Evolution of the current Buffalo Sabres identity.

daschuck77

I came across these today by accident when trying to research the new Buffalo Bills uniform change. They are from the Sabres Director of Creative Services Frank Cravotta's own portfolio that available on coroflot.com. It shows early versions of the 2006 slug logo where we did see an attempt to incorporate the swords into the design. It's hard to speculate when or if RBK stepped in to mandate the Sabres try to accomidate the 'form fitting post-lockout' jerseys that minority owner Larry Quinn claimed was the reason for the logo to begin with. I think the very 1st sketch might have barely passed with the fans if developed further. Note the near final jersey which show a vintage logo shoulder patch, pant numbers, and a small wordmark. The second is a collection of draft sketches and variations the 40th anniversary jersey.

original_256607_ejzF1wmsKiUj179aKiyUlKZRm.jpg

original_256607_5W_HhMYXMHI9Rk6RZNMMwCN4m.jpg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The buffaslug doesn't look as hideous with the shield. It's still awful but it's more bearable. Looking back the buffaslug jerseys actually had nice striping for something modern, and it would be cool if another team started using it.

The buffaslug doesn't look as hideous with the shield. It's still awful but it's more bearable. Looking back the buffaslug jerseys actually had nice striping for something modern, and it would be cool if another team started using it.

I had no problems with the original jersey styling...just the logo. A local apparel guy came up with a concept logo and sold them on some Kobe brand replica jerseys. I picked up a couple. The new 'updated' crest would have looked great on the new style jersey.

DSC00504.jpg

No offense, but that logo isn't that great. It looks like a copy and paste job, with the old Buffalo 3rd jersey crest recolored, and the original buffalo pasted between the Sabers. It looks very forced, and they should've either used the Buffaslug, or an updated version of the full-bodied buffalo instead. Adding a slight silver trim to the buffalo doesn't qualify as a true update of it.

No offense, but that logo isn't that great. It looks like a copy and paste job, with the old Buffalo 3rd jersey crest recolored, and the original buffalo pasted between the Sabers. It looks very forced, and they should've either used the Buffaslug, or an updated version of the full-bodied buffalo instead. Adding a slight silver trim to the buffalo doesn't qualify as a true update of it.

I would think that Frank Cravotta may actually feel the same way, otherwise, if he felt this was a true update, he would have included the new updated version in his portfolio. While most fans are seem happy with it, he probably is upset because so many people took a dump on his slug.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing this.

Ironic that the 2006 logo looked less and less like a Buffalo the more it "Evolved." The second and third versions of this logo don't look too bad... at least comparitively speaking.

The jerseys at the very least confirm that the design was made for the Reebok Edge Uniform system first before being shoehorned onto the CCM 6100 cut for the 2006-07 season. But then again, the cut seems to slightly differ. Perhaps this was a prototype of the jerseys that were supposed to be released right after the lockout? You know the ones that would have seen the Red Wings don uniforms of Red, White and Black with Silver reflective piping?

i'm getting

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

−

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access Denied</Message>

<RequestId>93D40B89B3C7ACFD</RequestId>

−

<HostId>

9S30e3e8mPg3WYdscQWB4hxWzWXlUzwVvzZQjKD0i9JNfgiarkRFeiMfLtbOJxDu

</HostId>

</Error>

I have no idea what that means or how to get around it. any ideas?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I would think that Frank Cravotta may actually feel the same way, otherwise, if he felt this was a true update, he would have included the new updated version in his portfolio. While most fans are seem happy with it, he probably is upset because so many people took a dump on his slug.

It's biggest flaw was a lack of legs. The whole logo isn't bad, it's just lacking in that department, since it's clear he tried to make the crest into the Buffalo Bills of hockey. But that being said, the Buffaslug, Sluggalo, or whatever you wish to call it, makes a rather nice TATC uniform, but not a permanent identity.

Besides, let's face it, the original logo is held on such a high pedestal that anything else would be criticized to death.

The logo has many more flaws in addition to the lack of legs.

Celsius Designs posted some pretty nice modernizations of the original logo a few years ago. IIRC they were better than what they eventually went with after the buffaslug finally died.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Besides, let's face it, the original logo is held on such a high pedestal that anything else would be criticized to death.

The Black and Red era did last a decade despite the "goat head" logo.

One can hardly say that that jarring change to their identity was well-received, despite it lasting for longer than the Buffaslug. Living next-door to a family who were transplants from Buffalo, and being that I went to a school with many students who were originally from California, Texas, and the Great Lakes region (most specifically, western New York). I never heard anything but contempt for the Black and Red Era. I can only go off of personal experience, and my experience is that both were blasted pretty heavily by critics. Primarily with people complaining about the shift in identity only working if the Buffalo Sabres had been actually founded in 1996, to those stating that it was a blatant attempt to subversively advertise HSBC as one of their main sponsors. The Buffaslug was well-received in terms of jersey sales, and was slightly influential for a bit with the chest numbers. But most Sabres fans only liked the the fact the team returned to blue and gold, as well as the actual jersey design, with complaints only stemming from the main crest.

I personally liked it, and it's probably the most controversial jersey I like, but I still like the classic and current designs much better, all that being said.

Archived