the only thing embroidered is the Island itself. Each individual letter, as well as the NY with the puck and stick.

New York Yankees~27 World Championships

I know one of the reasons the sabres switched from the original logo to the goat head logo in 1995 was because of the inconsistencies during manufacture of the logo crests.

Fascinating. I wonder if they used an actual sabre to literally cut off their nose to spite their face.

I'd bet that a major professional franchise could just tell it's licensees to get the damn logo right, rather than change their entire identity, down to the colors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Allow me to slightly complicate things. This is an early Sabres logo from a jersey I have been unable to date. I can tell you that the tag in the collar is white with red type and says "Sandow Sporting Knit Inc. ". It was made in Canada and the tag is bilingual. The material is not the same as "Sandknit". You can see the coarse weave, especially on the sleeve.

MVC-001F.jpg

The logo is entirely embroidered other than the blue circle. The embroidery on the bull is done in vertical rows, not unlike mowing the lawn. In addition, clearly the grip on the saber is quite different than in later years, as are the "motion" lines.

BroncosSig.jpg

Wow. Is it really that hard to get this logo consistent? I can freehand draw the damn logo and come closer then some of these variations. Seems lazy to me. Its not like its that complex. The most complex elements are the handles on the sabres (which noone seems to be able to get right) and the overall shape of a relatively simple buffalo silhouette.

Hopefully they'll go back to this entire look full time. Easily one of Hockey's best.

Cut off your nose to Spiderface.

tumblr_komghyxtej1qzr1vco1_500.png

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Archived