Evolution of the current Buffalo Sabres identity.

daschuck77

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it's ironic that Sabres fans love to hate on the Buffaslug but praise this mess:

Seriously? It looks like an 8-year-old tried to draw a buffalo, and failed miserably. This logo is ten times worse than the Slug in my book.

Some people have no respect for the classics.

This logo is proof that ANYTHING can be considered a classic if its been around long enough. This logo is a trainwreck for the following reasons...

01) The Buffalo looks like its cut out of a stencil. Theres no depth or dimension whatsoever. Just flat, static and lifeless.

02) Logically the Buffalo should be leaping through the sabres. Instead it looks a few seconds away from being sliced in half by the left one.

03) The motion lines only add to this confusion as they are going in completely different directions.

04) The Buffalo isn't even centered on crest and its very noticeable

05) The Blades of Sabres have no dimension or depth either.

06) Theres no barely any contrast when this logo is applied to the blue jersey as its primarily blue as well. Reversing the colours (think Whalers/Nordiques) would go a long way to fixing this.

Honestly this is the most overated logo on these boards.

I just think it's ironic that Sabres fans love to hate on the Buffaslug but praise this mess:

230.gif

Seriously? It looks like an 8-year-old tried to draw a buffalo, and failed miserably. This logo is ten times worse than the Slug in my book.

While that logo is good, it's certainly not the best hockey logo of all-time, and slightly overrated in my book. But it's a lot better than this...

ioxjye9im9phdgfyfxvj1xb71.gif

I mean, you guys do know what a basketball is supposed to look like, right?

Can't agree. The modern one is superior in every way to my eye. The only thing better would have been to use the full-body shark:

sharks.jpg

And at least the designer familiarized himself with the sport's basic equipment between the first and second incarnations of the logo. More or less.

This logo is proof that ANYTHING can be considered a classic if its been around long enough. This logo is a trainwreck for the following reasons...

01) The Buffalo looks like its cut out of a stencil. Theres no depth or dimension whatsoever. Just flat, static and lifeless.

02) Logically the Buffalo should be leaping through the sabres. Instead it looks a few seconds away from being sliced in half by the left one.

03) The motion lines only add to this confusion as they are going in completely different directions.

06) Theres no barely any contrast when this logo is applied to the blue jersey as its primarily blue as well. Reversing the colours (think Whalers/Nordiques) would go a long way to fixing this.

And I honestly think you're just finding reasons to :censored: on it.

Maybe I am biased because it's my hometown team. Maybe.

I could keep arguing but I'm sure you won't see it in any other way than the view you've already formed, so thanks for sharing.

bufg.png

And I honestly think you're just finding reasons to :censored: on it.

Maybe I am biased because it's my hometown team. Maybe.

I could keep arguing but I'm sure you won't see it in any other way than the view you've already formed, so thanks for sharing.

Im not finding ways to cr@p on it because of some personal bias. Honestly before I knew anything about hockey logos, tradition, and everything else discussed on these boards I never thought the Sabres original logo and jerseys were visual appealing. But then I thought the 1996 rebrand was a spectacular step in the right direction when it came out so what do I know? Its great that you`re passionate about your team and its logo. I just have a differing opinion. There are lots of logos I like on these boards that get continually trashed on these boards too (ie: the Lighting`s original logo and the Dallas Stars). To each and his own.

I go back and forth on the "classic" Sabres logo. A lot.

Part of me thinks that it's garbage and only the "they should go back to!!!!" idiots like it. I do think that if it was released today, it would be panned - quickly.

Part of me thinks that it's plainness and simplicity do make it classic. It represents "buffalo" and "sabres". Kinda cool. I liked the Goat era a lot (a lot more than most of you), but I can understand the feelings for this logo. It's not comically bad, and does have a certain "crest"-like quality to it (can't think of the word I'm looking for - it's kind of like a royal coat of arms in a way, but not really.)

