Concepts from Camp.

Spammy

First off, I was required to make up a fictional Coffee shop, Using the name SURGE. I already had an idea. I wanted to use warm colors, so I used Brown and Tan. My first idea for this was to incorporate a banner, and easy to recognize emblem, I started looking at using lightning bolts, power plants, and coffee. I was unsuccessful on those and asked my instructor what she thought, she was indifferent and said "go with my gut." After that, I started looking at location, First I used Arizona, as it is my home state, but was uninspired, Then a group member walked by wearing a Clemson sweatshirt, so I thought of South Carolina. I then remembered that Palmetto Trees in South Carolina are like Cacti In Arizona, so I used that. I thought It turned out pretty decent. But want to see what you guys think. So here is the Surge Coffee logo. I'll wait for some C+C before adding my other project.

Main Logo: My main logo I tried using a Shield shape with a banner, I drew inspiration from the Palmetto and Crescent and used it. I used Aldo as my font, and I included a coffee cup in the center.

path3687.png

Business Card: I tried using a mix of stripes and simplicity here.

path4728.png

Flier: I wanted to do something that would draw attention, and I did it very subtly I think, I added a notch in the V in Live Music, witch draws my attention to it and I hope your guys' too.

text2944.png

Coffee cup: This is supposed to be a coffee house, where you get actual cups, so what I did was Find a coffee cup template and put the logo on it, using beige as the background.

path3213.png

Thanks in advance for C+C -Sam

Nothing about this say "Coffee" or "Surge". You have this shield that dominates the design, and the only thing coffee related is a tiny icon in the middle of the banner.

Your primary imagery should either be coffee or surge. Google "coffee logos" and look what comes up. You're not likely to find a strong memorable logo that doesn't reference either coffee or the name itself.

The simplest idea is sometimes the best. Why not have a coffee cup, but have lightning/s-type bolts coming from the top?

How about just playing off the S in Surge?

Your designs themselves aren't bad...you're not afraid to stray from all centered text. I don't think the font choice works, though; if you're trying to use a modern looking font, I'd get away from all caps.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think you might have to fix the "Surge Coffee" text, it doesn't really seem to follow the same curve of the ribbon underneath. You also used an illustration of a coffee cup on the logo, it shows the cup with 2 stripes. You should try to keep things consistent with all your items, so maybe use 2 stripes on everything, even the Mug? Sort of the way adidas uses 3 stripes, it could be your trademark to make mugs/recognizable from a far distance, even if someone can't see the logo

just suggestions

You're on the right track, but you need to fix some things to make it more professional.

1. COFFEE on the right side of the banner looks awkward. It needs to be curved more to follow the path of the banner.

2. The crescent moon in the background shouldn't be the same color as the tree. Make the moon a lighter color, but one that still fits the color scheme of the rest of the logo.

3. The tree is off-center, and overlaps the side of the shield. It just doesn't look right, but you may have intended for it to be like that.

It's a good logo, nonetheless. I am interested in what you will do with it to make it better.

Punch9

This is pretty nice actually, Sam. First off on the "LIVE MUSIC" poster, the notches in the V and E really clash with the rest of the overall set. The palmetto and crescent is rendered very nicely, and your business card and poster look very nice. I really dig the colors here, and I like the font choice. This is definitely one of your best designs you've ever cranked out. Nice job.

6fQjS3M.png

Definitely getting better there.

Also, try resizing your images before hosting them. Every one of yours is so large that the board resizes them to -infinity%.

VmWIn6B.png

Not really a fan of this. The colors are nice, but the logo has a bit too many elements. I think for coffee, simplicity is best; either that or uber complex like Starbucks. I agree with slapshot, i think a simple stylized coffee mug with lightning bolt steam coming out would be great, and a simple clean wordmark below.

The CHARLESTON text arc doesn't fit the banner arc. On that note, I think you should use an "arch" effect rather than an arc. Notice how the ends of the banners are completely straight, but the end of the letters are at an angle. They should be the same angle (in this case, 90 degrees).

Also, this is more of a general tip, but stay with no more than two (three max) different stroke widths, usually best if you stay with one. On a quick count, you've got about 8 different stroke widths. Every shape that has a stroke is different, there's no unity. I think a lot of elements in the logo would look better without the stroke actually.

Keep it up, I'd love to see an update spam man.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Alright guys, Im reworking it now, using a simpler font (Myriad) and its looking a lot better. Also trying unifying stuff such as the cup and stripes. Also witch ones do you think would look better without?

It's a little big. Resize your images before posting them, It's a pain in the ass to scroll to see the whole image :P

On the other hand, this is REALLY cool. The thunderbolt cup is a great idea. Try cleaning it up, and making sure the lines are straight. Right now parts of it are jutting out, and lines are going in different angles. I would also try a different color scheme. When I think of Surge, I think of vibrant colors, not Brown and Black.

i think the coffee cup/S icon is strong enough. you can do away with the shield now. for a typeface i would go with something a bit more aggressive, maybe Futura or the other way with something lowercase and rounded to balance the sharp edges of the icon.

the colors are terrible. i think if you're going to go with brown and tan then you need to do away with black all together. let dark brown replace all that is black, and bring in a 3rd color that has some energy. this is SURGE! maybe light blue? or orange? the icon dosnt need the strokes either so try working without them as well

try presenting this on a colored background too. a nice light brown to medium brown gradient could be nice.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i think the coffee cup/S icon is strong enough. you can do away with the shield now. for a typeface i would go with something a bit more aggressive, maybe Futura or the other way with something lowercase and rounded to balance the sharp edges of the icon.

the colors are terrible. i think if you're going to go with brown and tan then you need to do away with black all together. let dark brown replace all that is black, and bring in a 3rd color that has some energy. this is SURGE! maybe light blue? or orange? the icon dosnt need the strokes either so try working without them as well

try presenting this on a colored background too. a nice light brown to medium brown gradient could be nice.

Like this?

path42456.png

That font still doesn't work for me.

You're getting there for sure. Put it on a nice tan background though. I think it'd look great if you even let the bolt out of its cage a little, if you know what I mean. Try extending the bottom of the bolt below the cup, maybe having the sides extend a bit further, make it even more abstract.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

That font still doesn't work for me.

You're getting there for sure. Put it on a nice tan background though. I think it'd look great if you even let the bolt out of its cage a little, if you know what I mean. Try extending the bottom of the bolt below the cup, maybe having the sides extend a bit further, make it even more abstract.

And you could also make the lid look like it popped off because it just got shot by a bolt of lightning.

Come on, you're selling SURGE COFFEE!! Not Surge Coffee.

Archived