Either way - the Slug was the worst. That's not a knock on the designer - in fact, in response to the designer (assuming that it's really him), I'm not sure that most of us ever took personal shots. Most of us are mature enough to understand the employer / employee relationship, and blame the team as opposed to the designer for the Slug disaster. I'm not sure that even one of us would turn down a paycheck rather than deliver something that we didn't really believe in. I certainly wouldn't. Pay me, bitch.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's a classic.

Also, just because your favorite team uses it, doesn't mean it's a classic.

Not a Sabres fan, and that logos is excellent and classic. You don't know anything. It's been proven. Please, shut up, for the love of god, shut up. I am really getting tired of your nonsensical bulls**t. Shut up.

Sorry, that's been building up...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

How is it "nonsensical"? Outside of this forum, I've never seen that Sabres logo referred to as a classic, and most of the people who insist it's a classic on here are Sabres fans.

Also, it's not like I'm the only one saying it isn't classic. On this page of this thread alone, there's a couple other posts that claim it isn't classic. Why aren't you going after them? I know I'm one of the CCSLC's favorite punching bags because of my awful start on this forum, but some people need to get over their grudges.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

How is it "nonsensical"? Outside of this forum, I've never seen that Sabres logo referred to as a classic, and most of the people who insist it's a classic on here are Sabres fans.

Most hockey fans i've ever spoken with say that the original Sabres logo is a great hockey crest, and is indeed a classic. These aren't Sabres fans.

Is the logo filled with shadows, seven colors, 3-d effects, gradients? No, but that is what makes it a good logo. It gets the message across. "Buffalo" and "Sabres". Simple, and yes, classic. Like the Devils "NJ" with the horns and tail. Not flashy, but simple. Classic. Does it's job, is pleasing to look at, and INSTANTLY recognizable.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Plus, to add onto what JQK said - hockey crests are different from most sports logos, due to the fact that they're supposed to be simple as well as timeless. While it's true they might technically be considered a "sports logo" it doesn't mean they're supposed to be like the NBA, MLB, or NFL, where they update their identity every three to five :censored: years. They're supposed to stand the test of time, and be instantly recognizable with the city and team. Take a look at the Atlanta Thrashers' logo. Sure it might look cool, but it doesn't work for a hockey team at all. Then, take for example the New Jersey Devils. It's simple and timeless, circular like a hockey puck, you've got the N and J, with a pair of horns and tail, not to mention the best part of the logo - the colors. Red and Black are perfect for a team called the "Devils" and maybe someday they could update like Boston did with their uniforms recently and modernize their look, but overall, it's perfect.

Most hockey fans i've ever spoken with say that the original Sabres logo is a great hockey crest, and is indeed a classic. These aren't Sabres fans.

Is the logo filled with shadows, seven colors, 3-d effects, gradients? No, but that is what makes it a good logo. It gets the message across. "Buffalo" and "Sabres". Simple, and yes, classic. Like the Devils "NJ" with the horns and tail. Not flashy, but simple. Classic. Does it's job, is pleasing to look at, and INSTANTLY recognizable.

I agree with this.

This logo was created in the early 70s, and should remain as it is. It's been updated slightly over the years of use, but has kept the same design.

Similar to the Bruins, Rangers, Leafs, and a few others. Some hockey logos are hockey logos for a reason.

IMO, the slug logo isn't a bad logo in general, but for a primary hockey logo, no.

bufg.png

The old/current Sabres crest COULD be as iconic as you people say it is, but it needs fixing. For one thing, the motion lines need to be ditched, and the buffalo needs to actually look more like a buffalo instead of a blob. The Sabres should take inspiration from the Lions' current logo on how to simply but accurately depict an animal. Said updated buffalo should also look like it's jumping through the sabres instead of to the side. I would try to make this logo myself as a concept but I'm not good at drawing.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

For one thing, the motion lines need to be ditched, and the buffalo needs to actually look more like a buffalo instead of a blob.

It's not that unrecognizable as a "blob"

I feel like you're overthinking this and taking it too literal instead of just as a depiction of the name of a hockey team.

bufg.png

Archived